Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DeFacto, Sponsorship to Residency

Options
  • 03-05-2013 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this as I'm getting mixed information.

My boyfriend is sponsored and myself and our son are defacto on the 457 visa. We are about to apply for residency and we don't think there will be any problems with it being approved.

I have been told that if it is approved, after 2 years immigration will come back to us to check that we are still together. Is this correct? I assumed once you were granted residency that was the end of it?

If anyone has any experience with this I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Open to correction, but I believe you can apply for residency in your own right after you have been de facto for a year. My friend was able to do that on her boyfriends PR.

That said, I believe she had to prove they were still together for the year in between, to qualify for her own PR.

Luckily they were still together so it was no problem. You don't sound too confident that you will be? Maybe worth finding out what is needed so you can compile evidence as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

Thanks Batgurl. Just wanted to know what the situation is as I hadn't heard this before and can't find anything clear online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Princess_N wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this as I'm getting mixed information.

My boyfriend is sponsored and myself and our son are defacto on the 457 visa. We are about to apply for residency and we don't think there will be any problems with it being approved.

I have been told that if it is approved, after 2 years immigration will come back to us to check that we are still together. Is this correct? I assumed once you were granted residency that was the end of it?

If anyone has any experience with this I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

I think you might be confused with de-facto Partner visa with a Citizen or PR, if you become a de-facto partner with the a citizen or PR they usually grant you a 820 or 309 Partner Temporary visa for 2 years before they would grant you full PR (like 100 or 801 visa)

Read about it here
    http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/partner/820-801/
    http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/partner/309-100/

If your BF is going be granted PR I assume 186 ENS visa and you are lodging together at the same time and its successful then you are all granted full PR at that time.

They wont be required to check in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

Thanks Mandrake you are spot on with the 186. I just confirmed it with immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Yep, can confirm what Mandrake's said. Myself and my OH went that route and there was never any mention of a follow up by immi and she was granted full pr when the 186 got approved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement