Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zig Zag route and highest Reeks peaks...!

Options
  • 03-05-2013 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi all!

Doing Carrauntoohil tomorrow with a few friends, some relativey experienced, some not so. So have a couple of questions if ye don't mind?!

The easiest route seems definitely to be zig zag and head across the plateau to the summit. Haven't been up in over a year and never took this route before so is it clear where the path veers left at the base to start the trek up this route?

Secondly, was thinking of doing the loop on the way down, bypassing the descent at The Devils Ladder (was pretty eroded last year) and at zig zag and keep walking along the eastern reeks towards Cnoc na Peiste, but descent before that. Now questions, is there an easy route to descend before Cnoc na Peiste? And also, are any of the peaks in the top ten higest in Ireland? I know all the top ten are in the Reeks but will any of the ones on this route be?

Just the lads wanna say "Yea....I did, like three of the highest peaks in like, one afternoon man!!!":D

Thanks people! Looks like the weather might hold off for a decent weekend!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Have you got a map? Generally the high points have a little number beside them, the spot height.... I always thought the 'three highest' were Carrauntoohil, Beenkeeragh and Caher in that order. But since they're all part of same piece of high ground, it's a kinda dubious proposition. Carrauntoohil, Brandon Mountain and Lugnaquilla would be my idea of the three highest peaks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The "summit baggers" over on MV have a very definite view on what constitutes a summit, maybe that's what the OP means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Yeah, I know and it's really not that relevant to above. But whenever I've made the climb to Caher or Beenkeeragh, the 'hard work' is done and it's easy enough to carry on around the circuit, so saying you've climbed the three highest peaks in Ireland always seemed a bit of a 'cheat'!! But sure it's neither here nor there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

BarryD wrote: »
    Yeah, I know and it's really not that relevant to above. But whenever I've made the climb to Caher or Beenkeeragh, the 'hard work' is done and it's easy enough to carry on around the circuit, so saying you've climbed the three highest peaks in Ireland always seemed a bit of a 'cheat'!! But sure it's neither here nor there.

Oh I totally agree! It most definitely is cheating, more on a technicality really!

Chattin to a few lads out in Killarney this mornin. Gonna head up The Bone, across the the reeks towards Carauntoohil and descend down the zig zags, I think. Might try head over towards Caher as well if the energy levels are right and the day is clear. Probably give ourselves minimum 7 hours. All quite fit.

Alun wrote: »
    The "summit baggers" over on MV have a very definite view on what constitutes a summit, maybe that's what the OP means?

Yup, total summit baggers. Still though, better than sittin in the pub!!!

• Advertisement

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Oh I totally agree! It most definitely is cheating, more on a technicality really!

Chattin to a few lads out in Killarney this mornin. Gonna head up The Bone, across the the reeks towards Carauntoohil and descend down the zig zags, I think. Might try head over towards Caher as well if the energy levels are right and the day is clear. Probably give ourselves minimum 7 hours. All quite fit.

Yeah, far better to go up the Bone and down the Zig Zags, as if a mist rolls in trying to stay on the Bone just as one comes off Knocknapeasta, and not wander off slightly either way and end up in a very tricky spot over the cooms on each side, can be daunting. I've had some uh oh moments there in white outs and I've been up and down the Bone a fair few times.

If you make it out to Caher West Top you'll have bagged the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 12th and 23rd highest peaks in the country...and yes I am a summit bagger on MV, though strictly limited to Kerry and West Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The last time I did the Zig Zags, the path wasn't obvious at the base, but was obvious from about 50 metres up - that's probably changed now, but I'd still recommend locating it on the map beforehand and know where you're going.

hmmm wrote: »
    The last time I did the Zig Zags, the path wasn't obvious at the base, but was obvious from about 50 metres up - that's probably changed now, but I'd still recommend locating it on the map beforehand and know where you're going.

Nice one, decided on heading up The Bones to start and come down the Zig Zags. Bit of a dodgy shoulder so want as easy an ascent as possible and it seems the better option. Longer, but not as much of an incline.

Roll on the mornin.

Well lads,

Nice one for the advice last weekend. Went up The Bone, nice gradual climb, got to the top and the views down The Black Valley were spectacular, looked like Narnia! Headed over the ridge, total white out, but kept on the path which was clearly defined and past The Zig Zag, very boggy up there, and straight up to Carrauntoohil. Three top ten summits bagged so a good day!

Headed down The Devil's Ladder. It's seriously eroded, even much more since last year, dangerous in a few places. Not deathly dangerous, more so a danger of slipping on yer ass and havin a sore hole for a few days!

Anyways, thanks again for the advice! Roll on next time!

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Well lads,

Nice one for the advice last weekend. Went up The Bone, nice gradual climb, got to the top and the views down The Black Valley were spectacular, looked like Narnia! Headed over the ridge, total white out, but kept on the path which was clearly defined and past The Zig Zag, very boggy up there, and straight up to Carrauntoohil. Three top ten summits bagged so a good day!

Think they should put some sleepers between top of the ladder and Cnoc na Toinne, it's getting terribly boggy up there. Know there would be a reluctance to put something down, understandably, but it's just getting churned up as numbers increase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement