Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Photography Lessons!

Options
  • 03-05-2013 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello photography people!

I am not a photographer but love taking photos and trying to get the right shot and all that lark. I have a fairly basic camera that I got about 6 years ago (Fuji Finepix s4500) and I have a Sony point and shoot style (can't remember the model and it's upstairs ... lazy or what!)

Anyway, I have a website about food and gardening and, while my photos aren't particularly bad ... they could be a million times better! It's only a hobbie thing so I don't want to spend a fortune on a new camera or anything, but I think there's a lot that I could be doing with what I have that I just don't know about. Someone mentioned changing the aperature the other day for my food pictures and (after googling what the hell this meant!!) the difference was really noticeable.

So I was wondering if anyone knows of maybe a day course in food photography or something to learn some tricks and how to set up shots (lighting and angles and all that shtuff). People practice for years to get the kinds of photos I'd like to do so I'm trying to be realistic, but a lot of people have said that once you learn a few tricks you can take great photos as an amateur. I live in Wexford so nothing too far up the country preferably!!

Thanks lads! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

University of Youtube is great, I find myself watching these videos even though I have no intention of ever photographing food.

I like photography, and I like food... :D

These vids are all on there, but easier to link direct to the site -

http://www.learnmyshot.com/index.php?mode=browse_cat&scatid=50

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ruth_wex

Boom!

Cheers Kenny! This is perfect ... and free! Happy Friday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Not a course - but I'd highly recommend this book : Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling by Helene Dujardin.

Covers the photography stuff and has lots of tips specifically on the food 'styling' side.

Advertisement