Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going 32 counties in 32 days and documenting it...I need some help

• 02-05-2013 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭

I had the mad idea to go to every county on the island and either play a gig, or busk on the street if there's no gig for me. I want to make a video series about it and document it with photos, but I've never used a proper camera before.

I've been researching this for quite a while. I figure I need an entry level dSLR with video capabilities, enough memory for a day at a time..probably a few spare batteries, a tripod and the other clutter. I think I need advice on this though.

I've been looking into using the camera, and I don't foresee much of a problem as long as I spend some time getting used to aperture, framerate and iso for a solid week or so before I head off. Any advice on things to try or challenges to set myself?

I also obviously havn't bought it yet, so if anybody feels like getting in contact about selling one, give me a pm.

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

aido179 wrote: »
    either play a gig, or busk on the street if there's no gig for me. I want to make a video series about it and document it with photos,

You don't need a camera, you need a photographer and a videographer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

aido179 wrote: »
    ... as long as I spend some time getting used to aperture, framerate and iso for a solid week or so...

Give it a fortnight just to be sure. :)

What might spark a bit more interest here in the forum is if you tried to arrange for a photographer from each county to take a shot of you playing.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

OldGoat wrote: »
    Give it a fortnight just to be sure. :)

What might spark a bit more interest here in the forum is if you tried to arrange for a photographer from each county to take a shot of you playing.

If you guys were interested, that would be an amazing idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd do Cork if it's in the next 26 days or so(and not on a day of any of my exams). I can do both video and photo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

It would be a really good idea. But remember to factor in the unreliability of internet posters. Make sure you have a back up plan in case your photographer doesn't show up on the day.

• Advertisement

amdgilmore wrote: »
    It would be a really good idea. But remember to factor in the unreliability of internet posters. Make sure you have a back up plan in case your photographer doesn't show up on the day.

That's why I wanted the camera... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

You should look into a camera that has good low light capabilities ( f2 or smaller) , as you will most probably be shooting in low light conditions.

Also, do you have a budget for camera and video, because getting a half decent camera,audio gear and tripod could be quite expensive and not worth your while if you only plan to use it as a once off? There are plenty of videographers that would jump at a project like this, provided expenses are covered with minimal pay.

Well my budget right now is nil. Audio equipment should be OK, I own a Yeti Blue, which is excellent, though not quite portable. It's definitely possible to use it with a laptop in most locations and when high quality audio is essential, and internal audio should be OK otherwise, for vox pops and what not.

My budget for the camera is basically coming from selling my IPad and my personal savings. I was considering setting up a small kickstarter to help get some better quality stuff but I'm not quite certain that is the best way to go about it. THanks for the reply.

On another not, I've put up a simple WP website to chronicle the whole thing. If anybody is interested, www.32counties.in

I've got a lot of feedback all over the place, set up a website and put up more details there.If you're interested, check out 32counties.in/32days .

I'm considering a kickstarter to sort out petrol costs and then possibly to produce a calendar, printed cds of my EP, or something else (suggestions?) to give to backers. Does it sound like it could work?

I'm still looking for people in plenty of places, and especially gigs...so let me know if you know someone, or a good venue!

edit: posted in the wrong thread...info is still relevant though!

Advertisement