Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No internet connection but still connected?

Options
  • 02-05-2013 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Yesterday, my laptop was working fine, it was on youtube and everything...then I deleted a few videos to create more space on it and permanently deleted them from the recycling bin and went back onto youtube. However the page started to load but it stayed blank for about 10 minutes. I tried every site on my Opera Speed Dial but nothing happened. I tried all the other internet browers(Chrome and Firefox) still nothing. However, down in the bottom right corner, it still said I was connected to the Home modem???:confused: Its still like this now and Im really getting p*ssed off!! :mad:

If anyone can help, please suggest, thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

And are you getting an internet connection on any other device connected to that modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Are the DSL and Internet lights green on the router ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MikeRotch65

Yeah, my iPad and the main computer

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you connected wired or wireless ?

Wireless...also the yellow triangle with the ''!'' keeps coming and going and it also keeps refreshing???

Yes, the lights are on it and everything...

• Advertisement

Well its the network connection on the lap top.
    Goto Control Panel >network connections & right click on the wireless connection and select properties. Scroll down & select Internet Protocol Version 4 and select properties does it say Obtain IP address automatically & obtain DNS server address automatically.?

yeah, it does

Try right click disable then right click enable.

Did that...still nothing happening

And if you try an Ethernet connection does it work OK?

• Advertisement

Nope, nothing

Are you still getting the same , limited connectivity?
    But other devices connect OK ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

turn off your modem and route

it might be your antivirus delete it then reinstall

try cat5 directly to modem

Yep......they work perfectly

????
    You just said the Ethernet connection didn't work.
    Does it?
    If it does delete the wireless connection & create a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

if it says unidentified network in network and sharing centre then your lan/wlan drivers are the problem

vista and lately win 8 seems to be having this issue alot.

i work for an isp and we are getting lots of calls regarding this.

if you are using the driver from microsoft update or just the one that was installed when you installed windows you will often get this bug.

on another working computer download the wlan/lan drivers from the manufacturer's website not windows update copy them onto a usb stick and then copy them onto your affected computer and run the setup program to install the proper driver and it will generally fix the issue.

wlan most affected seem to be intel based wlan drivers made by microsoft.

download the intel drivers from intel's website for your wlan and it will work.

microsoft are **** at writing drivers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If you don't get any connectivity wired or wirelessly, check your computers firewall (if you have one installed) to make sure it is working correctly, uninstalling it if necessary even just temporarily.

Nick

Thanks for the help guys.....it works now. It was my anti-virus protection that was causing it....
    three days after I installed it the internet wasnt working. Just after uninstalling it and now it works fine. Thanks again for the help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

How much should I pay for a charging cable for a tablet?

Advertisement