Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 7, Episode 11 - "The Crimson Horror"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Fact! I thought that too. We can but dream! :)

There's probably some fan-fic floating around of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

bradyle wrote: »
    I likd that! Not sure what my feelings are about the kids though!

Cybermen and kids ? Another Earthshock perhaps ? :D

Very unlikely.......

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

I enjoyed the episode - good, old-fashioned fun and some great touches like Thomas Thomas, the priapic screwdriver and the Tegan reference.

I was disappointed by how they addressed (or didn't address) new Clara, though. The reactions of Madame Vastra, Jenny and Strax were what I was most looking forward to from this episode and it was all a bit m'eh.

The end was a bit of a 'Noooo! Don't go there!' moment for me. Clara seeing the London Victorian photo will obviously have repercussions, but all I could think was, no, please don't drag a couple of kids into the mix. I have faith in Neil Gaiman's ability to pull a kiddie episode out of the bag, but really hope they won't become a permanent fixture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had another look at the episode, and I enjoyed it a little more the second time around; it's still a total mess, a mix of half-baked ideas or copouts, with a pretty weak resolution / third-act (nitpick: how did Strax get down from the top of the chimney to join his friends?).

I also found a lot of the musical cues to be utterly obtrusive - building up & then climaxing (uhm) at weird moments - and the problem of loudness seemed worse than normal. It's a shame because visually I think Moffat-Who has been consistently great to look at, often looking suitably atmospheric, if not cinematic & belying the reduced budgets

To be honest, like a lot of the weaker Who, it's carried by the sheer energy & vigour of the cast and their dialogue; I've said it before but when it wants to be, Dr. Who is one of the funniest / wittiest shows on TV. Also, props to Diana Rigg for taking a fairly paper-thin role and turning it up to 11. She rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

pixelburp wrote: »
    I also found a lot of the musical cues to be utterly obtrusive - building up & then climaxing (uhm) at weird moments - and the problem of loudness seemed worse than normal.

Agreed. It's unnecessarily loud at times, extremely irritating and detracts from rather than adds to the scene.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Also, props to Diana Rigg for taking a fairly paper-thin role and turning it up to 11. She rocks.

Yes, she does. Between this and Lady Olenna, it's great having her back on our screens. I only found out afterwards that the actress who played her daughter Ada in the episode is her daughter in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes, she does. Between this and Lady Olenna, it's great having her back on our screens. I only found out afterwards that the actress who played her daughter Ada in the episode is her daughter in real life.

Her first acting role too, which I found amazing.

I liked it, though maybe that was more a reaction to a disappointing Tardis episode. Overall, the Clara arc is stalling for me, to me it is taking away from the character development, I don't think her character has developed much at all.
    That is supposed to change a bit in the next episode, though my initial thought is they've left it a bit late. Read a 10/10 review about the next episode, then again the same reviewer gave the Journey the same, and I felt short changed. This one seems more promising though, a bit of a much needed reboot for the cybermen.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

K-9 wrote: »
    Her first acting role too, which I found amazing.

Not sure where you got that from. Shes been in loads of stuff.

I really enjoyed this episode. I'm becoming less and less enamored with playing "spot the clues for the series arc"* game and would happily watch good enjoyable self contained episodes every time.

*obviously the arc was referred to but meh. We've probably been watching the master disguised as the doctor for the whole series or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

BuffyBot wrote: »
    The ending did seem a little forced

I liked it up to the point of the kids and how they somehow find these old pictures and figure everything out. Nah, couldn't be photoshop - I would be able to tell by the pixels. Time travel is the only possibility.

Fingers crossed they are not real kids...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, yes - I'm hoping there is a little pay off to it. Otherwise it's just a bit lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mewso wrote: »
    Not sure where you got that from. Shes been in loads of stuff.

I really enjoyed this episode. I'm becoming less and less enamored with playing "spot the clues for the series arc"* game and would happily watch good enjoyable self contained episodes every time.

*obviously the arc was referred to but meh. We've probably been watching the master disguised as the doctor for the whole series or something.

Was reading a review and I thought they meant the daughter had no experience, took it up wrong no doubt! :o

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Was reading a review and I thought they meant the daughter had no experience, took it up wrong no doubt! :o

You might have been reading something entirely different :eek::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

"Trouble at Mill" I roared laughing, it was a good episode and nice to see the Dr get rescued and to see more of Madam Vastra and Jenny.

Advertisement