Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any UCD scholarships for GPA ?

Options
  • 03-05-2013 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

If your not top of your class but have a GPA over 3.68 are there yearly scholar awards, or is that just for people who do well in particular subjects like Irish music etc ?
    (at that UCD annual student awards)

Would these scholarships be financial or simply a certificate of affirmation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

You need to come first in your degree for the UCD Undergraduate Scholarships for Outstanding Academic Achievement. No award for second place.

A few years ago a few friends got them and they got €1,000 along with the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

A list of all the scholarships is here: https://myucd.ucd.ie/scholarships-awards/index.ezc, but as IrishKnight said the main one is the €1000 if you get the top GPA in your course each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

ruburd wrote: »
    If your not top of your class but have a GPA over 3.68 are there yearly scholar awards, or is that just for people who do well in particular subjects like Irish music etc ?

Most courses in the science field have a prize for the top student (GPA wise). It's €1,000.

No prizes for coming second as far as i know. I doubt its the same for all courses tho as it seems a bit silly for some courses with only a handful of students.

Also some courses (such as mine) have another award for final year where everyone does interviews and all that lark and then somebody gets an award from a national society.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

ruburd wrote: »

Nothing of that ilk, I don't think, sorry.

If you get top of your school in 1st Year (I think it's school, there's 17 of them anyway), you'll get the Ad Astra scholarship http://www.ucd.ie/adastraacademy/academic/applications/

This comes with 1/2 price accomodation on campus (or a €1500 payment), half your fees (up to €4,000, but for most, it's half the registration fee), a €1,000 stipend for "academic" use, academic mentoring, and a lot of seminars and events.

That said, a first is still a fantastic GPA to have - you'll get into Masters and PhD programmes much easier with it, and it looks unreal on a CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Nothing of that ilk, I don't think, sorry.

If you get top of your school in 1st Year (I think it's school, there's 17 of them anyway), you'll get the Ad Astra scholarship http://www.ucd.ie/adastraacademy/academic/applications/

This comes with 1/2 price accomodation on campus (or a €1500 payment), half your fees (up to €4,000, but for most, it's half the registration fee), a €1,000 stipend for "academic" use, academic mentoring, and a lot of seminars and events.

That said, a first is still a fantastic GPA to have - you'll get into Masters and PhD programmes much easier with it, and it looks unreal on a CV.

Realistically, it doesn't mean much unless your getting a 1.1 in final year/as your overall degree grade

• Advertisement
Advertisement