Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I'd imagine, based on how quickly Eoin tried to dismiss Des' talk, that there are some airtight, legally binding non disclosure agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭bren2001

Arghus wrote: »
    He was making reference to the tail-end of their Off The Ball days, on Newstalk. To this day I'm not entirely sure who was to blame or what exactly went down between themselves and the station, but they were off the airwaves in an awful hurry that's for sure!

Both Ken and Eoin talk about their reasons for leaving on Andrew Mangan's 738am podcast. Its touched on and both say they essentially wanted to try something new after being there 10+ years and Newstalk didn't want too so they left. Its worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

cashback wrote: »
    Can someone explain this to me? I was listening to the podcast and didn't get it really, as I've been out of the country a few years.

Was their TV show cancelled?

Just in a nutshell, oversimplified, heavily caveat laden, every story has two sides summary:

At the end of their time on Off the Ball, they wanted to change the timeslot of the show to capture a bigger audience. I think they wanted to stat at 6 or something. NT basically said "No.", as they didn't want to cut their (at the time) highest rated show.

There is a section of people who believe the lads were greedy/arrogant in the whole affair, and that they should have just been happy with what they had.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just as I finish listening to Ken say the whole McGregor thing is about him wanting more money he released a statement saying he's not retired and it is all about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Just in a nutshell, oversimplified, heavily caveat laden, every story has two sides summary:

At the end of their time on Off the Ball, they wanted to change the timeslot of the show to capture a bigger audience. I think they wanted to stat at 6 or something. NT basically said "No.", as they didn't want to cut their (at the time) highest rated show.

There is a section of people who believe the lads were greedy/arrogant in the whole affair, and that they should have just been happy with what they had.

Ugh. Irish radio's Saipan.

There is also a section of people (well, me), who believe the time slot suited a lot of their fans, and changing it to suit the presenters was a bit selfish.

They are undoubtedly the greatest though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

bren2001 wrote: »
    Both Ken and Eoin talk about their reasons for leaving on Andrew Mangan's 738am podcast. Its touched on and both say they essentially wanted to try something new after being there 10+ years and Newstalk didn't want too so they left. Its worth a listen.

Seems to be a relatively recent one with Murph too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'd imagine, based on how quickly Eoin tried to dismiss Des' talk, that there are some airtight, legally binding non disclosure agreements.

Weren't they winding up the show anyway.

Seemed Bishop getting a pre prepared quip in, I wouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill out of it!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

K-9 wrote: »

Weren't they winding up the show anyway.

Seemed Bishop getting a pre prepared quip in, I wouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill out of it!
    Agreed. Bishop always needs the last word and probably had a few beers inside him given the location.

The lads have moved on for the better by and large and don't appear to be holding any large grudges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Suffice to say, when US Murph makes love to his wife, his moment of climax is accompanied by a vision of Eoin walking into his studio with his 'Spash Brothers' t-shirt.

There could be a drinking game based on how often it's mentioned.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The NBA Finals won't be over till mid June, unless there's a shock we'll be hearing all about the Splash Brothers until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Thanks for the explanation folks, I remember their exit from Newstalk alright, but I thought maybe their TV show had been cancelled or something.
    I'll definitely give that Andrew Mangan podcast a listen, already listen to his Arsecasts on a regular basis.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'm tired of this McGregor phenomenon but I love listening to Ken talk about him, he is the only person who can make him interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I like the new audio clip they used the last few weeks, think its WWE stuff spliced with an MMA interview maybe. Catchy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I love how annoyed Ken was about Zidane's trousers ripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Does anyone remember which episode has the Dunphy interview? I loved the Dunphy montage they played on Thursday and would like to hear the full interview. Wasn't it one of the first episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

sigmundv wrote: »
    Does anyone remember which episode has the Dunphy interview? I loved the Dunphy montage they played on Thursday and would like to hear the full interview. Wasn't it one of the first episodes?

Im sure it's from when they originally set up the podcast .Remember they had like interviews with a few people at the end of that summer before the actual proper sport reporting began, I think.

"Whatcha doin' down here ya shoneen man, Haaah!"

Yeah he told a brilliant story about Ireland nearly beating England in 1959, they had a brilliant clip with some ambient music playing under the RTE Radio commentary of England equalising in the last minute of that game.

It's still on Soundcloud

Actually if you type 'Eamon Dunphy Second Captains' into Google the whole interview comes up first in the list.

https://soundcloud.com/secondcaptains/the-pain-of-losing-to-england/sets

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I love how annoyed Ken was about Zidane's trousers ripping.

And his suggestion that Zidane should get high waist-ed trousers like Vicente del Bosque :D:D

And that Klopp prefers to wear 'sports clothes' while on the sideline.

Pure comedy gold from Ken!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"His arse was literally hanging out of his trousers"

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Actually if you type 'Eamon Dunphy Second Captains' into Google the whole interview comes up first in the list.

Cheers for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I thoroughly enjoyed Ken's linking of Richard III to Leicester yesterday, bringing in all of the quotes:

"The hazard of the dye"
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Ken was terrific in yesterdays pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Ken was terrific in yesterdays pod.

Just came on here to post something similar.

Have been listening to Ken for years on podcasts (back in the Dublin Newstalk days) and have always found him entertaining but in recent months I think he's added more substance to his output.

I guess the move to the Irish Times and 'proper' journalism has been a benefit to him........but he clearly still enjoys talking about people's pants bursting and the like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Shaggy, Fez and Eoin
    Two and a half men....priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Sounded like Gab Marcotti was running on a treadmill when he was on!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, was actually very offputting, I couldn't concentrate on what he was saying.

"I could see Manchester city beating them 3 or 4 nil". Think that'll be used again in the future! They could have had 20 minutes of clips of ken saying Leicester won't win it. I remember he was slating Ranieri for a substitution when they didn't win a couple of months ago, and he also gave him abuse for taking the team on a holiday mid season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Anyone else think that Marcotti was getting a blowie while being interviewed with Jonathan Wilson on the football show. Breathless panting, voice quavering, seemed completely distracted. Haha

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

God yeah, I thought he was going to have a heart attack.

Eoin not being able to remember when they used to get Claudio on the phone back in the OTB days was amazing. Kens was so shocked it was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I thoroughly enjoyed Ken's linking of Richard III to Leicester yesterday, bringing in all of the quotes:

"The hazard of the dye"
    :pac:

It's a pity it wasn't his own content. It was on the front page of the Guardian on Tuesday amongst other places.

• Advertisement

Ken talking about two Leicester players in a bar in Dubai was funny "Were you in Hollyoaks?" :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement