Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrapping a car in sligo

Options
  • 03-05-2013 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

Have a 11 year old car with an engine fault that is uneconomical to repair.

What are the options in sligo for scrapping it.

It is a petrol Astra with a electronic problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Have you tried all available options to fix the electronics? There are some local independent guys who fix electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Kettleson wrote: »
    Have you tried all available options to fix the electronics? There are some local independent guys who fix electronics.

It needs the engine management computer. And this is a very expensive and sealed part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Try : (1) Take a few pics and put an honest ad. on DoneDeal with a realistic price. Whoever analysed the problem will know what it's worth.

(2) Dismantlers, phone them for a price. Tell them the ecu is gone and anything else dented/broken etc.
    You'll get no's in the Golden pages.

(3) Recyclers. There's 2 in Sligo, Carraroe and the Quays. They'll pay price per tonne rather than value per reusable part.

dingding wrote: »
    It needs the engine management computer. And this is a very expensive and sealed part.

I'm no mechanic and I don't know the realities or extent of your problem.

However I had an electronics problem and was dealing with authorised dealers, it way too expensive and had no other option but to scrap it.

At the last moment, got it sorted, computer sourced from east europe. 2 years later the car flew its NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not sure how you would go about it, but if you had the space, and the right research, you might be better selling of the parts your self, then scrap what's left. would make much more than selling the car compete to a breaker/scrap yard. The motors forum could tell you how to go about it or at least point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Brian.D

I got a car & some scrap metal collected by Erin Recyclers a couple of weeks ago & got €80 a tonne for it or if you drop the car down to them they will give €100 for it.
    Although I am sure there would be someone around the place that would buy it for parts as I have seen a few of them cars around the past while!! How much would you be looking for it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Them ECU units can be picked up at a fraction of the Irish price in England!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Them ECU units can be picked up at a fraction of the Irish price in England!

Thanks. I was able to get a reconditioned ECU from England for £200 and motoring again.

Many thanks all.

dingding wrote: »
    Thanks. I was able to get a reconditioned ECU from England for £200 and motoring again.

Many thanks all.

Nice work Dingding. Happy motoring.

Advertisement