Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical courses.

Options
  • 03-05-2013 8:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

Just trying to find a bit on information. I'm looking to do a part time course, something that covers industrial electrics, mostly to do with heating systems etc. Mostly I'd like it to cover the inside of electric panels, relays, 3 phase, contactors etc.

Anybody know any good courses that covers these areas.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Porably best to serve your time as an electrician. It will take a minimum of 4 years full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

2011 wrote: »
    Porably best to serve your time as an electrician. It will take a minimum of 4 years full time.

Ok thanks, I know what you're thinking and its good practice the advice your given, but I already work around this stuff and am fairly familiar with it, but just want a piece of paper to show for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ok thanks, I know what you're thinking and its good practice the advice your given, but I already work around this stuff and am fairly familiar with it, but just want a piece of paper to show for it.

Fair enough. If you can provide a bit more information it would help.
    What sort of experience do you have?

Do you want to learn, how to design control panels, how to install control panels, or how to maintain them?

It sounds like you want to learn a bit about relay logic, interlocks etc. is that correct?

Fair enough. If you can provide a bit more information it would help.
    What sort of experience do you have?

Do you want to learn, how to design control panels, how to install control panels, or how to maintain them?

It sounds like you want to learn a bit about relay logic, interlocks etc. is that correct?

Basically just to learn more about contactors ,relays, just how they work, I know the principle behind it but understanding the more detailed stuff, like star delta, all I can really see is degree courses which is too much compared to what I'm looking for, reading schematics is another thing I would like to brush on, also what you said interlocks etc would be interesting.

Basically just to learn more about contactors ,relays, just how they work, I know the principle behind it but understanding the more detailed stuff, like star delta, all I can really see is degree courses which is too much compared to what I'm looking for, reading schematics is another thing I would like to brush on, also what you said interlocks etc would be interesting.
    I don't think that you will find a short course that will meet your requirements.

Am I correct in saying that you are looking for an appreciation of how the above (relays, contractors etc.) works rather than a detailed understanding?
    If that is the case you should be able to get all of your questions answered and definitions explained on this forum.

To be able to understand 3 phase theory you need start by understanding a bit about single phase and before that you need to learn about AC and DC (walk before you can run so to speak). Again there are helpful posters here that will assist. This will help you talk to and deal with and understand the technical language of professionals that design, install and maintain 3 phase control panels. Is that what you are looking for ?

• Advertisement

I don't think that you will find a short course that will meet your requirements.

Am I correct in saying that you are looking for an appreciation of how the above (relays, contractors etc.) works rather than a detailed understanding?
    If that is the case you should be able to get all of your questions answered and definitions explained on this forum.

To be able to understand 3 phase theory you need start by understanding a bit about single phase and before that you need to learn about AC and DC (walk before you can run so to speak). Again there are helpful posters here that will assist. This will help you talk to and deal with and understand the technical language of professionals that design, install and maintain 3 phase control panels. Is that what you are looking for ?

Ye that's basically it, maybe you're right, ill try source some info on the net maybe, thanks for your responses I appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I have a flyer for a course like that, I'll try and find it.

joeperry wrote: »
    I have a flyer for a course like that, I'll try and find it.

Brilliant thanks.

Found it, Electrical systems level one .Hands on 2 day course. Was on the middle of April so you missed that one I'm afraid. Was through engineers ireland. Pm me your email and I can send you a photo of the flyer.

Here you go.

• Advertisement

Here you go

joeperry wrote: »
    Here you go

That's exactly what I'm lookin for, it covers everything, thanks I see I missed it but sure there is another on.

That's exactly what I'm lookin for, it covers everything, thanks I see I missed it but sure there is another on.
    I assume that it is the 2nd course on the attachment that interests you?

Good to see that the courses are associated with Engineers Ireland.

Well done joeperry!

Advertisement