Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

IanOBo wrote: »
    Apologies. They should really call it the weekdaily podcast.My misinterpretation.

Yeah, tbh I was a bit disappointed that it was only Mon-Fri. Like, the Irish Times are (presumably) paying Ken to be in France, you'd think they'd want to get as much out of him as possible.

Considering it'd be so ridiculously easy for them to sit down and record a 15-20 minute Report on Sport over Skype, it's really odd that there's nothing at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Considering it'd be so ridiculously easy for them to sit down and record a 15-20 minute Report on Sport over Skype, it's really odd that there's nothing at the weekend.

It all depends how many podcasts the Irish times/ rabodirect are willing to pay for. Would you work weekends for free? Or as Ken put it...
    In reply to Brendan Hill
    Ken Early ‏@kenearlys 17h17 hours ago

@KillHill101 @GaryPhillipsCFP @EoinMcDevitt @saveciaranmurph would love to do 7 days but pretty sure it's against EU law #sad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Something that's been baffling me for ages...

At the very end of the "Robbie Robbie Keano" SoundBed/Sound Clip the man himself says something incomprehensible (sounds like "it's more of a tandem lever").

Can anyone enlighten me as to what it is he says exactly? Or am I better off not knowing for sure and reveling in the mystery?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

"He's got more of a tan than me"

Think he was talking about Obama?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

"He's got more of a tan than me"

Think he was talking about Obama?

Really?

That sounds like something Berlusconni would say!

• Advertisement

Really?

That sounds like something Berlusconni would say!

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was from when he met Obama.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I think Ken was still p1ssed on todays show! Certainly a bit croaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Some audio-beds are ridiculously long.
    The one in the general podcast after the rugby chat was 3 mins long!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was from when he met Obama.

I'm pretty certain that comment was from his first interview as an LA Galaxy player. He was asked to compare himself to Beckham and mentioned his tan as being the main difference.

Just listened to Ken's report from Marseille....excellent stuff, Eoin seemed to be mildly freaking out about his hooliganism being good fun theory :-)

Also just caught up with the chat about the rugby...thought Eoin did really well. Didn't let Thornley away with his very weak defence of the Stander red card.

Is McDevitt the best Irish sport interviewer around at the moment??? Struggling to think of any others that would have challenged Thornley like that...certainly nobody on OTB would have....those guys are really phoning it in lately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Is McDevitt the best Irish sport interviewer around at the moment??? Struggling to think of any others that would have challenged Thornley like that...certainly nobody on OTB would have....those guys are really phoning it in lately

He's definitely up there. Knows when to throw a grenade, knows when to give his own opinion and knows when to press the interviewee when needed. Would love to see him in the RTE hot seat with the 3 originals across from him. A ready made replacement for Bill really.

• Advertisement

^Speaking of TV, are they not doing the TV show anymore? Would have thought now would be the perfect time. Euros, Ireland v South Africa, football and hurling championships are up and running, thrown in some build up to Rio before the athletes leave etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

That quote is "he's got more of a tan than me buh......."

Fairly sure this is a reference to Steven Gerard when he joined the Galaxy. The real Dublin "buh/but" hanging at the end of the sentence is the comic part. A lot of Roddy Doyle's characters say it.

Trying to search for it but Roy Keane has said something about tan lately and it's dominating the search results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭curiousoranje

Is there anything more annoying then when Murph interrupts Ken with one of his sub republic of telly level jibes, and then struggles to say what he thought would be hilarious? he's done it twice in 5 minutes on Tuesday's show.

You can hear the disinterest in Ken's replies, he sounds like someone who has to put up with their annoying younger sibling trying to be funny when talking to a group of his friends.

^Murph does that all the time or takes 5 minutes to get to the point of his joke when we've got there ourselves as soon as he starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Clash of cultures on yesterday's pod.

Murph: Just like a man at the mart!

Ken: What?

Murph: Just like a man at the mart?

Ken:....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is there anything more annoying then when Murph interrupts Ken with one of his sub republic of telly level jibes, and then struggles to say what he thought would be hilarious? he's done it twice in 5 minutes on Tuesday's show.

You can hear the disinterest in Ken's replies, he sounds like someone who has to put up with their annoying younger sibling trying to be funny when talking to a group of his friends.

Love Murph's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Bring back Dog Chat. That's what I say.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Murph's Garden was a far superior slot.

Murph's attempts at humour are hit and miss, but when he is more serious he does have an interesting and coherent view on most sports and he has written some excellent columns on GAA.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

McGrath sounded better on yesterdays podcast

Also found this, warning it's a bit surreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Yeah, I thought it was great that they got him back on, give him a chance to speak again.

I don't think he's the best analyst. More of a, "they'll go out and give it a lash" kind of conversation. The man is a legend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Yeah fairly poor analysis alright but good to hear him back on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Yep, way better than that night in Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Worth listening to Thursday's Euro podcast for the interview with journalist Paul Howard about the Ireland-Belgium 1982 World Cup qualifier match.

https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/743425179938852864

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

I can see what you're saying as I used to find that side of Murph annoying as well but now I've gotten used to it.

Sometimes it can get a bit unnecessary esp. when they're talking about a "controversial" incident that happened either on or off the playing field and he quips up about how a player might have reacted or thought at the time. He gets really serious when discussing GAA but then switches to back to being "witty" when talking about rugby and association football (when Ireland aren't playing soccer/football).

Some people like it and some don't but I appreciate what he's trying to do even though it's not my sense of humour or ideal behaviour of a sport analyst/podcaster. I still like him for his enthusiasm, insight and how he interacts with Eoin and Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I can tolerate Murph. There is such a difference between his approach when he's talking GAA and anything else: GAA is serious business for him. His humour can be a bit forced sometimes - I think he's under pressure to keep the wisecracks flowing - when he is given a chance to speak honestly about a subject he's usually good, I find.

Yesterday gave us another example of the mystery of Murph. He was talking about how reading Paul Howard's article made him think of his favourite short story. He went on and on. And on. He got there eventually to his point, at which point I'd sorta lost him. I'd known what he was trying to say at the start, but he's taken such a roundabout way to get there, that I'd started thinking that maybe he was getting at something else.... No, he meant the first thing. I just thought about how Ken would have handled it: he'd have commanded that stream of consciousness until the fact that there was no point, was the point.

I did like how his favourite short story was by Joyce Carol Oates. Murph? Joyce Carol Oates? I thought he was supposed to be the wisecracking gombeen from The West? What's with the fondness for literary fiction?...

One final observation: Does anyone else find it a bit strange that his voice is that of a short man, but he's actually really tall?

Loved that piece with Howard, especially the crazy mental image of them trying to re-create the Stapleton goal, the Ref comes across as a bit mental.

Actually just listening to his voice you wouldn't think Murph looks like a hipster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

He has a D4 accent, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Ken's on top form reviewing yesterday and our alternative timeline :D

"Referee Cekir says 'Oh no no, we can't have that. We can't have boots crushing into the back of players heads. That's extremely dangerous. I'm going to blow my whistle and award a spot kick to this gallant team in green'".

"Simpson leads on points" :pac:

It almost made losing worthwhile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just listening to yesterday's podcast.

Ken's description of this photo is pretty hilarious! :D :eek: :(

1174617.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement