Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

dulpit wrote: »
    I don't think he was drunk or anything, but I can't say that he was overly engaging or coherent... :(

So what is the :( stuff.

Maybe he thought you were a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Maybe he thought you were a prick.

Nice response... ;)

What I meant was while he didn't seem drunk or anything, he didn't seem great either.

Listened back to podcast yesterday, interesting to see how little they cut from the conversations, just a tidy up at start/end...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Just listened to the Ben Johnson interview from last week. Fascinating stuff. He raised some interesting points about how a doper's punishment lasts for their whole life and carries over into their personal lIves.

I'm reminded of the week the Indian Wells tennis tournament was on this year and my Twitter feed was fill of professional athletes lining up for selfies with Mike Tyson, convicted rapist and on the sex offenders list. And yet they probably wouldn't spit on Lance Armstrong if he was on fire.

Are we supposed to feel sympathy for dopers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

A propos of nothing…..

Does anyone know what the link is between Second Captains and the Guardian newspaper???

I suspect Ken is mates with one of the journalists (probably Barry Glendinning) but does anyone have anything more concrete?? Ken has guest hosted the Football Weekly podcast a couple of times too and gets the odd mention from AC Jimbo and Barry.

I first heard of Off the Ball (back when it was a Dublin only station) via a link at the bottom the Fiver e-mail from the Guardian back in 2003 or so.

And they did get a mention in the recent Top 50 podcast list – would love to have seen the reaction of some London based wannabe hipsters tuning in to hear Eoin forcing Heffernan to rhyme with the only wan :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

sigmundv wrote: »

That's obviously not what I'm saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

He was showing the hypocrisy of the sporting public.

A rapist is adored later in life but the doper is vilified and prevented from ever having involvement in his sport again even decades later.

The point was lost on you it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I do tbh.

I think what Johnson was getting at, and I fully agree with him, is that people tend to lose all reason when it comes to doping.

Look, no one is defending doping, but I think it's fair to say that people need to get perspective on it and realise it's (in most cases) not illegal, just a ****ty thing to do. I think the way Johnson spoke about the way it follows you for decades (plus the whole hypocrisy around Tyson (which is in itself hypocrisy, because Tyson has paid for his crimes through the justice system, but that's another discussion)) raised a very interesting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Cartman78 wrote: »
    A propos of nothing…..

Does anyone know what the link is between Second Captains and the Guardian newspaper???

I suspect Ken is mates with one of the journalists (probably Barry Glendinning) but does anyone have anything more concrete?? Ken has guest hosted the Football Weekly podcast a couple of times too and gets the odd mention from AC Jimbo and Barry.

I first heard of Off the Ball (back when it was a Dublin only station) via a link at the bottom the Fiver e-mail from the Guardian back in 2003 or so.

And they did get a mention in the recent Top 50 podcast list – would love to have seen the reaction of some London based wannabe hipsters tuning in to hear Eoin forcing Heffernan to rhyme with the only wan :D:D:D:D

I remember once Jimbo was trying to get Sid Lowe on the phone, and Barry saying something aling the lines of "I know where he is. He's talking to those Second Captains..."

It's all good, my two go-to podcasts every week (along with the other friend of the show Andrew Mangan's Arsecast, which Ken's also been on).

Is there a Football Weekly Daily during the Euros like at the World Cup?

Man, I can't wait for the Euros.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I do tbh.

I think what Johnson was getting at, and I fully agree with him, is that people tend to lose all reason when it comes to doping.

Look, no one is defending doping, but I think it's fair to say that people need to get perspective on it and realise it's (in most cases) not illegal, just a ****ty thing to do. I think the way Johnson spoke about the way it follows you for decades (plus the whole hypocrisy around Tyson (which is in itself hypocrisy, because Tyson has paid for his crimes through the justice system, but that's another discussion)) raised a very interesting point.

My point about Tyson though is that people seem to accept that his brief stint in jail was enough of a punishment and he's had a pretty comfy career since. He writes for The Players Tribune and other athletes act like little kids wanting to get a selfie with him. They'd think twice before posing for a photo with a doper though. Why is cheating at a sport, in Johnson's case they were all doing it, seen as a crime worth being punished for life whereas something like rape, just as an example, is a crime that goes away?

Also, his point about Justin Gatlin still racing despite twice failing tests was valid. How did that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Cartman78 wrote: »
    A propos of nothing…..

Other then the ones you mentioned, I don't think there is anything more concrete. Ken was a guest on the FW during Euro 2008 - "what a lovely voice you have". He was a guest presenter for two shows in 2009. It didn't go very well and he hasn't been back since.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I remember once Jimbo was trying to get Sid Lowe on the phone, and Barry saying something aling the lines of "I know where he is. He's talking to those Second Captains..."

It's all good, my two go-to podcasts every week (along with the other friend of the show Andrew Mangan's Arsecast, which Ken's also been on).

Man, I can't wait for the Euros.

Yes - they mentioned it was few weeks back. I loved their World Cup shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

After the posts earlier about Paul McGrath not being great in Cork didn't expect much from the podcast but I thought there was good humour and good stories in it. Maybe well edited or just slightly dramatic reactions previously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    After the posts earlier about Paul McGrath not being great in Cork didn't expect much from the podcast but I thought there was good humour and good stories in it. Maybe well edited or just slightly dramatic reactions previously...

He sounded like he had had a few, which for Paul McGrath isn't a good thing. I don't think he is suited to live events like that.

At the start of today's podcast when Eoin was saying something like "coming up someone some people think gets way too much airtime....." I thought he was talking about US Murph.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ol' Donie wrote: »

There is, and it's coming! And I am all the excite!

ir1nlXE.png

(Just noticed it had updated today :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    He sounded like he had had a few, which for Paul McGrath isn't a good thing. I don't think he is suited to live events like that.

I only came in here to see what other poeple thought, because I thought he sounded like he was extremely drunk which wasnt great to hear to be honest when you know McGrath's history. It also seemed heavily edited and that Eoin wrapped it up prematurely, maybe the lads who were there can clarify that.. If he did have a few maybe in hindsight it wasnt a great idea to invite him on as a guest in a boozer with a big audience..

The first podcast with Kerr and Hunt was great though.

allybhoy wrote: »
    If he did have a few maybe in hindsight it wasnt a great idea to invite him on as a guest in a boozer with a big audience..

I have to agree, it wasn't a good idea. They've had Paul on previewing Irish matches in the studio and over the phone before and he's been absolutely fine.

I've no doubt the lads meant well, but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

I've only heard Paul do a few per-recorded radio interviews, and I was always struck by how measured and calmed he seemed. I was fairly surprised when he was so jovial in this, so I just put it down to the nature of the live audience.

The thought of him drinking didn't even cross my mind until I looked here. Knowing his past, I guess I just took it for granted he wouldn't be drinking, and I thought it kinda fit the tone with Kerr there too. It did strike me as fairly abrupt while listening. Certainly not a good idea in hindsight if he did end up drinking.

I enjoyed it anyway for what it's worth, but I always enjoy listening to the man speak anyway. I do prefer the more measured Paul though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just listened to the Paul McGrath interview... I was expecting the worst but I enjoyed listening to him. I haven't heard him in years though so I'm probably not the best judge of the way he sounded.

• Advertisement

Coach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

So some people thought PmcG has been on the wagon for decades? The opposite is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

allybhoy wrote: »
    I only came in here to see what other poeple thought, because I thought he sounded like he was extremely drunk which wasnt great to hear to be honest when you know McGrath's history. It also seemed heavily edited and that Eoin wrapped it up prematurely, maybe the lads who were there can clarify that.. If he did have a few maybe in hindsight it wasnt a great idea to invite him on as a guest in a boozer with a big audience..

The first podcast with Kerr and Hunt was great though.

Yeah the interview on the podcast was heavily edited. The live interview was a small bit uncomfortable to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Beersmith wrote: »
    So some people thought PmcG has been on the wagon for decades?

Yeah, I thought it was all clean living for Paul these days?

I too thought he sounded a little slushed... not much, but noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

There was a tweet earlier mentioning an Muhammed Ali special coming soon. Isn't showing up for me, anyone else able to see it?

Edit: It's up now, I knew it would appear after I made a post asking about it. heh heh huh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There was a tweet earlier mentioning an Muhammed Ali special coming soon. Isn't showing up for me, anyone else able to see it?

Edit: It's up now, I knew it would appear after I made a post asking about it. heh heh huh

Well in fairness to you, it's an usual time of the day for them to be uploading the podcast :)

Sounds good:
    Come and join our celebration of the life of The Greatest. Murph and Ken are ruthlessly axed from this momentous show in favour of World Champion boxer Andy Lee and Second Captains producer/Ali superfan Mark Horgan. Eoin, Mark and Andy are joined by one of America’s foremost civil rights figures, Reverend Jesse Jackson, to discuss Ali’s role in the freedom struggle and to hear Rev. Jackson’s personal recollections of moments shared with The Champ.

And Eoin spends some time in the company of the incomparable Jerry Izenberg at his home in Nevada (Jerry’s home, not Eoin’s). Jerry unleashes all of his storytelling ability to get to the heart of what his friend Ali was like in the quiet moments, away from the ring and tv cameras. We also pay some audio tributes to Ali with a little help from Howard Cossell, Mike Tyson, Spike Lee and George Foreman. RIP Muhammad Ali.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Great, looking forward to having a listen to that tomorrow.

Patww79 wrote: »

They said there's two tomorrow, I assume the football one and general one, as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭batistuta9

ken's probably banned because he'd be going on about him being a racist :pac:

on a flight to australia would you rather be stuck listening to oisin mc conville or andy lee, tough one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement