Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

bren2001 wrote: »
    If its not prestigious (which it clearly isn't) the only alternative is money. I'd say chief sports writer is on decent cash there. They get a lot of clicks a day = $$$

I don't know who's backing sportsjoe financially but I doubt the pay is massively more than what he was getting at the Sindo. A lot of people in old media say online is the future, where the excitement is etc. so I'd say if he was offered a similar wage and a secure job he might have fancied a change of scene. Plus things might have gone a bit sour for him at the Sindo with the change of regime...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

If its not prestigious (which it clearly isn't) the only alternative is money. I'd say chief sports writer is on decent cash there. They get a lot of clicks a day = $$

I don't know who's backing sportsjoe financially but I doubt the pay is massively more than what he was getting at the Sindo. A lot of people in old media say online is the future, where the excitement is etc. so I'd say if he was offered a similar wage and a secure job he might have fancied a change of scene. Plus things might have gone a bit sour for him at the Sindo with the change of regime...
    Probably can work from home a lot rather than London. Might be a semi retirement type option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Arghus wrote: »
    Sportsjoe.ie? Can't see it being an extremely lucrative or prestigious position relative to where he was previously employed.

Newspapers are dying.Look at the output of the Indo now.Nobody is buying a paper and lots have stopped reading them even for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is Joe.ie not a bunch of ladz bantz style bollocks?

I just remember an ad for it when it started.

Newspapers are dying.Look at the output of the Indo now.Nobody is buying a paper and lots have stopped reading them even for free.

Yes but is anything emerging to replace them on the Internet that will offer reliable well-paid journalism jobs? I don't know what Sportsjoe's financial situation in particular, but in general terms no.

What did social media icon David Cochrane do as soon as he had made a name for himself with Politics.ie? Take a job with the Irish Times...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Very true that traditional media is struggling but I don't see any reality where being the editor of sportsjoe.ie is a better role than chief football writer of the Sindo, a paper that still sells an awful lot of copies every week.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still feel to be published in a newspaper carries more clout than to be available on the net for free.

Some people have mentioned "regime change" and while I know nothing about the political machinations of the Sunday Independent I'd imagine that it isn't a hindrance to work for a paper when your father is the editor.

Very true that traditional media is struggling but I don't see any reality where being the editor of sportsjoe.ie is a better role than chief football writer of the Sindo, a paper that still sells an awful lot of copies every week.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still feel to be published in a newspaper carries more clout than to be available on the net for free.

Some people have mentioned "regime change" and while I know nothing about the political machinations of the Sunday Independent I'd imagine that it isn't a hindrance to work for a paper when your father is the editor.

Just in case you weren't aware, Dion's father Aengus died in 2012, Aengus's widow Anne Harris left the editorship in 2014, finally giving total control of the paper to Denis O'Brien. Speculating wildly here of course, but perhaps Dion sensed some negative vibes towards the previous regime and that contributed to his decision to leave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Just in case you weren't aware, Dion's father Aengus died in 2012, Aengus's widow Anne Harris left the editorship in 2014, finally giving total control of the paper to Denis O'Brien. Speculating wildly here of course, but perhaps Dion sensed some negative vibes towards the previous regime and that contributed to his decision to leave...

That's what came to mind when I first heard he was leaving the Sindo.

His brother, Evan, is the Joe.ie editor, which must have had something to do with him joining them. What's not know is what came first - him leaving the Sindo or the offer from Joe.ie

Just in case you weren't aware,Dion's father Aengus died in 2012, Aengus's widow Anne Harris left the editorship in 2014, finally giving total control of the paper to Denis O'Brien. Speculating wildly here of course, but perhaps Dion sensed some negative vibes towards the previous regime and that contributed to his decision to leave...

I was aware.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    That's what came to mind when I first heard he was leaving the Sindo.

His brother, Evan, is the Joe.ie editor, which must have had something to do with him joining them. What's not know is what came first - him leaving the Sindo or the offer from Joe.ie

I didn't know that, it would certainly give Dion an impetus to make this move that wouldn't apply to any other prominent sportswriter...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    He was on OTB just after it was announced and Joe Molloy did ask him in a "wtf are you doing" kind of way. He got fairly defensive and didn't really answer the question.

He had a bit of vague go at the Independent if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Probably can work from home a lot rather than London. Might be a semi retirement type option.

Semi retirement?! The chap's only in his late 30s/early 40s.

Semi retirement?! The chap's only in his late 30s/early 40s.
    Less work, same pay if you like.. he should be working largely from home in Ireland rather than in London on the press conference/matchday beat that he has been on the past couple of years. We'd all do it if we could.

Less work, same pay if you like.. he should be working largely from home in Ireland rather than in London on the press conference/matchday beat that he has been on the past couple of years. We'd all do it if we could.

I can only dream of feeling the misery of the press conference/match day beat for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I can only dream of feeling the misery of the press conference/match day beat for a living.

Dion gives me the impression that his job is a chore to him. I don't get that he has the same enthusiasm that Ken has.
    I'm not a fan of his tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭batistuta9

allybhoy wrote: »
    gucci wrote: »
    They said at the end of todays general sports one that they would have a football one on Monday (none today)

Is the documentary they were talking about the ESPN 30 for 30 one? They spoke about it alot but didnt really give away much to us scumbags who arent fully up to speed with what the TV world is doing!

Its not part of the 30 for 30 but i think its made by the same team or division in EPEN. Its called Made in America: The OJ simpson story.. think you can stream it direct from ESPN from here

5 episodes, roughly an hour and a half each, well worth a watch.

Edit:- scratch that, its only a teaser, I downloaded it in the usual places you would find such stuff

late notice but the first 2 are on espn now at 12, the rest from the same time the following night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I have watched the first episode, its pretty in depth!! I can see why they needed 5 episodes! It looks good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Sportsjoe.ie? Can't see it being an extremely lucrative or prestigious position relative to where he was previously employed.

If its not prestigious (which it clearly isn't) the only alternative is money. I'd say chief sports writer is on decent cash there. They get a lot of clicks a day = $$

Tony Barrett has left the Times and joined joe.co.uk as chief sports writer in a move similar to Fanning's - looks like it's hiring top sports writers is a priority and they have the cash there to fund it.

Barrett has good sources at Liverpool and often breaks stories from inside the club - I wonder will he be able to maintain those links while working for joe.

Tony Barrett has left the Times and joined joe.co.uk as chief sports writer in a move similar to Fanning's - looks like it's hiring top sports writers is a priority and they have the cash there to fund it.

Barrett has good sources at Liverpool and often breaks stories from inside the club - I wonder will he be able to maintain those links while working for joe.

Why would he lose the sources by moving from traditional media?

I think it's funny all the people questioning Fanning's move to Sports Joe.ie. I'm sure he knows what he's doing. He knows a lot more about the money he is making and the long term prospects of employment. He's much more informed than (probably) everyone here who is questioning his decision.

A lot of people thought the Second Captains lads were idiots for leaving traditional media to start a podcast but it seems to be working out very well for them.

Of course it's entirely possible that Dion has made a complete fool of himself and will be scrounging around looking for freelance work off the Evening Herald in a year or two. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Why would he lose the sources by moving from traditional media?

Im not saying he will, just questioning - on the face of it his personal relationships with people at the club shouldn't be affected.

On the other hand it will be a first to see Joe break a Liverpool story (or a story on any subject) before the times/guardian/telegraph/mirror so if his job description remains the same it would be a new departure. As Barrett is currently the only writer there at the moment and his ties are with Liverpool it will be odd if joe are breaking Liverpool transfer news etc but haven't got much else - I was thinking this might put off his sources at the club.

Or it may be the case he just writes opinion pieces on every team in the league and drops the odd bit of transfer news on Twitter.

In regards to fanning or any other journalist moving to joe I largely agree with you - its not like the independent has sky high journalistic standards and if they can pay you what you want then why not - if it doesn't work out then there will be no problem going somewhere else. I think eyebrows were raised because joe is filled with a lot of clickbait, celebrity and populist nonsense and Fanning is currently the only good writer there. But it's a changing world and sites like joe may be the future.

• Advertisement

I think eyebrows were raised because joe is filled with a lot of clickbait, celebrity and populist nonsense and Fanning is currently the only good writer there. But it's a changing world and sites like joe may be the future.

Yeah, I agree. Joe.ie are obviously trying to change how they are viewed. I think it will take a while though, a lot of people I know just ignore Joe.ie's stuff now. In a way, they may need to drop the clickbait articles also, if they expect people to respect their journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Does anyone know if there is a 2nd Captains fantasy football league?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Great to hear the Timmy McCarthy jingle back! Downtown!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Why is miguel Delaney so ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Beersmith wrote: »
    Why is miguel Delaney so ****e?

I find him insufferable. Graham Linehan tore him 30 new ar$€holes on twitter when he had a go at Father Ted, it was pretty funny.

I'm fond of giving out about some of their contributors but I find Miguel to be alright.

Poor Ken can't do a season preview to save his life. Psychoanalysis of Jose, zlatan & klopp is not a season preview.

FFS just review the squads..strengths/weaknesses and predict a top 4..not too difficult

Maybe he did in the end but I switched off before Miguel finished his first sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Poor Ken can't do a season preview to save his life. Psychoanalysis of Jose, zlatan & klopp is not a season preview.

FFS just review the squads..strengths/weaknesses and predict a top 4..not too difficult

Maybe he did in the end but I switched off before Miguel finished his first sentence.

Thought it was a pretty poor season preview alright. Spoke a bit about all the celebrity managers himself first and then Miguel Delaney joined and they spoke some more about Mourinho and Pep and their two clubs and very little on anybody else. Barely any actual players got a look in apart from Zlatan briefly.

Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Leicester, etc barely got a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm already sick of pep and Jose talk.

We know.

We know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭curiousoranje

Nothing much else to talk about til the season starts. Season previews are generally pretty worthless anyway and every newspaper is full of them, so didn't mind the different tone of discussion. If they lowered the volume of Miguel's voice he would be a lot more tolerable.

Thought they might have brought up Brian Kerr's rant about the FAI, but LOI is back to being ignored.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement