Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 17: Beef Madras

Options
  • 02-05-2013 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

I am loveisdivine I'm just signed in as KJ (the OH!).

So heres our recipe for beef madras. This time it turned out a slightly darker colour than normal, I think it was the mushrooms, so dont be put off by the less than appetising look of the dish. Its still very tasty :)

Serves 2

Ingredients :
    2 Chillies (This makes it quite mild so add more if you like lots of heat)
    2 teaspoons of ground coriander
    2 teaspoons of ground turmeric
    1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds
    half teaspoon of ground ginger (or fresh if you like)
    half teaspoon of pepper
    1 tin of coconut milk
    4 tablespoons of groundnut oil or vegetable oil or ghee if you have it
    2 onions
    3 cloves of garlic
    400g steak pieces
    200g pack of mushrooms
    250ml beef stock
    squeeze of lemon juice
    salt to taste

DSCN1237_zpsc46f51ed.jpg

Method:
    Put the kettle on for your stock.
    Get on with prepping the veg. Roughly chop the onions, slice the mushrooms and finely chop the garlic and chillies.

DSCN1238_zpsb1e73218.jpg

Make your spice paste.
    In a small bowl add the chopped chilli, ground coriander, turmeric, mustard seeds, ginger and pepper. Mix to combine then stir in about 3 spoons of your coconut milk to make a thin paste.

DSCN1239_zps3900bc3a.jpg

Heat the oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish that has a lid, over a medium high heat.
    Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking, until they are golden brown.

DSCN1240_zpsedaef470.jpg

Then add the garlic, let it fry for 30 seconds and then add the spice paste and fry for a couple of minutes.

DSCN1245_zps163adf24.jpg

Add the beef and fry for a couple of minutes, then add the mushrooms and give it all a good mix to make sure its all coated in the paste. Then add the stock, scraping the bottom of the pan to get all the caramalised bits off. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and clamp on the lid. Leave to cook for at least an hour, or as long as you can to get the meat nice and tender. Stir occasionally so it doesnt catch.

DSCN1246_zps17d07c45.jpg

After an hour or more it should look a bit like this -

DSCN1248_zps0ee40774.jpg

About half an hour before you want to eat, stir in the rest of the coconut milk, a squeeze of lemon and some salt to taste.

DSCN1249_zps69196302.jpg

Leave to simmer with the lid off, you can increase the heat if you want to thicken the sauce a bit more. Whilst its reducing, cook your rice or naan breads.

Serve with whatever condiments you prefer :)

DSCN1255_zps4776c54e.jpg

Its normally a little more yellow in colour, but like I said I think the mushrooms we used gave it a slightly darker colour this time round.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Looks like my Saturday dinner :D Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Didn't quite get around to making it at the weekend, but had some last night, with leftovers for lunch today. Tasty, but I would have added a few more chillies. Although, my boyfriend claims it needed no further spicing up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Should be making this on Sunday, looks lovely. How hot is it? I love very spicy food but I don't want to go overboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Oooooooohhhh!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

decisions wrote: »
    Should be making this on Sunday, looks lovely. How hot is it? I love very spicy food but I don't want to go overboard.

Husband made it during the week. I love very spicy food too, this dish is very nice but I didn't find it particularly spicy at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Roesy wrote: »
    Husband made it during the week. I love very spicy food too, this dish is very nice but I didn't find it particularly spicy at all.
    I'll throw in a couple more chillies then, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

This looks good, I might go easy on the mushrooms though. Good thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Charlie 08

Tried this yesterday and loved it.might try it in the slow cooker next time!

Advertisement