Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm already sick of pep and Jose talk.

We know.

We know.

I've been dreading this b*llocks ever since United brought that spanner back to England.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I'm already sick of pep and Jose talk.

We know.

We know.

Well if its anything like last season, the football wont be worth talking about, so may as well start as they mean to go on!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I've been dreading this b*llocks ever since United brought that spanner back to England.

As a United fan, so have I. :(

Part of me would be willing to suffer a crap season just so maybe he'd have another meltdown and fade away into obscurity. It's sort of sickening how most fans have already forgotten his antics at Chelsea last year and are embracing him as some sort of hero.

I fear the next few months on SC and Football Weekly will be dominated by this clown...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Far too much time in general given over to in the media about the inner workings of Mourinho's mind. The meltdown he had at Chelsea last year showed that there isn't as much going on up there as people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Apart from not really having anything interesting to say, it is Miguel Delaney's poor diction that does it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Dara O'Briain on this morning...guess the big-name comics are reliable guests...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Apart from not really having anything interesting to say, it is Miguel Delaney's poor diction that does it for me.

The premier league special was unbelievable. I thought my phone was freezing but it was just him constantly speed talking to a point he stutters over himself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Listened back to the Katie Taylor episode now. 2 things struck me:
    1. The alleged issues with her dad, while personal, obviously are a major cause of her issues this year. I get why they don't go into details on this, but it's frustrating too.
    2. Andy Lee is a superb analyst. I don't care for boxing, but could listen to him all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Yeah some really interesting stuff from Andy, sayin Katie was being over trained but was too afraid to speak up to Zaur.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Good pods yesterday.

The interview with Ewan McKenna was fascinating.
    We knew about Mo's Oregon camp being more than a little suspect.

Ewan is catching a lot of shade regarding the bent trainer that Mo apparently forgot the existence of in his press conference.

Cages have been rattled.

https://twitter.com/YasminSantigold/status/765577179040194560

And the line about UK journos thanking him for his efforts was depressing.
    Some media they have there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just listened to the chat with MacKenna, fascinating stuff.

That woman's twitter account has since been deleted.

I think it's a fair point he makes, if you have nothing to hide why are you hiding stuff? I don't care how nice a person is or how well you get on, if someone is associated with doping you stay away from them. And if you don't you must be prepared for the questions that will come. Although it seems MacKenna was the first person to ask Farrah about the pictures.

Also, I have to agree with what they were saying about former athletes as commentators/pundits. It's great to get their expertise but when they're best mates with the people still competing, or in Steve Cram's case an actual coach, you're just never going to get objectivity. Rebecca Adlington on the swimming was ridiculous. If there were no British people in a race she was fine, knew her stuff, but her contributions when a Brit won was like watching them interview a family member on the verge of tears.

Also, I have to agree with what they were saying about former athletes as commentators/pundits. It's great to get their expertise but when they're best mates with the people still competing, or in Steve Cram's case an actual coach, you're just never going to get objectivity. Rebecca Adlington on the swimming was ridiculous. If there were no British people in a race she was fine, knew her stuff, but her contributions when a Brit won was like watching them interview a family member on the verge of tears.

Agreed. Had the diving on last night, John Kenny was obviously bigging up the Irish guy, but in a normal manner. Switched to the BBC, and they were doing the whole "TEAM GB IS TEH AMAZE" and referring to their athletes by first name only. Very annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Rebecca Adlington on the swimming was ridiculous. If there were no British people in a race she was fine, knew her stuff, but her contributions when a Brit won was like watching them interview a family member on the verge of tears.

All in between her trying to sexually assault Mark Foster!

All in between her trying to sexually assault Mark Foster!

They were as bad as each other. To be fair I quite enjoyed the trio BBC had in "studio" for the swimming. They were fun to watch, but if you're looking for unbiased presenting they're not for you. Sharron Davies was dreadful poolside, as were the commentators, especially when it came to Sun Yang and Efimova. Weirdly though they spent the first few days cursing them from a height and then all of a sudden stopped, not a mention about any of the controversy for the last few days.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

A ridiculous amount of stuff has happened since the last podcast, it's times like this you'd miss them on the radio, getting their immediate reaction to these big breaking stories.

A ridiculous amount of stuff has happened since the last podcast, it's times like this you'd miss them on the radio, getting their immediate reaction to these big breaking stories.

They've put out a few extra ones during the Olympics but yesterday and today have just been nuts.
    Sometimes it's better to be a day or so late because it's less reactionary and usually there's a lot of gossip flying around with the facts initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The Pat Hickey special podcast is out now. Looking forward to it :D:D

• Advertisement

Ken being bitter or just funny? I assume the latter...

Had to laugh at the olympics talk when they were saying that the BBC were being very jingoistic...

Our own national broadcaster is hardly a haven of impartiality. Christ, I mean, the commentary during Annalaise Murphy's medal race was utterly sickening to listen to. I was one "Murphy Magic!" away from putting it on mute...

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the olympics talk when they were saying that the BBC were being very jingoistic...

Our own national broadcaster is hardly a haven of impartiality. Christ, I mean, the commentary during Annalaise Murphy's medal race was utterly sickening to listen to. I was one "Murphy Magic!" away from putting it on mute...

I thought that guy doing Murphy's race was pretty funny, to be honest. But yeah, generally speaking RTÉ are just as bad. They had Gillick in the mixed zone after Thomas Barr's SF win and they seem to be best friends and apparently they've got Barr's sister in studio today to provide analysis on his final. She was a track athlete herself so I'm sure she knows her stuff but I wouldn't expect to get much sense out of her after the race if he manages to win a medal.

Just listened to the "special" they put out yesterday. Not sure it was necessary as there was nothing in it of any great note other than them reacting almost as the news was breaking. They probably should have just left it for today, even the boxing has had more developments since yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Ken does a season preview on last Friday's Arsecast with Andrew Mangan.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

While we're continuing the OTB theme Gilesy said Eoin tonight before quickly correcting himself.

I'd say Ken was joking in that tweet but probably a bit annoyed that they have now decided to extend the show into drivetime hours three years after they decided to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

While we're continuing the OTB theme Gilesy said Eoin tonight before quickly correcting himself.

I'd say Ken was joking in that tweet but probably a bit annoyed that they have now decided to extend the show into drivetime hours three years after they decided to leave.

Although I'm sure he can see there is a pressing rationale for it now that there wasn't then...

Although I'm sure he can see there is a pressing rationale for it now that there wasn't then...

Now they've been a bit vague about this, but as far as I understand they're giving OTB an extra half hour on top of the three hours they already have, to me that makes zero sense, three hours is more than enough time a night to cover sport, even if it was the old crew I wouldn't be overly enthusiastic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ken took an interesting angle when covering the Dundalk match on Wednesday. The issue with the large crowd made up up of lots of neutrals there to follow Dundalk and their unease at how they were suppoed to "support" the team.

Then he brought a 1 newspaper article, hearsay, and a 3rd party account of an incident to paint a picture of the hardcore Dundalk fans resenting the fact that there were 25,000 at the game that would not normally be there.

Predictably the "barstooler" topic was introduced into the discussion as it often is when Ken is talking about he LOI.

Ciarán Murphy especially get very prickly when this topic comes up. In fairness to McDevitt he rarely takes sides and is usually playing Devils Advocate.

I recall a podcast early this season when they both took umbrage to LOI's "Real Football, Real Fans" advertising campaign at the start of the season.

Why so touchy?

• Advertisement

Ken took an interesting angle when covering the Dundalk match on Wednesday. The issue with the large crowd made up up of lots of neutrals there to follow Dundalk and their unease at how they were suppoed to "support" the team.

Then he brought a 1 newspaper article, hearsay, and a 3rd party account of an incident to paint a picture of the hardcore Dundalk fans resenting the fact that there were 25,000 at the game that would not normally be there.

Predictably the "barstooler" topic was introduced into the discussion as it often is when Ken is talking about he LOI.

Ciarán Murphy especially get very prickly when this topic comes up. In fairness to McDevitt he rarely takes sides and is usually playing Devils Advocate.

I recall a podcast early this season when they both took umbrage to LOI's "Real Football, Real Fans" advertising campaign at the start of the season.

Why so touchy?

As I see it:

Partly pangs of guilt that we don't support our own league that well.
    Partly defensiveness about supporting EPL teams because of better quality, etc.
    And partly reaction to the general vocal LOI fanbase with their holier than thou attitude towards the game.

Quiet easy to see why people get tetchy about it tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement