Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunter to show jumper.

Options
  • 02-05-2013 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,
    So I've a draught mare that I bought last October. I broke backed and have done some work with her. I've done a bit of flat work, Xc and three hunts with her. (she's rising 5 this summer).
    Anyhow, I'm usually a girl that breaks,backs,trains,hunts and then sells on the horse when I'm happy with them. However, Many years ago i used to do show jumping for the first few years when I started jumping, but haven't ever broken a horse and brought them on to show jump, just to hunt and hunter trial.
    I would like to do a bit of show jump this mare I have for the summer, and any advice/tips from anyone who regularly sj's young horses and brings them on in that line would be welcome. (I do realise I'll have to slow my Mare down a bit, get her going very well on the flat, and make her collect a bit more.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

My horse is the same age BUT I wouldnt have nearly as much experience as you seem to have .

I hope to jump on a Newcomers ticket this year in the first 3 height bands.... Am in no hurry, Mare will never be sold on.
    Also I think renting different venues just for schooling is a big help to expose them to alot early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kaytay

marley123 wrote: »
    My horse is the same age BUT I wouldnt have nearly as much experience as you seem to have .

I hope to jump on a Newcomers ticket this year in the first 3 height bands.... Am in no hurry, Mare will never be sold on.
    Also I think renting different venues just for schooling is a big help to expose them to alot early on.

Hey, thanks for your reply! Ahh I would have experience in breaking and hunting but have just show jumped normal horses that have done so before. Yeah I plan on getting her out to a few venues, what I plan to do is start her off with ground poles trotting poles etc then start to build it up grandually. Wondering if there's anything else I should be doing.

Caveletti are great for getting them to think! I also love using placing poles to help build confidence - also lots & lots of grid work.
    My Mare tends to pull & rush over a course - she thinks she is running at Leopardstown! :eek:
    So we have started inbetween flatwork, popping over a fence, back to flatwork, schooling around fences etc so she doesn't get worked up.
    Also my instructor is helping school her over fences as she is sharper than I would be to react if she acts up.

Silverfox here should be able to offer more advice. Horse is the same age & she is very experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kaytay

Caveletti are great for getting them to think! I also love using placing poles to help build confidence - also lots & lots of grid work.
    My Mare tends to pull & rush over a course - she thinks she is running at Leopardstown! :eek:
    So we have started inbetween flatwork, popping over a fence, back to flatwork, schooling around fences etc so she doesn't get worked up.
    Also my instructor is helping school her over fences as she is sharper than I would be to react if she acts up.

Yeah I've a feeling my lady may start to rush her fences a bit as she's used to jumping at a faster pace out hunting. I hope to get cracking with her after college exams in a weeks time! Thanks for your input, much apreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Kaytay wrote: »
    Yeah I've a feeling my lady may start to rush her fences a bit as she's used to jumping at a faster pace out hunting. I hope to get cracking with her after college exams in a weeks time! Thanks for your input, much apreciated :)

My mare is on her first season this year so flatwork is the key
    And setting up small fences no more than 80cm getting you both jumping them at a nice steady rhythm
    Nothing too high to affect her confidence
    Plenty of trotting and canter poles too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Ive broken horses to be sold on in both disciplines.... Ive even often had them showjumping on a friday and hunting on the sunday. Ive actually found hunting great for showjumpers as it gives them plenty of scope over a fence. (hunting fences are usually solid and unknockable).

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I do both too break to dressage, showjump, hunt etc! I get regular showjumping lessons and I find that helps hugely. So that would be my advice, get regular jumping lessons and from a good instructor too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

No newcomers as such for horses under SJI - You either register horse & yourself/rider fully, jump in whatever grade bands you wish or don't register but jump on a temporary ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

MDFM wrote: »
    No newcomers as such for horses under SJI - You either register horse & yourself/rider fully, jump in whatever grade bands you wish or don't register but jump on a temporary ticket.

Or she could jump in sportmans classes - if looking to start off lower than minimum SJI horse height band of 80cms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

if a horse has hunted 80cm should not be a problem. Maybe try a few of the unafilliated riding school shows first to give you and the horse a bit of practice. Where are you based?

Advertisement