Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass seed lawn

• 03-05-2013 8:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I know this is basic ... But I have a lawn that I am just trying to improve the grass on few bare patches ... What I did was went along with the pitch fork making indentations and then threw grass seed on it ! No use ... Is there some sort of tool that you can get like in woodies that will break up the soil a bit ... I don't really want to start " turning " the soil as its poor quality topsoil just want to Sow grass seed to cover the patchy bit.. See photos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I find forking the ground throw up grass seed, cover with some sprinkle of peat and jump on top of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

For small patches like that, just scratch the surface up. You could use anything, a knife or a fork. You can get hand cultivators that look like a claw, they would be good. Dampen the surface, sow you seeds thickly, press it in. Then lightly water the spots with a fine spray/watering can morning and night until it germinates. Obviously if it rains you can skip the watering but they cant dry out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Its a small area and the grass looks miserable. Firstly scratch the bald patches with a rake and then try building up the humus layer to provide better growing conditions for the grass seed. Grass seed will struggle to germinate on hard crusty ground. To mak e ahumus layer, mix a small (25L) of topsoil with approx 2/3 of similar amount of compost (keeping the rest for later) and a handful of general lawn fertiliser (not weed'n'feed). Spread the mix by brushing (use back of rake or a strong yard brush) over all the grass area but especially covering the areas with bald patches well. Don't be worried about covering exisiting grass, you will be amazed how quickly new grass will find a way through. After spreading the mix, wet lightly and sow the grass seed, and finish by covering the seeded area lightly with a light layer of compost (1/3 of compost).

Spray area gently once more and wait....a few weeks, but water during dry spells.

Repeat above again in autumn and spring and you will ensure that despite what are probably poor ground conditions, a very respectable and lush lawn.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Its a small area and the grass looks miserable. Firstly scratch the bald patches with a rake and then try building up the humus layer to provide better growing conditions for the grass seed. Grass seed will struggle to germinate on hard crusty ground. To mak e ahumus layer, mix a small (25L) of topsoil with approx 2/3 of similar amount of compost (keeping the rest for later) and a handful of general lawn fertiliser (not weed'n'feed). Spread the mix by brushing (use back of rake or a strong yard brush) over all the grass area but especially covering the areas with bald patches well. Don't be worried about covering exisiting grass, you will be amazed how quickly new grass will find a way through. After spreading the mix, wet lightly and sow the grass seed, and finish by covering the seeded area lightly with a light layer of compost (1/3 of compost).

Spray area gently once more and wait....a few weeks, but water during dry spells.

Repeat above again in autumn and spring and you will ensure that despite what are probably poor ground conditions, a very respectable and lush lawn.

Good Luck.
    Thank you
    It's the scratching the top is probably what I'm just not doing correctly , seed not getting where it should ... Will try your advice Thks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

• Advertisement
Advertisement