Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Not a big fan of the new Eoin mix, didn't help that an interview with Gab Marcotti followed it!

Probably not helped by the use of the Barcelona question quote about managing them which is fairly well used already

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

jooksavage wrote: »
    Why does Gab always sound like he's after completing a marathon gets on the phone?

The exertion of his own spoofery leaves him in a state of permanent breathless indignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Arghus wrote: »
    The exertion of his own spoofery leaves him in a state of permanent breathless indignation.

He is a complete spoofer, like so many involved in sports discussion. Graham Hunter is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I don't necessarily agree with you, I find him pretty affable most of the time, but the craftsmanship of your sentence, and the fact that it put a huge smile on my face just made me need to acknowledge it more than a simple "Thanks". :pac:

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I don't necessarily agree with you, I find him pretty affable most of the time...

Marcotti isn't as nauseating as Graham Hunter, I'll give him that, but I'd still rather not hear him most of the time.

I imagine hell is something like being stuck in a lift, with the two of them arguing into eternity about football.

While I'm bashing journalists - Does anyone else find that Tim Vickery grates on them after a while? Don't get me wrong - He's an excellent jounalist whose knowledge of football is outstanding. I just find that, for all the interesting things he has to say, he repeats himself a hell of a lot. If you listen to the world football phone in podcast regularly enough you'll find yourself listening to some amazing stuff from him; but you'll also have to listen to the same introductory anecdotes again and again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 A Shopkeeper

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Probably not helped by the use of the Barcelona question quote about managing them which is fairly well used already

Yeah that was pretty lazy considering the amount of content they have to take from. Also, wasn't it also another Die Antwoord track in the background?

Still though, their other ones are top drawer so maybe they were just testing the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Marcotti isn't as nauseating as Graham Hunter, I'll give him that, but I'd still rather not hear him most of the time.

I imagine hell is something like being stuck in a lift, with the two of them arguing into eternity about football.

While I'm bashing journalists - Does anyone else find that Tim Vickery grates on them after a while? Don't get me wrong - He's an excellent jounalist whose knowledge of football is outstanding. I just find that, for all the interesting things he has to say, he repeats himself a hell of a lot. If you listen to the world football phone in podcast regularly enough you'll find yourself listening to some amazing stuff from him; but you'll also have to listen to the same introductory anecdotes again and again and again.

I really like Tim Vickery, but like all football journalists, he repeats stories that we have heard before eleswhere. As long as there interesting, I'm ok with it.

What are peoples opinions on Jonathan Wilson?

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    I really like Tim Vickery, but like all football journalists, he repeats stories that we have heard before eleswhere. As long as there interesting, I'm ok with it.

What are peoples opinions on Jonathan Wilson?

I think Jonathan Wilson is excellent. Always love to hear him on Second Captains.

One of the best football journos around. He might be a bit dry for some but I could listen to him examine football all day. So many journalists rely on whispered half-truths they've heard from dressing rooms, other journalists, or agents. Not that there isn't merit in that sometimes, but sometimes you know guys are bluffing a bit - most football journalists fall into this camp: Ken, Graham Hunter, Philipe Auclair, Marcotti, Dion Fanning.... Especially Dion Fanning - Just giving their opinion. I much prefer Wilson's analytical approach and he's got serious knowledge about the game (a lot like Tim Vickery has also, despite me giving out about him a bit). He's a good listener too-he never loses his cool or fails to acknowledge a valid alternate view.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Didn't think it was possible, but Kens FA cup 4th round goals report actually got better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

The highlight for me was the hilariously overwrought Owls. vs. Shrews metaphor: Shrewsbury avoided being turned into "a tiny pellet of hair and claws" and their terrible defense means they have to "consume their own body-weight in goals"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ken was just on fire in the latest football podcast: "it's like the splinter was pulled out of the foot of the dressing room when Mourinho left".:D

What's the story with the podcast getting longer each week I wonder? I guess they can do it as long as they have material for...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

That's the nature of podcasting, they're as long as they need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sanchez took a stick and jammed it into Burnley's spokes, making sure all the jokes were on Vokes and the other blokes.

I love F.A. Cup gooooooals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Listened to both shows yesterday...fell asleep during the U.S. Murph bit, quick question - I know there's a new Ken Burley sketch, is it in the pod or where is it??

I'd love an F.A. Cup 1st Round edition of Gooooooals next year.

It'd be like six hours long, but it'd be epic!

Oh, fun fact, as of the latest JNLRs, SC are beating 2FM's Game On pretty regularly based on just their Soundcloud playcount. Latest episode has almost 20k listeners after less than 24 hours, Game On has 18,000 listeners each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Oh, fun fact, as of the latest JNLRs, SC are beating 2FM's Game On pretty regularly based on just their Soundcloud playcount. Latest episode has almost 20k listeners after less than 24 hours, Game On has 18,000 listeners each night.

Hopefully RTE notice this as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Listened to both shows yesterday...fell asleep during the U.S. Murph bit, quick question - I know there's a new Ken Burley sketch, is it in the pod or where is it??

At the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm looking forward to listening to Ken on Monday after Leicester's win today! :D

I'm looking forward to listening to Ken on Monday after Leicester's win today! :D

Yes. He was unusually definite when attempting to call the result!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

"I could see City beating them 4-0"

:pac:

I think Ken is like me. Would absolutely love to see Leicester win (despite my own allegiance), but can't shake the feeling that it just will fall apart, because it'd be far too interesting if they were to win it. Even when they were 3-0 up yesterday, I thought City would still come back and draw 3-3 or something.

I think Ken is like me. Would absolutely love to see Leicester win (despite my own allegiance), but can't shake the feeling that it just will fall apart, because it'd be far too interesting if they were to win it. Even when they were 3-0 up yesterday, I thought City would still come back and draw 3-3 or something.

I think a lot of people, me included, are like that. I think Murph said during the week it would literally be the best Premiership season ever if Leicester can last the pace. And it would, it'd be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I think a lot of people, me included, are like that. I think Murph said during the week it would literally be the best Premiership season ever if Leicester can last the pace. And it would, it'd be brilliant.

Sounds like Murph alright.

Sounds like Murph alright.

Thought this too. He literally says literally too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ian Mackintosh on the Guardian Football Weekly is exactly the same. Really wants to them to win, but knows one of the usual suspects will end up doing it. Hope they're all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Football weekly are back in dublin march 22nd. 22e though is a crazy price. I went last time but you get nothing but entry for that.

Ha, brilliant Ritchie Sadlier.

I'm sitting in Ken's seat today. I'm feeling a lot of pressure to get everything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

May have been mentioned but ad good as the little audio pieces they play between segments are they are seriously annoying, especially when it'd backed with an ad. I know they observe a purpose but it's the same ones and one or two are nearly a minute long and it's just odd filling that much time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

soc160 wrote: »
    May have been mentioned but ad good as the little audio pieces they play between segments are they are seriously annoying, especially when it'd backed with an ad. I know they observe a purpose but it's the same ones and one or two are nearly a minute long and it's just odd filling that much time.

They're very handy if you're not interested in a segment and want to skip ahead, a lot of podcast clients let you quickly spin 30 seconds ahead, so as long as those audio pieces are longer than that they're a handy identifier that the boring segment (read: GAA) is over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement