Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ewan MacKenna is the new Paul Kimmage!

He may want to be but he is far from anywhere near Kimmage.

Kimmage's articles are usually quite interesting and engaging whereas the ones I've read by MacKenna drift into hyperbole and not entirely truthful either.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

CatFromHue wrote: »

Kimmage's articles are usually quite interesting and engaging whereas the ones I've read by MacKenna drift into hyperbole and not entirely truthful either.

Too modest CatFromHue - you unwound some of MacKenna's embroidery yourself, something that slid past the current credulous OTB crew far too easily:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97468662&postcount=2127

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The View From Fairview has to become a regular feature :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

It was so good I went back and listened to it again at normal speed when I'd finished the podcast. I Liked how Murph obviously didn't know what was going on at the start when he questioned the children selling bits of coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Staring laughing when I could hear the Marino Waltz begin playing in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Was that on last weeks one too? Ken doing the aul Dublin schtick?

I haven't caught up on Monday's yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Was that on last weeks one too? Ken doing the aul Dublin schtick?

I haven't caught up on Monday's yet.

I don't think so, but it was on Sunday's radio show on Radio 1, which I found hysterical.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I don't think so, but it was on Sunday's radio show on Radio 1, which I found hysterical.

Oh yeah, that's where i heard it. Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I was on the bus on the way into town yesterday evening when that segment came on. I was doing my best to stifle the laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"It'd turn the porter sour in your guts."

The lads were a bit dense in struggling to see the reasons why non-Dubs are always itching for Dublin to lose. Let me see, off the top of my head:

- Traditional anti-Dublin bias, which causes people to hate: check.

- Dublin having way, way, WAAAAYYYY, more resources at their disposal than their competitors, like money, population and, of course, endless home games, thereby ensuring perpetual over-dog status. Also causes people to hate: check.

- The volcanic mountain of hype that begins to emit hot gases early in the summer as Dublin tonk some poor Leinster unfortunates by 20 points, and that culminates volcanically in early Autumn when Ken, who generally doesn't have much to say about GAA, suddenly in the wake of a Dublin victory once again discovers his inner true-blue Dub fan. Defintely causes people to hate: check.

- Reigning champions hate: check.

Don't get me wrong: The view from Fairview was fantastic and I didn't really give a hoot who won that semi final, but the lads general obtuseness about golly gee WHY people could possibly want Dublin to lose had me rolling my eyes at my mobile device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

"I saw him foostering around with some aul beads" :pac::pac::pac::pac:

The View from Fairview may well be one of my top 5 ever Ken moments - love the way in particular how Ken, a Dub, has to make a considerable effort to speak in a variety of bad Dublin accents.

Is there a specific programme that this type of sketch is parodying? I know it's a common trope (Tom Dunne doing Bill Cullen etc) but not sure where it's derived from :confused:

re: the faux bemusement at the Dublin hate - I think Eoin was just stirring the pot & playing devil's advocate to create a few minutes debate. I can't believe that anyone in Ireland could be in any doubt as to why Dublin are generally disliked

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Cartman78 wrote: »
    "I saw him foostering around with some aul beads" :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Is there a specific programme that this type of sketch is parodying? I know it's a common trope (Tom Dunne doing Bill Cullen etc) but not sure where it's derived from :confused:

Goes back to O'Casey at least, but for nostalgic cod Dublinese - Éamonn MacThomáis ... quality bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Cartman78 wrote: »

re: the faux bemusement at the Dublin hate - I think Eoin was just stirring the pot & playing devil's advocate to create a few minutes debate. I can't believe that anyone in Ireland could be in any doubt as to why Dublin are generally disliked

Hmmmm... Well it's certainly possible that it could have been a bit of knowing pot stirring, after all Eoin is no-fool. I would wonder a little, however...

If you live in Dublin, work in Dublin and chat about the Dublin GAA after a great victory, with other Dubliners, then there's always a chance that your observations are going to be a bit one eyed. Even Murph. I thought, et tu, Murph?, when he didn't chime in with some expected anecdote about how young fellas like he himself, from Ballyarsebackwards across the land, have been heavily indoctrinated since birth to hate any shape of a Dublin GAA victory and to laugh uproariously at their failure and hubris, or, as they call it - "notions".

It is the Irish Times too, which is the most Dublin-centric of all major media outlets in the country. That's not to say it isn't a good paper, sure don't I be reading it myself! Sometimes, to be fair, it can be a little...Capital focused. Did you see the paper today? They gave nearly as much space on their front page to the closure of Kevin Thornton' s restaurant as they did to that whole story about the 13 billion that may or may not be sloshing our way. Ah heyor! Jaysis! Not the 'bould Thornton's! Hopefully the plain people of the countryside are able to light a candle at mass for the craythur.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

You lads may not have heard this, but apparently Ken was at the Brazil/Germany game in Belo Horizonte.

He doesn't like mentioning it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Listening to yesterday's football show - that sting from when Ken was in France and couldn't sit in his own train seat - hilarious.

It's as excellent as anything they've ever done. I've listened to it about ten times.

Hilarious, sez I.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

dulpit wrote: »
    Listening to yesterday's football show - that sting from when Ken was in France and couldn't sit in his own train seat - hilarious.

It's great, but I still can't understand why they left out the most Curb Your Enthusiasm bit from it where Rafael Honigstein (the very man who sorted Ken out with a seat at one of the games) shows up at the end, spots exactly what Ken has done, and warns him not to rob his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

check_six wrote: »
    It's great, but I still can't understand why they left out the most Curb Your Enthusiasm bit from it where Rafael Honigstein (the very man who sorted Ken out with a seat at one of the games) shows up at the end, spots exactly what Ken has done, and warns him not to rob his seat.

What they really need to do with that train segment is have Ken retell it in the View from Fairview style

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I was struggling to find a house to live in over the last few weeks. I really felt solidarity with everyone else who's in a similar boat.

As soon as I got a place, I literally said to myself as I was walking away "Now I'm one of the haves rather than the have nots." :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The utter contempt Ken had for Jack Wilshere joining Bournemouth instead of AC Milan was another highlight of this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's as excellent as anything they've ever done. I've listened to it about ten times.

Hilarious, sez I.

Ditto. Absolutely brilliant. Reminds me of reading the gingerman. The Marino waltz in the background caps it off

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

CatFromHue wrote: »

While Kimmage can be annoying at times he's an excellent journalist, he gets you thinking. He did the Sunday paper review on OTB a few weeks back, and it was a joy to listen to the passion of how he goes about his Questions and Answers style of journalism. I'd highly recommend it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

dulpit wrote: »

It cracks me up every time I hear it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

threein99 wrote: »
    It cracks me up every time I hear it :D

Knock yourself out with unlimited 'curb your kenthusiasm':p

"He walked away saying the word 'tosser'":D

https://soundcloud.com/secondcaptains/the-ken-early-euros-train-experience

For completion, can anyone do a photo mash-up of Ken and Larry, even just put Ken's hair on Larry's head?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Is Ciarán Murphy in charge of political correctness on the show now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I must have missed something:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

It appears we all did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

batistuta9 wrote: »
    what happened?

He's was all SJW on behalf of tall Prussian soldiers.

(no that wasn't an autocorrect fail)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

He's was all SJW on behalf of tall Prussian soldiers.

(no that wasn't an autocorrect fail)

No, I'm afraid you'll have to elaborate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement