Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Not a second captains podcast, but an ESPN podcast with Roy Keane. Worth the listen http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=15459568

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Was listening yesterday to thursday's pod with US murph on it.

him and eoin were just blowing smoke up each other asses.
    They must have said at least 3/4 times to each other "thats a great knowledge there" or words to that affect.

Used to love that segment but now i feel it brings nothing to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah I agree. A lot of time they have US Murph on for no real decent reason at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What did everyone think of Kevin Keegan?

I was enjoying listening to Keegan, and found it very interesting to hear about the phenomenal amount of running he did when he was younger. It seemed like he really put 100% effort into trying to be best player he could be. I liked the cut of his jib so to speak.

Until....... when Ken brought up drugs.... and Keegan said that he didn't think there are any drugs being taken in football and he didn't think they would be of any benefit.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Keegan said that he didn't think there are any drugs being taken in football and he didn't think they would be of any benefit.

I was surprised that Ken didn't call him out on that a little more. He went very easy on him, particularly considering Ken had mentioned this argument being bull**** previously.

I suppose in a one on one interview like that it can be a bit awkward to challenge a guy like that, particularly if he's a legend of the game.
    Was listening yesterday to thursday's pod with US murph on it.

him and eoin were just blowing smoke up each other asses.
    They must have said at least 3/4 times to each other "thats a great knowledge there" or words to that affect.

That section was a bit weird, I'd say the lads themselves weren't happy with how it went.

I thought they were just asking Murph about Leicester as an aside at the beginning. I didn't think they'd base the whole segment on it.

Generally I still enjoy the US Murph conversations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ThrillCosby

I was enjoying listening to Keegan, and found it very interesting to hear about the phenomenal amount of running he did when he was younger. It seemed like he really put 100% effort into trying to be best player he could be. I liked the cut of his jib so to speak.

Until....... when Ken brought up drugs.... and Keegan said that he didn't think there are any drugs being taken in football and he didn't think they would be of any benefit.

Strange thing for Keegan to say unless he genuinely believes it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I thought that was incredibly odd too. Was very disappointed that it was just let slide as it's such a ridiculous cop out of an answer.

Ken mentioned that there was no one else there, so maybe he just made the choice to let it go to get a longer interview and keep Keegan on side as opposed to tackling him on it as he might have if there was a queue of press behind him and he knew he'd have been out the door in 2 minutes anyway, I dunno.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They tore into Novak Djokovic a few weeks back for making similar comments about drugs in tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Keegan did correct himself a bit when Ken followed up, I think he just threw an unthinking cliche out there (as the old pros often there) and then corrected himself when Ken questioned him.

It's was a good interview to answer people who question players over doping just because they run a lot and have better stamina.

Very similar interviews to Graham Hunter's Big Interview, Ken knows when to step back and not make it about him which Hunter sometimes does. Similar stuff about hunger, poverty etc. from Souness, Waddle et al and there probably is something to it, not just "in my day" stuff

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Eoin's Anton O'Toole poem is easily the best bit of poetry I've ever heard in my life, if it all goes balls up for them again, at least he'll have something to fall back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Eoin's Anton O'Toole poem is easily the best bit of poetry I've ever heard in my life, if it all goes balls up for them again, at least he'll have something to fall back on.

:D

Ken struggled greatly to hide his, ahem, admiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I genuinely lol'd at Ken's reenactment of the call between Ancellotti and Toni Kroos.

Also enjoyed him gleefully reading out the ex Ajax player's quotes slagging PSV.....classic Ken, he doesn't seem to read out as many quotes these days in that unique falsetto accent of his

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I don't know whether to blame Murph, the whole team or that the subject is too boring but Second Captain's GAA discussions are consisently very very dull.

Off the Ball with Wolly are far far better on GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

The podcast republic app doesn't seem to be working for me, anybody else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I don't know whether to blame Murph, the whole team or that the subject is too boring but Second Captain's GAA discussions are consisently very very dull.

Off the Ball with Wolly are far far better on GAA.

I'd blame Oisin McConville's voice...

I find there's usually little or no craic in GAA discusions in the media generally: too much respectful and dull talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Arghus wrote: »

I find there's usually little or no craic in GAA discusions in the media generally: too much respectful and dull talk.

Oisin is a drag all right.
    Better vibe off Malachy Clerkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wooly, like him or loath him is passionate about it, plus they get more time to devote to it year round. The Laois CB chairman was on earlier in the year about the venue and he'd a good debate about inter county footballers playing for clubs in Dublin as well that stands out, don't think you'd get that on Second Captains.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I find the GAA chat on Second Captains feels like it's the same conversation they're having every time. Unless someone gets sacked in controversial circumstances or there's a huge upset in a match, there never seems to be that much to talk about. They pretty much had the exact same conversation about the Claire/Waterford matches two weeks running.

Other than watching the games on TV I don't follow GAA off the pitch so I don't know, maybe there really isn't any Hong worth discussing happening most weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

weadick wrote: »
    The podcast republic app doesn't seem to be working for me, anybody else have this problem?

Since the last update i' ve noticed it doesn't load podcasts as quick and i' ve had issues casting to my tv.

Other that that it is working but not as well as it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Deedsie wrote: »
    Who really wants to listen to the Laois CB chairman? Second captains had an interview with Johnny Glynn from New York which was a great interview.

Normally I don't think anyone would want to listen to a chairman of any county board.
    However he was interviewed re the Dublin Laois match being fixed for Nowlan Park(the home of football after all)

I found the interview interesting and the lack of options when an odd venue is chosen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Arghus wrote: »

Indeed Oisin has an awful dreary monotonous voice God help him

CZfibIYWIAAKqyD.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Footb'll

GAA coverage is nearly always dull no matter what you do.

The only exceptions would be somebody either leaving the country (like the Johnny Glynn interview) or somebody coming back from abroad or long term injury (like the recent Tommy Walsh coverage).

Parkinson's interview with Jim Galvin last year got a lot of exposure but it was pretty hollow in hindsight - fair play to him for asking the question but Galvin gave him very little.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same teams, with the same players & managers facing up to each other on a very regular basis.

Having said all that, I would listen to GAA coverage over rugby any day of the week

Cartman78 wrote: »

Having said all that, I would listen to GAA coverage over rugby any day of the week

I would consider myself a fan of both sports but sometimes the chat can get a little boring on both. I like it when they bring in people from other sports, Natalya Coyle's recent interview was a nice change. Likewise when they get into doping issues and things other than just match previews/reviews. I used to listen to the whole podcast every Mon/Thurs but now I have a look at what they're talking about and will skip over the GAA/Rugby unless there's something interesting after happening during the few days since the last podcast.

I would consider myself a fan of both sports but sometimes the chat can get a little boring on both. I like it when they bring in people from other sports, Natalya Coyle's recent interview was a nice change. Likewise when they get into doping issues and things other than just match previews/reviews. I used to listen to the whole podcast every Mon/Thurs but now I have a look at what they're talking about and will skip over the GAA/Rugby unless there's something interesting after happening during the few days since the last podcast.

Actually listening to Monday's programme right now.....they've spent an unbelievable amount of time crapping on about where the Dublin v. Laois game will be played as if it's the biggest controversy since.........Mayo and Kerry were forced against their will to play in Limerick :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Very parochial.....index finger nearing the fast forward button

I generally skip through rugby and GAA chats now unless there's a big issue being discussed. They're not sports I follow that avidly, and I find myself getting bored with them very easily.

A previous poster made a good point about OTB just having more time a week to get niche guests on and cover a wider spectrum of topics than just the match preview/review roundup.

The way I listen to podcasts is also very different to way I used to listen to OTB. With OTB, it was on in the kitchen or my room while I was doing other stuff, it'd be background noise unless something caught my attention. With my podcasts, I currently have a backlog of ~400 unplayed episodes in iTunes, so if I'm listening to SC and it's not interesting me, I'm more than likely going to hit fast forward or just skip to another Pod because I have instant access to them.

If SC were still on the radio, I don't think the dull parts would be as noticeable as they are in the Pod.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I like McConville, he mightn't have the most exciting voice in the world but his take on things is always interesting.

I think I mentioned this before but the one thing that hasn't transferred from the old OTB days is they no longer hit you from out of nowhere with a great obscure tale, when they had more time to fill they'd have great pieces on revolutionary and pioneering figures in sport that you may not have heard of.

Sadly you can nearly predict what they are going to talk about before you see the running order for every podcast.

I like McConville, he mightn't have the most exciting voice in the world but his take on things is always interesting.

I liked last year when he said Kerry were playing the "cute hoors" system :D

Wasn't it McConville that gave us the "Old Men in Jeans" story too? :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah there was a wedding on in opposition's village so the players decided to go to that instead of being hammered by Crossmaglen, I think they were in danger of being banned for a year if they forfeited the fixture, so they sent out a team of oul fella's in jeans and not wearing proper boots, you could tell McConville was furious about it, but his retelling of it was hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement