Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

The episode Murph missed recently. Reminded today how much of a pleasure that was. He's like the Richard Hammond of the group.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Some tears in my eyes listening to that lad from Iceland - his last line was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

bur wrote: »
    The episode Murph missed recently. Reminded today how much of a pleasure that was. He's like the Richard Hammond of the group.

He seems to take forever to say very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

bur wrote:

Same here. It was so much more enjoyable without Murph butting in all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

sigmundv wrote: »
    Same here. It was so much more enjoyable without Murph butting in all the time.

Largely agree. The other 2 must be aware of that too - I imagine they would be very wary about changing their winning formula though. Even though the quality of his input is often lower I still have affinity for him and them as a trio.

Murph does cover GAA and can also does the gimmicky stuff for TV too that others couldn't do so justifies his place that way too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yesterday's football podcast was the best of the tournament, Ken ranting about Belgium, the Iceland fella, the Messi/Ronaldo debate, that may seem tedious now but I thought Richie made some good points in Ronaldo's favour and I wouldn't be Ronaldo's biggest fan.

Also the argument about seeing underdogs win at the expense of the best teams and it affecting the quality later on in the tournament "You like giantkillers, I like giants"

Ken talking about England putting on all their strikers against Wales was funny "Look at our claws scream England, you're just a tiny crab screams everyone else"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Some tears in my eyes listening to that lad from Iceland - his last line was beautiful.

I ended up skipping past him, I thought he was really boring.

Good show, any Richie show is great. Even if I disagree with him on Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Largely agree. The other 2 must be aware of that too - I imagine they would be very wary about changing their winning formula though. Even though the quality of his input is often lower I still have affinity for him and them as a trio.

Murph does cover GAA and can also does the gimmicky stuff for TV too that others couldn't do so justifies his place that way too.

There's no doubt Murph is the weak link of the whole operation. At this point I'm not even sure what his role is within the team other than popping up with mostly unfunny wisecracks now and again during podcasts. Maybe he does a lot of the donkey work behind the scenes or something - arranging interviews and road trips? Ken regularly comes across as quite condescending towards his input on air but, on the face of it, it's hard to blame Ken for that.

Back in the NT days he was a sideline reporter and had his country pages and so on, but he hasn't had a clear role on the SC podcast since the emigrant shoutout thing was dropped about a year after it stopped being remotely interesting.

They'd be better off really having Simon on more shows to give a rugby angle to the presenting team as Eoin has the GAA side fairly well covered as well as being a quality presenter and interviewer. Murph's GAA analysis, insight and questioning is at about the same level as your average GAA supporter who goes to games - he knows a lot about his own county and a little bit about some of the other bigger teams, but there's no real depth to his input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Was there a second podcast yesterday in addition to the Football podcast? I'm using Podcast Republic app and I can only see the football one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭bren2001

check_six wrote: »
    Was there a second podcast yesterday in addition to the Football podcast? I'm using Podcast Republic app and I can only see the football one.

Theres one on soundcloud, couldn't see it on my podcast app either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

check_six wrote: »

There was alright.... lots of chat about lethargic GAA games where both participants and spectators seem barely interested.

(not a GAA person... but the sport seems in a rut?).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

There was alright.... lots of chat about lethargic GAA games where both participants and spectators seem barely interested.

(not a GAA person... but the sport seems in a rut?).

It's a big part of the traditional GAA summer.

Moaning about all the things that are wrong with gaelic football.

Passing. Lookit, there's too much passing in the modern game. Etc. Etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's a big part of the traditional GAA summer.

Moaning about all the things that are wrong with gaelic football.

Passing. Lookit, there's too much passing in the modern game. Etc. Etc.

GAA fans seem to really hate tactics too. Prefer their teams to just run about like headless chickens apparently.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Patww79 wrote: »

I know quite well what I'm on about.

Patww79 wrote: »

Weird! I unsubed and resubed to it and it showed.

On a side note, am I the only person here who likes Murph? Yes, Eoin and Ken are better but I enjoy Murphs rambling and think he's ok on GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Murph is fine on the GAA bit, mostly because I always fast forward it.

He's not for me, grand but as someone said, the "Richard Hammond" of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

bren2001 wrote: »
    Weird! I unsubed and resubed to it and it showed.

On a side note, am I the only person here who likes Murph? Yes, Eoin and Ken are better but I enjoy Murphs rambling and think he's ok on GAA.

I like murph and on a reddit thread on second captains, loads of people like him

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I like murph and on a reddit thread on second captains, loads of people like him

It's good to know I'm not the only closest Murph fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I said before I'm a Murph fan for definite.

Although i would agree his role on OTB was a lot more clear cut than it is in SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I like Murph. I'm not a soccer fan, and he speaks for me in those chats (when he does get involved).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I like Murph too, but as I've said before, he does have a tendency to overdue his shtick at times. It's especially evident when Ken's on via Skype and there's a slight delay, when Murph interjects and it breaks up the flow of the discussion, it can be infuriating. He also tends to get too into his own jokes (the Danny Baker tweets for instance) and overdo them to the point where it sort of feels like Eoin and Ken are just sitting and smiling awkwardly at him.

That said, I think the show wouldn't be half as good without him. He's good at GAA, and does have moments of utter brilliance that lighten up the podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I like Murph through familarity and memories of the OTB days when he was very funny a lot of the time but the GAA coverage on the podcast is not good. I know GAA is boring these days but their efforts to liven it up are a bit contrived. Debates last year about Monaghan and if can they win Sam...NO they can't, they just aren't good enough and can't play in Croke Park...talk about sensible stuff.

I think Murph is a bit old fashioned and his viewpoints don't reflect the changes that have happened in GAA over the past couple of years. There is almost no discussion of wider issues such as there being a few elite counties with a huge number of counties making up the numbers, huge demands on players, player burnout, huge amount of injuries, absurdity of the GAA calendar, the game practically being professional in all but name at intercounty level.

I dont think this is all they should talk about but when Parkinson was on Newstalk they covered the normal issues and also the wider issues. SC's coverage just seems to focus on the big games, a bit on tactics and that's it. I think there is very little insight and i'm not entirely sure there is a huge amount of interest in exploring the subject when I listen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Nope you don't. You've clearly demonstrated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Nope you don't. You've clearly demonstrated as such.

Mod: Guys, if you want to have a back and forth pissing contest which at this point is amounting to "I know you are but what am I?" levels, take it to PM please, and stop diverting the thread.

Cheers. /Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I guess we're not getting a euro show today? I thought with everything else football wise on top of that they would.

The whole daily show kind of quietly died a death anyway too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

There wasn't really need for a daily pod after the group stages/maybe last 16. Especially not now that there are only three games left over a week, they'd only be spinning their wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Personally, I could do with 365 football shows a year.

Ah, the eternal Murph debate. My brain glazes over whenever they talk about GAA so I can't say definitively how much of an expert he is on the subject. Though I think if they really, really wanted to cover it in depth they could give it a lot more coverage than they currently do. But I listen to Second Captains for the soccer, so as long as they leave that untouched then I largely don't give a hoot what fate befalls their GAA coverage.

Murph provides something to the show. Sometimes I can be at a loss to explain exactly what, but he can be great at other times - The 1916 debate with Ken, for example. But, yes, over the course of The Euros his funnyman shtick has worn thin at times. Maybe it doesn't help that you can hear in his own voice that he clearly enjoys the sound of his own voice.

Some of the problem is that he fills an uncertain niche in the show. Eoin is the straight man. Ken is the opionated funny man. So that leaves Murph as the.... opionated straight funny man?

Overall, I just view him as part of the package. He's there. He won't be going anywhere. He can irritate or entertain depending on circumstance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement