Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish curry sauce

Options
  • 02-05-2013 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Has anyone heard of such a thing as Irish curry sauce and if so anyone got a recipe, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Complete guess, but if someone asked me what Irish curry sauce was, I would say this stuff.

http://foodsofeire.com/mcdonnells-curry-sauce

Its thick and gloopy and made with lots of artificial favourings and bears no relation to anything from the Indian sub-continent. Its used to make curry chips in vans all over the country every Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

huskerdu wrote: »
    Complete guess, but if someone asked me what Irish curry sauce was, I would say this stuff.

http://foodsofeire.com/mcdonnells-curry-sauce

Its thick and gloopy and made with lots of artificial favourings and bears no relation to anything from the Indian sub-continent. Its used to make curry chips in vans all over the country every Saturday night.

This is what I thought also. Sure, it's packed with MSG, but it's lovely stuff!!! I want some curry chips now, yummm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Sure, it's packed with MSG
    So are oxo cubes & knorr aromat, I would bet many people who avoid Chinese food due to MSG have been eating MSG from these 2 sources since they were toddlers.

Bensons is another brand like the chippers have. There are other ones just like what you get in Chinese takeaways too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ingredients: Wheat Flour Sugar Vegetable Fat Curry Powder (11%) (Cumin, Turmeric, Coriander, Fenugreek, Clove, Garlic, Chilli, Black Pepper, Mustard Seed Ginger, Cassia, Salt) Tomato Powder Salt Flavourings (contains Celery) Glucose Syrup Flavour Enhancers (Monosodium Glutamate, Sodium 5'-Ribonucleotides) Citric Acid

I like it though from time to time. Half rice, half chips and a cheapo Irish chicken curry made from McDonnells :D

Advertisement