Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going from a BSc General nursing to veterinary.

Options
  • 02-05-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,
    So I'm currently doing my general nursing degree in Trinity. I do love nursing and all that it brings, and I fully intend on finishing my degree, but I have wondered about doing veterinary afterwards. I would love to, because I'm a great lover of animals especially horses.
    My question to you all is, do u know how I would go about getting into veterinary afterwards if I decided I wanted to? Would I have to start from scratch and do 5 years? I'm thinking that because I have a degree it may be shorter. Does anyone know of anyone who took up veterinary After a degree? Any info would be appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There's a vet medicine graduate entry course in UCD. The basic requirement is a 2.2 in a degree - if that degree is in a relevant area (Biological/Biomedical/Animal Science) then it drops from a 5 year to a 4 year course. However fees are quite high (19,500 a year for the 4 year, 15,600 for the five year). Also I'm not sure whether your degree would apply (it seems like it might), but there's an email address and phone number on that page you can contact.

As far as I know that's the only Vet Medicine course. If Vet nursing was what you were considering, then there's a few options, but as far as I can tell none of them have graduate entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EzB

Veterinary is a huge change from human medicine, there is alot more to learn and the graduate entry is intense as the first 2 years are merged into one, however you don't qualify for the graduate entry, not even vet nurses qualify for it. I do veterinary and I love it but man its tough compared to my friends who are doing medicine. They have one species and thats pretty complex enough but then when you have to concentrate on cats dogs horses sheep pigs and cattle (this is just some) it can get overwhelming but if you really want to do it go for it. Its great fun but just know what your signing up for as it can get quiet expensive

Advertisement