Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing 100mb,hardware choice

Options
  • 02-05-2013 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi,
    I have used the search tool but would like some advice from people's experience if possible.

I live in a house divided into apartments. We all share one 100 mb connection with upc. We run cables to wireless routers for some, others direct in. The plan is to have everyone hard wired to a single router port each, even if some of them pass through a wireless router to get to their respective port. Up untill recently there was only 3 of us on it and it was fine. With two others its at the stage where it can get really slow.

I would like to buy a router that I can manage the bandwidth used by each ethernet port on it. I would like to implement a percentage sharing whereby each port is even a fraction of the bandwidth based on how many are connected. So if 2 people are on they both get 50%, if all 5 are on they each get 20%.

So the cisco 3925 would be in bridge mode to a router which each apartment would connect to individually.

I would like an 8 port router with the facility to manage the bandwidth as indicated. As far as i can tell dd-wrt and tomato do not do this.

Their pages on Qos are about prioritizing bandwidth. So maybe I need to use tomato or dd-wrt to prioritize web browsing and streaming and not torrents or something similar, rather than the percentage based way which seems fairer to me. eg, someone doesn't stream a lot finds the internet slow is unfair as they're paying the same as someone streaming all day long. And then they want to watch an hour or two of tv and they might as well have a dongle.

i realize this is probably only available on very expensive network equipment but I thought I would ask anyway. Isn't that what the internet was invented for?pacman.gif

Advice welcome and I really have very little knowledge on this so feel free to be blunt. (but i am only human so... wink.png)

Comments

Advertisement