Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeff Hanneman Has Died.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

sham69 wrote: »
    Great guitarist and craftsman of some fantastic songs and riffs.
    Never got to see him live unfortunately, will spend the day listening to the albums.
    RIP
    Same as.

Here's a link for those of you that cannot access your music.

http://www.mixcloud.com/sC4p3gO47/slayer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Shocked doesn't even come close to describing how I feel,Slayers music was one of my first introductions to proper heavy metal.

Gutted I didn't get to see him live.Junes show will be tinged with a lot of sadness for me and no doubt most that will be there.

Slayer \m/

Slayer \m/

Slayer \m/

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Only heard about this.

Genuinely in shock.

RIP!

\m/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I just heard, gutted :(

Have got Reign in Blood assaulting my ears right now and will probably spend the rest of the day listening to Slayer. I suggest we all do the same.

RIP Jeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

MGWR wrote: »
    I had heard some sort of flesh-eating bacteria was the culprit more than the spider bite.

Some spider bites such as from the brown recluse spider (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse_spider) can cause necrosis.

Nasty stuff.

I fear for Slayer now, I didn't book tickets for the upcoming gig due to Lombardo being dropped. Now essentially to me it's just half of Slayer.

RIP Jeff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

I think it was last year, (?) They were talking like he was much better and ready to record again..... but nothing came of it, and Kerry started saying he didn't talk to Jeff so much these days.

So we knew he wasn't well, he possibly wasn't coming back....but ....I'm at a loss for words really.

Between this and Lombardo leaving again, i kinda think Slayer should just stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Oh... :(
    Time to break out Show no Mercy and Hell Awaits.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Here Come The Pretzels

Only listened to Reign In Blood on my walk home from work yesterday.
    Shocked by the news last night.
    Reign In Peace Jeff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Dreadful news, had hoped to see the full line up again some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

RIP.

Not a big Slayer fan but man, talent is talent and he had buckets of it. I'm sure a lot of music I love has been heavily influenced by the guy. Sad loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I really want to give Slayer some play this morning, but my Lordi-induced hangover is preventing me from doing anything with loud noises. This afternoon, I'll sink back and go from Hell Awaits to Seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Wow. :(

From the outside this seems to have hit out of the blue. Whilst Kerry and Tom were often see as the faces of Slayer, I think it is fair to say that any shortlist of the best Slayer songs would be dominated by tracks written by Jeff.

Going to be a lot of people spinning Reign, South, and Seasons as a nod towards Jeff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

rip jeff and rip slayer id imagine... had huge influence on my youth and really defined what metal was in my eyes ..

rock on man

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It goes without saying, slayer were not vegetarian tee totalers for the last 30+ years and add in the medication and treatment over the last two years i'd say the poor guys liver took a hammering. Absolutely gutted. RIP.

As regards Slayer, i'd imagine Kerry King is a realist and bills need to be paid, Tom on the other hand may be a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

R.I.P, will have to route out reign in blood for a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

RIP Jeff a legend of metal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I heard the news late last night and was very shocked and upset.

I have sch great memories of Jeff, i first saw them in Manchester in '88, and the 3 of them (jeff, king & Tom) headbanging together at the front, i remember it like it was yesterday.

My fav time seeing them with Jeff was Donington 92 (below), a few weeks later i went out and bought a Kings jersey, similar to what Jeff wore that day, i've still got it, even though it's way too small for me now.

RIP Jeff, you will truly be missed

Time to crank up SLAYERRRRRRR

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Tonight at the Cattle Decapitation/Cryptopsy gig they said they are gonna have a playlist of Jeff songs between the bands.

This is a tragic loss though, I'd always hoped he'd get better and come back to play with Slayer again some day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I think that's Slayer over for me with Dave out too and that tw4t Kerry taking over. A terrible day. Still making kick ass records 30 years later, unlike some of the other "Big 4".
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

RIP Jeff. Listened to all of Reign In Blood on the way to work today. Have seen him play live nine times with the band over the years. Guess I'll never make ten now. I always thought he'd be back with the band at some stage. I was lucky enough to meet him briefly in 2000, when he signed my gig ticket. It's just even more special now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Was this all a result of a spider bite, or was he sick for while? Very young to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Genuinely shocked and saddened to hear that. It's amazing how the death of somebody you don't actullay know can have such an impact. But having been a fan of Slayer for over 25 years it's really a kick in the guts to hear this.

RIP Jeff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Oh **** :eek:

R.I.P. Jeff, and thanks for all the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

seachto7 wrote: »
    Was this all a result of a spider bite, or was he sick for while? Very young to go...

Seems to be the after effects of the bite?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

RIP Jeff. Legend. Signed a ticket for me once after a Slayer gig. Nice dude.

*puts on War at the Warfield DVD*

Also here's a nice pic of Jeff rockin a Les Paul back in the 80's :cool:
    lespaul7dr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Seems to be the after effects of the bite?

More the booze TBH I'd say.

More the booze TBH I'd say.

Don't even go there

Just seen this on FB, written by a guy called Kieth Platt, who's just a fan.

Read it, Nail on fcukin head is about right

The thing about heavy metal is.....
    It’s an extreme form of music. Not many people “get it” but those who do it LOVE it. You’ll often hear people say that they “love” music, heavy metal fans don’t just love it, they live it. They trek miles to see bands, cross oceans, fly around the world, it’s more than music it’s a brotherhood. Metal fans can end up being outcasts and ridiculed for their tastes, that just serves to bring the brotherhood closer together.

So in this extended family bands are the patriarchs, they are the ones responsible for bringing us all together. You grow up with them, you share the best of times and their music helps you through the worst of times. You laugh, you cry, you drink, you head bang, you follow their career and you hope to grow old together.

So when a member of a band dies it’s like losing a member of that extended family, like losing a part of your childhood because you grew up together and you were still friends. It feels strange to have such strong emotions and a sense of loss for someone you never knew and never met but you feel it all the same. It’s potent, it reminds of your own mortality. Things don’t feel like they’ll ever be the same. You recall the times you shared, the last time you saw them and you meet up with others who feel the same.

Today the brotherhood lost a family member. One of the good guys. 49 year old Slayer Guitarist Jeff Hanneman. He is survived by his wife Kathy a sister, two brothers and millions of us world wide who will never forget him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

^ This video is from the Combat Tour with Venom and Exodus I believe, what a lineup, at their savage best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

RIP, this man is a legend. Perhaps it's somehow appropriate that it seems to be his demons which took him from us in the end.

Advertisement