Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yeah there was a wedding on in opposition's village so the players decided to go to that instead of being hammered by Crossmaglen, I think they were in danger of being banned for a year if they forfeited the fixture, so they sent out a team of oul fella's in jeans and not wearing proper boots, you could tell McConville was furious about it, but his retelling of it was hilarious.

Oh, I think I saw some of this on the BBC documentary that was on a few months ago. They didn't give any context for it though, I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Very tempted to write a poem for Eoin's Poems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Yeah there was a wedding on in opposition's village so the players decided to go to that instead of being hammered by Crossmaglen, I think they were in danger of being banned for a year if they forfeited the fixture, so they sent out a team of oul fella's in jeans and not wearing proper boots, you could tell McConville was furious about it, but his retelling of it was hilarious.

Aaron Kernan's man answered his phone and discussed buying pallets with the caller during the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Anyone know what show that was on? Have got a hankering to listen back now. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

McConville is quite good when you get over the boring voice, but previewing or analysis is very robotic for GAA in general, probably because half the games up to August are pretty predictable. That's what made the PL great this season, very hard to call so many games.

Wooly gets the interviews, the Roscommon manager last season was brilliant entertainment and fair play to him, he came on again later in the year after he left the job and had a laugh about it. Contrast that with most managers or player interviews these days. The Galvin one was it taken to an extreme which made it fascinating and so memorable.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Anyone know what show that was on? Have got a hankering to listen back now. :p

Skip to 31.30 mark:

https://soundcloud.com/secondcaptains-it-com/second-captains-2209-kerry-splendour-old-men-in-jeans-pl-insanity-golfing-irish

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Was that the one where on of them took a phone call about a delivery on the pitch? That was one of the funniest things on SC ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

has anyone ever absent-mindedly say out loud "Boom boom foul..... Boom boom boom yellow card"?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Was that the one where on of them took a phone call about a delivery on the pitch? That was one of the funniest things on SC ever.

"Aye, two pallets"

Yeah that was it, you could hear the disgust in McConville's voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

has anyone ever absent-mindedly say out loud "Boom boom foul..... Boom boom boom yellow card"?

No, but I've often said tonight... tonight... tonight or Do you believe in miracles!! :D

• Advertisement

I find myself absent mindedly saying "Coach" at various pitches, without realising I'm doing it out loud.

No, but I've often said tonight... tonight... tonight

I find myself thinking "massive booboo" a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

For me it's usually "I can't speak" in full Yorkshire accent when something goes wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

For me it's usually "I can't speak" in full Yorkshire accent when something goes wrong!

I do that playing fifa when someone hits me with a rash challenge, and he only gets a booking. "It's a yella card, I can't spake!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'll often break into, "EM AH SPAKIN' FROM MA HEART!!" when talking to random strangers. About trivial things.

The most common thing for my mates to say if they disagree with anything at all is "yer away, mate. Yer bags, yer desk, boom."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

We're talking Guiness Book of Records stuff.

More or less all of the Scottish rant stuff rattles around in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

^^^^^
    So glad to hear it's not just me. All of the above are constantly ringing in my head. The lads have a potential sideline in writing advertising jingles if the podcast business goes tits up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Some day soon I'm going to say to my boss:

"So where do you think you got it all wrong today coach??"

And then tell him i'm planning on getting big Terry Butcher in to replace him

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

'Today was the day you wanted victory to happen but it didn't happen what happened?'

'As Mick O'Connell alluded to, god save us!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The most common thing for my mates to say if they disagree with anything at all is "yer away, mate. Yer bags, yer desk, boom."

Love this one. Thought it was "Yer bags, yer desk, oot" (As in "out")

Ger Loughnane's "toniyesh" I find myself saying in normal conversation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

^^^^^
    So glad to hear it's not just me. All of the above are constantly ringing in my head. The lads have a potential sideline in writing advertising jingles if the podcast business goes tits up ...

They surely have, and I actually laugh to myself everytime I see James Nesbett (which unfortunately seems to be too much!) in an ad on tv or bill board!
    Just think of him pissed up with that stupid music in the background, and inventively bore the wife by telling her why I am laughing and "I'll find the clip and play it for you"......but I never do......I think I have built it up WAAYYY too much now.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Some day soon I'm going to say to my boss:

"So where do you think you got it all wrong today coach??"

And then tell him i'm planning on getting big Terry Butcher in to replace him

A personal favourite of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That was pretty much my ideal SC football podcast today: very lengthy 'report on sport', followed by a leisurely chat with two old muckers...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

"Does Bobby Charlton understand Instagram" :pac:

What is the name of the contributor to the football show that covers the Manchester & liverpool beats?
    Mancunian accent..... John??

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

John Brewin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭bren2001

What is the name of the contributor to the football show that covers the Manchester & liverpool beats?
    Mancunian accent..... John??

Johnathon Wilson I assume is who youre talking about

bren2001 wrote: »
    Johnathon Wilson I assume is who youre talking about

No.... definite manc/lancs accent.
    John Byrne, John Brun.... something like that?
    I'm looking for any of his writings as he's one of my favourite SC contributors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

No.... definite manc/lancs accent.
    John Byrne, John Brun.... something like that?
    I'm looking for any of his writings as he's one of my favourite SC contributors.

styron has given you the answer - 3 posts up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Has anyone heard any word of a live show from Paris? Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement