Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Query Re Stolen iphone

• 02-05-2013 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey, So I am just wondering what happens when someone steals your iphone? It was taken out of my handbag and when I realised it was gone I rang it and it was off.. I have that findmyiphone app and keep checking icloud but as far as I can see it has not been on. I got it blocked in the o2 shop so they cant use a sim in it. Im just wondering does anyone know what happens when an iphone is stolen? Do people wipe it right away and if they do does that mean that the findmyiphone app is gone? I am like a mad women checking icloud all the time to see if I can pick up its location or to see if the message I left them once it is turned on is read.. Im in contract for another year and a half and dont want to lose the faith that once they realise they cant do anything with it they might hand it in somewhere.. Doubtful I know. :( Any information would be greatly appreciated :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

shellib wrote: »
    Hey, So I am just wondering what happens when someone steals your iphone? It was taken out of my handbag and when I realised it was gone I rang it and it was off.. I have that findmyiphone app and keep checking icloud but as far as I can see it has not been on. I got it blocked in the o2 shop so they cant use a sim in it. Im just wondering does anyone know what happens when an iphone is stolen? Do people wipe it right away and if they do does that mean that the findmyiphone app is gone? I am like a mad women checking icloud all the time to see if I can pick up its location or to see if the message I left them once it is turned on is read.. Im in contract for another year and a half and dont want to lose the faith that once they realise they cant do anything with it they might hand it in somewhere.. Doubtful I know. :( Any information would be greatly appreciated :o
    Find my iPhone does not allow you to track a phone that it is installed on. The setting is in iCloud settings. Find my iPhone allows you to search for another one but anyway once you got O2 to block it you lost any chance of locating it. It might still work on other networks and it will prob just be sold on eBay or the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shellib

The women in the shop said it would still be able to connect to the internet via wifi.. Would the app not work then? Before I got it blocked I was trying to find it using findmyiphone on icloud but it said it was offline.. Im sorry I dont understand what you mean about it not allowing you to track your phone.. I thought that was the whole point of it? I used that other app another time you know findmyfriends or what ever it is called and it tols me where I was down to the number of the house?? Thanks for your time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

shellib wrote: »
    The women in the shop said it would still be able to connect to the internet via wifi.. Would the app not work then? Before I got it blocked I was trying to find it using findmyiphone on icloud but it said it was offline.. Im sorry I dont understand what you mean about it not allowing you to track your phone.. I thought that was the whole point of it? I used that other app another time you know findmyfriends or what ever it is called and it tols me where I was down to the number of the house?? Thanks for your time :)

Guil explained the common misconception that installing the find my iPhone app doesn't actually do anything to your phone. To be able to locate/disable/show message on your lost/stolen phone you have to switch on the "find my iPhone" setting in settings -> iCloud on your phone. It does not matter if you have the find my iPhone app installed or not. The app (or the online method you used) can then used to track the phone, but if you didn't have the setting on (and only the app installed) it doesn't actually work. It seems in your case though the setting is on cause otherwise the phone won't appear in the list of devices when you use the iPhone (or online) app.
    Your phone will probably be able to connect through wifi, but if you have/had a pass code set on your phone this is unlikely. Also you can ask for an email notification if the phone ever goes back online. I wouldn't have too much hope though, people who steal iPhones probably know about all this stuff...
    I guess you didn't have insurance, but you might want to check your home insurance, some policies cover phone outside your house (beware of excess and no-claims penalty in case of a claim)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

it until it goes back online

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Unless you are prepared to go after the thief yourself, Find My iPhone is useless. The Guards have better things to be doing.

I really wish Apple would introduce some kind of firmware password that can't be reset. At least then you'd have the satisfaction of knowing the device is totally locked down and the thief can't just sell it on Ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shellib

Thanks guys!
    Now Im lookin to buy a new iphone an was wondering if I buy a second hand one can you insure it? Also (sorry I havent a clue) but if I buy one that is locked does that means its robbed? I dont want to buy a robbed iphone cause I know how it feels :( I only had my previous iphone insured for damages.. Silly me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Be careful when buying second-hand iPhone.

A few people have posted, that shortly after buying a second-hand iPhone the phone stops working. This scam involves someone selling an insured phone, and then after they get the money, they report it stolen. The network then restricts the phone and it cannot be used.

Advertisement