Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europa League format discussion

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

I take it if the winners already qualify then it goes to the runners up?
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    and what if both finalists have already qualified for the CL?

Chelsea were outside the top 4 in England last year. They won the CL so took a CL spot instead of Spurs. If Bayern had won the game, they had already a CL spot from their domestic league, Chelsea would have not got a CL spot.

The same will apply to the EL. Only the EL winner can take a CL spot. If they've already qualified for the CL, no team takes that spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It does open the possibility of a shady result.

If Champions League qualification is worth the money they say (€10M min from UEFA, + increased ticket&merchandise sales, + increased sponsorship) and the final happens to be between an already qualified team and a not qualified team, perhaps even from the same country.....

Hopefully the final would be too deep in the competition for a team to be tempted to 'take a fall'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Confirmed by UEFA today.

EL winners to get into the qualifying rounds of the CL, starting in the 2015/2016 season, and even possibly straight into the group stages if the CL holders qualify by league placing in their domestic league. Plus max number of teams allowed into the CL goes from 4 to 5 from one country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

This will be big mainly for English and Italian teams.

Basically, great news for the likes of Liverpool, Spurs, Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina, Inter, Napoli.

These are big teams who are well capable of winning the Europa League but who may struggle to qualify to the Champions League due to amount of quality teams in their league.

With a top 4 looking difficult to penetrate in the EPL (3 in particular with big resources difficult to match) and only 3 teams getting in from Italy, these teams may well look at the Europa League as a great opportunity. Certainly this year Liverpool probably would have gone all out against Zenit - it would have been our biggest game of the season.

Spain and Germany arguably don't have the quality outside of the Champions League teams to make a realistic assault on this competition. The level of the teams outside the CL places and their expectations is not as high as England and Italy (obviously Atleti would have been an exception last year, but I would probably expect them to qualify for the CL through league position for the forseeable future).

Then you go outside the big 4 leagues - anyone capable of winning the Europa League (teams like Porto, Benfica, Shaktar etc..) will probably be qualifying for the CL on league merit. This is a big cup for these teams anyway. This changes little for them, other than making it more difficult to win as teams like Liverpool and Inter start to take it more seriously.

I understand the argument that it devalues the tournament (as it makes it for some teams a CL qualification tournament).

But it's a good move. We all knew it was a secondary tournament. Nobody is pretending now. I'm surprised UEFA made this move. It will actually make for a much more competitive competition.

As a Liverpool fan I'm delighted. It would have made this season much more interesting than it was. Even next season, qualifying for top 4 will be really hard, but now at least the goal of qualifying for the EL really means something. 5th place (or 6th, depending) suddenly becomes something you really want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It does open the possibility of a shady result.

If Champions League qualification is worth the money they say (€10M min from UEFA, + increased ticket&merchandise sales, + increased sponsorship) and the final happens to be between an already qualified team and a not qualified team, perhaps even from the same country.....

Hopefully the final would be too deep in the competition for a team to be tempted to 'take a fall'.

I'd have thought two teams from the same country would ensure a much more competitive final. Having another team in your league getting all that extra money from CL would be a bad thing and would lead to a very good reason to make sure that it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am SO sad that Liverpool are not in the EL next season now.

EDIT: Sorry, its from 2015 onwards.

I think it will do wonders for the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

noodler wrote: »
    I am SO sad that Liverpool are not in the EL next season now.

EDIT: Sorry, its from 2015 onwards.

I think it will do wonders for the competition.

It should give cup competitions across the water and around Europe a boost as well. If Liverpool were to win the League Cup next year for example, it'll have them in the Europa League 2014-15 where they'll sure be looking to win the competition more so than in the past.

The rule that if the CL winner has already qualified the EL winner will get an automatic CL spot is a fair idea. Spot reserved to CL champion, if already taken, EL champion will take the reserved place. At worst if the EL winner loses their CL play-off, they'll drop into the EL group stage to defend their EL title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The rule that if the CL winner has already qualified the EL winner will get an automatic CL spot is a fair idea. Spot reserved to CL champion, if already taken, EL champion will take the reserved place. At worst if the EL winner loses their CL play-off, they'll drop into the EL group stage to defend their EL title.

You mean to qualify for the Champions League via the Europa League again. Not sure defending the 'title' will matter much to them just the qualification it awards.

Advertisement