Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Im not liking the American radio style of playing a two second noise or audio in the middle of the talk recently. Really annoying. Soon it will be fart sounds and toilet flushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Beersmith wrote: »
    Im not liking the American radio style of playing a two second noise or audio in the middle of the talk recently. Really annoying. Soon it will be fart sounds and toilet flushes.

Yes! Thank you, I meant to post about this before now. I bloody hate it. Once in a while is fine, but they're becoming far too common for my liking.

I mean, I listened back to the lads on US Murph's show, and my good lord I don't know how anyone listens to the full show with all the sound effects and clips all the time. Not my cup of tea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Beersmith wrote: »

Going the way of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Really like the new "COACH" musical interlude. Cracks me up it does.

On a side note, about a subject mentioned many times before: Went back to listen to football weekly a few editions ago, first time in a while. I think that's it now: it's jumped the shark. They spent the first couple of minutes being condescending snooty twats because some people had the audacity to complain, through the comments section, about how standards had been slipping. First time in my life I found James Richardson irritating. Just seemed really petty and childish. It's not as if the existence of harsh criticism is a new phenomenon, so the fact that they went out of their way to bring it up, and to act arrogant about it, seemed like an ultra-defensive move of people who knows there's some truth there.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Ken "Sharing a dressing room with Gareth Bale is like sharing with a parsnip". Did laugh at that one. Slightly off topic but I find it unnaturally annoying that Bale wont/cant give interviews in Spanish. I remember being out there when he scored his brilliant goal against Barcelona in the copa del rey final and enduring his interview after. How difficult can it be to learn a few stock phrases (Messi will be as sick as a parrot for example)..sorry rant over

• Advertisement

Loved the mixup from Evan this week! Really stuck it to Mark!

Realbhoy wrote: »
    Ken "Sharing a dressing room with Gareth Bale is like sharing with a parsnip". Did laugh at that one. Slightly off topic but I find it unnaturally annoying that Bale wont/cant give interviews in Spanish. I remember being out there when he scored his brilliant goal against Barcelona in the copa del rey final and enduring his interview after. How difficult can it be to learn a few stock phrases (Messi will be as sick as a parrot for example)..sorry rant over

To be fair, after 14 years of Irish education in this country, I'd be willing o wager most people don't have enough stock phrases to give any sort of interview. #peopleinglasshouses :pac:

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    To be fair, after 14 years of Irish education in this country, I'd be willing o wager most people don't have enough stock phrases to give any sort of interview. #peopleinglasshouses :pac:

Ah yeah, but he's in a country where people are speaking a language all the time! Most people never spoke Irish outside the classroom in those 14 years.
    Bale has no excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    It's different trying to teach a 10 year old boy that doesn't give a bollócks about it from a hung over teacher compared to a man who knows it's important for his career and can have the best language teachers come over to his house for an hour a day and he lives in a Spanish speaking country!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Saw Ken was doing a colour piece for the election IN THE it...

WRITE ABOUT SPORT!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

"That's your face on that poster up there, you're a politician."

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I thought today might be the day that they'd stop ignoring the Irish rugby story (if not sporting story) of the year, but not a word about Connacht's fourth bonus point win in a row.

Did we really need 30 minutes of Shane Horgan talking about that try? They must have asked him the same question 20 times, and he somehow managed to find 20 different ways of giving the same response. We've heard it all before.

I don't listen to the football show much but I assume they haven't somehow contrived to go a full three months (the time that's passed since Connacht won in Thomand) without even mentioning Leicester City's results?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭batistuta9

They're only paying Leicester any real attention the last few weeks

I'd be the opposite only listen to the general show now & again, is there a separate feed for each does anyone know?
    Annoys me the unread ones in the podcast list :pac:

No goooooals this week, very disappointed! :(

Still two games to go in the round, I'd expect it on Thursday because they hinted it on last Thursday's pod.

Blame the dickheads on twitter moaning about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Cienciano wrote: »

I thought it was gas, I was settling in for the latest gooooooals episode, queue Eoins intro, the usual goooooooals theme music and then Ken saying "I'm not doing it Eoin". I'm sure we will be treated to more in the next round anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Cienciano wrote: »

Dickheads.

Edit: Phenomenal dickheads.

I'm sure the goals will be back.

Interesting theory from Jonathan Wilson about momentum. Though I'm not convinced that Arsenal lost form in 07-08 just because they lost heavily to Man United in the cup. The very next match after that cup game was the one in which Eduardo had his leg snapped at Birmingham, that was a massive psychological blow, far greater than the loss at Old Trafford. The team was punch drunk for a few matches after that and their league lead evaporated

Arghus wrote: »
    On a side note, about a subject mentioned many times before: Went back to listen to football weekly a few editions ago, first time in a while. I think that's it now: it's jumped the shark. They spent the first couple of minutes being condescending snooty twats because some people had the audacity to complain, through the comments section, about how standards had been slipping. First time in my life I found James Richardson irritating. Just seemed really petty and childish. It's not as if the existence of harsh criticism is a new phenomenon, so the fact that they went out of their way to bring it up, and to act arrogant about it, seemed like an ultra-defensive move of people who knows there's some truth there.
    I thought that section was funny. Looking forward to the live pod in Dublin, they need a bigger venue apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

HOUSE OF CARDS.

Still the funniest moment in my history of listening to the podcasts that.

Am I seeing it right on twitter, did they fly everyone who went to that Patrick Kluivert talk in town yesterday, over to see the Arsenal vs Barca game last night?

wardides wrote: »
    HOUSE OF CARDS.

Still the funniest moment in my history of listening to the podcasts that.

Am I seeing it right on twitter, did they fly everyone who went to that Patrick Kluivert talk in town yesterday, over to see the Arsenal vs Barca game last night?

I've gotten to the stage where I skip past any talk of Patrick Kluivert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

The one f*cking event I don't apply for tickets.

Rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

I thought it was gas, I was settling in for the latest gooooooals episode, queue Eoins intro, the usual goooooooals theme music and then Ken saying "I'm not doing it Eoin". I'm sure we will be treated to more in the next round anyway.

connundrum wrote:
    The one f*cking event I don't apply for tickets.

I want to know how they convince 20 lads to bring passboards with them for an event in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Spr1ngsteen

I want to know how they convince 20 lads to bring passboards with them for an event in Dublin.

Were told that we'd need to bring photo id to the event to prove we were over 18. Told it had to be Passport, drivers licence or garda age card.

Can travel to UK on any of these

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Were told that we'd need to bring photo id to the event to prove we were over 18. Told it had to be Passport, drivers licence or garda age card.

Can travel to UK on any of these

No Ryanair for them so!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ken spoiled the Revenant :mad:

But made up for it by comparing Wenger to a rich lad in a video arcade who keeps dying in a certain part of a game but keeps playing and won't let anyone else have a go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Does anyone else listen to Football Weekly?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Does anyone else listen to Football Weekly?

Yep. All the time.

As an Arsenal fan, however, I'm not sure if I can put myself through yesterday's pod.

• Advertisement

Facebook tells me it's 3 years to the day since the lads left NT... Bloody 'ell. I really would've expected RTE to take more of a punt on them on the radio by now if I'm honest, but I guess they're not easy to place anywhere since they don't want to work the 7pm onwards shift...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement