Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction & Planning section

Options
  • 02-05-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

I have made several points over the years about the zealous modding in Construction & Planning section. What was an excellent forum has been absoluelty killed by some mods (not all mods). Now the forum is a pale shadow of its previous self as most of the significant members with huge knowledge have left or post sporadically at best.

Looks like I am not the only one who thinks this:

http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/forum114/comments.php?DiscussionID=9951&page=1#Item_0

Read the 8th comment by "Chris P Bacon", start half way down.

This post is totally in a constructive manner: a suggestion the rules could be changed or relaxed. The forum is suffocating.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Feed Forward.

In fairness, Chris P. Bacon had a somewhat chequered history on boards, so I wouldn't class him as the most reliable of sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

In fairness Zaph I've seen worse records on boards and he wasn't too bad - never banned from C&P that I can see. He's also referring people to boards and just saying that people should read the charters - where's the bad in that? It's also a closed account so no right to reply - bit unfair to criticise on that basis.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

He had a number of accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

ah that changes it alright.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

kboc wrote: »
    I have made several points over the years about the zealous modding in Construction & Planning section...The forum is suffocating.

Could you provide some examples of what you say is suffocating, zealous moderating?

I went through the first 10 pages of the forum looking at locked threads. By the time I got to page 4, I didn't need to open threads to see why they were locked (but I opened and read them anyway).

The forum has a strict charter and this is necessary because of the risk of the need for professional advice to be sought in relation to construction and planning (and indeed most regulatory) issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Could you provide some examples of what you say is suffocating, zealous moderating?

With all due respect to both of us I am not going to belittle both our arguements and counter arguements about this. Rules are rules and need to be there, but, in my opinion and I am sure I am not on my own the moderating is far too restrictive.
    I went through the first 10 pages of the forum looking at locked threads. By the time I got to page 4, I didn't need to open threads to see why they were locked (but I opened and read them anyway).

This is not the proof I had in mind. Maybe the mods or site adminsitrators could provide some sort of stats to show logins, visitors, new threads, replies, etc., etc., etc. from Construction and Planning section.

More importantly I would like to see the stats on 5/6 members. These are members who know their stuff, to the extent that others respectfully hung on their every word, sadly, these members have decrease their contributions. Some of these members are moderators, even the moderators have decreased their contributions to the forum.
    The forum has a strict charter and this is necessary because of the risk of the need for professional advice to be sought in relation to construction and planning (and indeed most regulatory) issues.

Indeed and fully agree. Like I said at the outset, I am saying this to stimulate a debate which just might bring about a positive change. If mods and/or members are constantly asking for evidence as their first response to my initial and subsequent points, then no progress will be made and the C+P section will bleed away to a shadow of its form self.

Good luck

• Subscribers Posts: 41,608 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Seeing as the domestic construction industry has basically stopped since 2009, I dont see how viewing new threads, visitors, replies etc as an indication of moderatIon policy makes any logical sense.

However, if specific moderation actions are in question, by all means point them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

If mods and/or members are constantly asking for evidence as their first response to my initial and subsequent points, then no progress will be made and the C+P section will bleed away to a shadow of its form self.

Well none of want to see that but I for one am at a loss owing to the generalized non specific nature of your allegation. Once again you are asked - please show an example to illustrate your point.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Seeing as the domestic construction industry has basically stopped since 2009, I dont see how viewing new threads, visitors, replies etc as an indication of moderatIon policy makes any logical sense.

However, if specific moderation actions are in question, by all means point them out.

The nose dive in activity I refer to is nothing to do with the economy. In fact the reverse happened. Boards.ie was seen as the centre of excellent and expert knowledge on passive housing, when others didn't even know the concept existed, this started in 2008/2009. The result an explosion in discussion in this area in C+P in Boards.ie.

There is some very significant contributors now on other similar web sites who used to use Boards.ie. I suspect you know exactly the website I am talking about and the members too.
    sinnerboy wrote: »
    Well none of want to see that but I for one am at a loss owing to the generalized non specific nature of your allegation. Once again you are asked - please show an example to illustrate your point.

Maybe somebody could post some sort of statistics for the C+P section of boards.ie over the recent 24/30 months. This would take all the non-specific right out of the equation.

With all respect to our forums here but the Construct Ireland forums were once ablaze with discussion on PH and many other issues and gave these forums a serious "run for the money". Relaunched as Passive House+ this year that forum is dead in the water now. A product of Zero moderation in my opinion. A quick glance at the activity there is all the evidence required to rebut your allegation.

• Advertisement

sinnerboy wrote: »
    With all respect to our forums here but the Construct Ireland forums were once ablaze with discussion on PH and many other issues and gave these forums a serious "run for the money". Relaunched as Passive House+ this year that forum is dead in the water now. A product of Zero moderation in my opinion. A quick glance at the activity there is all the evidence required to rebut your allegation.

I also was a member of C I. it was never as busy or popular as C+P in Boards. I don't think that is a good rebuttal.

CI is not the other web site I am talking about.

Any chance of stats from the period of time suggested?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,608 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I also was a member of C I. it was never as busy or popular as C+P in Boards. I don't think that is a good rebuttal.

What change of policy do you think has occurred in the last 24/30 months??

Have you any examples of this purported change?

If anything moderation has become more lenient in that time.

If you are unable or unwilling to point to specific examples, then this whole thread is a waste of everyones time.

We have to differ so

We all have to guess which one you mean so. What fun for you!

You could always date search the forum yourself but I have saved you the trouble

Post count over the last few years is ( C+P parent forum only . Search the sub forums for yourself if you want )

2012 - 9,987
    2011- 11,024
    2010-11,478
    2009-13,138

Now from here

Commencement notice lodged for one off houses in Ireland

2012 - 3,070
    2011 - 3,433
    2010 - 5,527
    2009 -6,634

The number of one houses has more than halved .

Our forum is thriving under the circumstances.

So how about some examples of what you are alleging ?

Advertisement