Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expected cost for a small bit of text

Options
  • 03-05-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I'm looking to get a tattoo of my second childs name on the back of my left shoulder. It would only be 4 letters and not huge writing. What's the average rate for this these days ?

I have my first childs name done on the right shoulder - it was done 7 years ago somewhere in Temple Bar and although very happy with it (guy put on a littlle star at the end of her name which I was impressed with) I remember thinking it was relatively expensive for a very quick job. The tattoo itself only took a couple of minutes. Can't remember tbh how much it was. (They may have had a minimum charge :confused:) I know that you can't waltz in and say hey you charge €100 per hour but this will only take 2 min so here's a tenner and that's being generous :D - there's equipment used, cleaning and prep etc to be done but what would be the expected and fair rate for something like this currently ?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Most places charge based on the time it takes and not the amount of work that goes into the tattoo, and there is usually a minimum charge which varies from shop to shop. I can't really say what it'll cost you, that depends on the shop really. It's possible that you could work something out with a shop, but again that depends on the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Depending on the studio, minimum charges vary from 60-100 euro. Might be worth giving a few a call or email to see how much they'll do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

60-100 is ridiculous if the tattoo takes ten minutes
    Lad that does mine would charge about 30 quid but it handy when you know someone but even if you didn't he'd still charge the same

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

60-100 is ridiculous if the tattoo takes ten minutes
    Lad that does mine would charge about 30 quid but it handy when you know someone but even if you didn't he'd still charge the same

Set up charge and all new needles etc is why there is a minimum charge.
    Your as well getting something that will fill the whole hour as something that'll take 10 mins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

That's the things lads - I understand the need for a minimum charge to cover off the setup and equipment used and have no issues paying for it. But all I want is the bit of text to mark the birth of my son which will take 5 min at most - probably quicker and I've no need for anything else. I'd feel a bit hard done by if the cost would be the same as someone getting something more complicated done that took a full hour. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

That's the things lads - I understand the need for a minimum charge to cover off the setup and equipment used and have no issues paying for it. But all I want is the bit of text to mark the birth of my son which will take 5 min at most - probably quicker and I've no need for anything else. I'd feel a bit hard done by if the cost would be the same as someone getting something more complicated done that took a full hour. :)

Your paying for the artists skill, knowledge and time along with supplies and set up time. You may say sure it will only take five minutes but you still want it done right, to look well and be done by a professional ;).

niallam wrote: »
    Set up charge and all new needles etc is why there is a minimum charge.
    Your as well getting something that will fill the whole hour as something that'll take 10 mins :)

No offence but i Dont see your point.
    I can understand all that taking into account but its no need for it to cost 60-100 an hour if a tattoo takes ten minutes

Your paying for the artists skill, knowledge and time along with supplies and set up time. You may say sure it will only take five minutes but you still want it done right, to look well and be done by a professional ;).

No arguments here - As I said already I fully understand and expect the cost to reflect a lot more than the actual couple of minutes the tatoo will take.

I'm just trying to gauge the going rate as such. As a seperate thing I'd feel that if the going rate is the same for the 2 min tattoo of text and for 50 minutes of artwork (assuming base costs, setup and clean etc are same) that the person (me ! :)) getting the 2 min job is being a bit hard done by.

I can understand all that taking into account but its no need for it to cost 60-100 an hour if a tattoo takes ten minutes

No matter how long a tattoo takes to do it needs fresh needles, ink etc for each different customer. That's why most places have a minimum charge tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

No arguments here - As I said already I fully understand and expect the cost to reflect a lot more than the actual couple of minutes the tatoo will take.

I'm just trying to gauge the going rate as such. As a seperate thing I'd feel that if the going rate is the same for the 2 min tattoo of text and for 50 minutes of artwork (assuming base costs, setup and clean etc are same) that the person (me ! :)) getting the 2 min job is being a bit hard done by.

I do get what your saying but thats life for example its the same way nearly all electricians have a minimum call out charge they could be there for half an hour or two minutes they have a minimum charge, same as plumbers, GP's etc. If you want a professional to do it you pay the price really. On average in Dublin minimum charge is 60 to 80 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

Two minutes isn't going to cost the same as an hour. If the minimum is 60 and the hourly rate is 100, you're getting it cheaper. It's more like the person who only takes up 10 minutes of the artist's time pays the same as the person who takes up 30 minutes. What's 20 minutes anyway? It's pretty meaningless. You pay for the machines and the setup and the piece of mind that your work is performed to the highest standard possible. Consider that 50 quid straight off the bat. The extra tenner that brings it up to the minimum is the actual time taken.

All a matter of perspective!

So to answer the OP, the minimum minimum (no pun intended) is about 60 an hour, but if you asked really nicely someone might throw a few quid off, but certainly don't walk in expecting anything. It's their job and they can charge what they want. 60 is a very competitive minimum price at the moment.

I actually think €60 is quite reasonable tbh. The first one done was well over €100 as far as I can remember. It was the 7 years ago and the belt wasn't as tight back then either :p

P_1 wrote: »
    No matter how long a tattoo takes to do it needs fresh needles, ink etc for each different customer. That's why most places have a minimum charge tbh

Your still not gettin my point
    As I said I understand minimum charge but why is minimum charge so expensive 60-100 minimum charge is way too Much

As I said I understand minimum charge but why is minimum charge so expensive 60-100 minimum charge is way too Much

Its the price that the market established tbh, same reason why a pint of milk will cost the same (more or less) wherever you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

OP, if you want to get your moneys worth get your first Tattoo touched up while your there, normally they need a going over after that amount of time. It shouldnt cost extra. you'll get it for the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Try to consider everything that will be done during the tattoo process:
    The tattooist will need to draw up the stencil/template for the tattoo to your specification.
    They will need to set up their station and the equipment, needles, inks etc...
    They will do the tattoo.
    They need to clean down the station.
    They need to sanitarily dispose of needles and bloody tissue waste materials.
    They need to sterilise the equipment.

All the above has to be carried out by the tattooist regardless of how long it takes.
    And like anything else, the more you're getting, the more the price drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

empacher wrote: »
    OP, if you want to get your moneys worth get your first Tattoo touched up while your there, normally they need a going over after that amount of time. It shouldnt cost extra. you'll get it for the same price

Was going to suggest that too, but you beat me to it! :P

Would add a bit of extra value for money and take the sting out of it a wee bit (lot of puns going on here today)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I'd feel a bit hard done by if the cost would be the same as someone getting something more complicated done that took a full hour. :)

if it weren't for the minimum charge, you would be hard-pressed to find anyone decent to tattoo a little bit of text - I would not be worth their while to give up time that could be spent with clients getting bigger tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

From start to finish your 10 minute tattoo is taking an hour of the artists time from drawing to setup to tattooing and finishing up and cleaning everything down again. Ink, needles, paper towels, cling film and probably looking at overheads of €10 per hour based on a 40 hour week
    It's not just a case of walking in with it drawn on yourself already and them stopping tattooing someone else and putting you in the same seat with the same needle. Maybe what you'd get for 30 quid but not in any reputable studio.

OP, how much did you spend on your last haircut?

• Advertisement

OP, how much did you spend on your last haircut?

My last paid haircut was about 7 years ago but I see where you're going ;)

To be fair to myself though I only asked a question about the going rate as I'm trying to get a budget / funds together. The discussion thereafter wasn't really my intention to start. :)

My last paid haircut was about 7 years ago but I see where you're going ;)

To be fair to myself though I only asked a question about the going rate as I'm trying to get a budget / funds together. The discussion thereafter wasn't really my intention to start. :)

I don't mean to jump on you. I just don't understand what kind of money people think tattoo artists make. The reality is that the minimum charge is as it is because that is what it costs to provide the service. A tattoo parlor does not have a revolving door of custom, and even a small tattoo is easily an hour of the day most of the time.

If say two letter were to cost 20 quid, the artist gets 10 for half an hour, less disposables. You'd never get a tattoo artist to see you for a small piece, as it would be in their interest to keep the chair free for larger pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Tattoo shop in Phibsborough charges €50 an hour , minimum charge of €40.

Best value for money, honestly?

Blow 120 euro. Visit (not just online) at least two parlours and look at portfolios. Where ever you liked best, make an appointment, get something drawn custom. Listen to artist's suggestions. Consider shading/design work to accompany lettering, don't pick the first font you see.

Easily the best value in tattooing. Especially in terms of artist work to cost ratio :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Karen23 wrote: »
    Tattoo shop in Phibsborough charges €50 an hour , minimum charge of €40.

Pinz n Needles?

Strongly recommend against going there.

I got tattooed in their other branch on Talbot Street (which appears to have shut down after only around 6 months). Looked great fresh, is now (4 and a half months on) extremely faded and in need of a serious touch up. Even when I was in there, the two artists I was talking to (Deb and I can't remember the other bloke's name) were slating the branch in Phibsboro.

Considering it was a second branch which was supposedly even better, based on my experience there I would never recommend it. I'm going to have to pay to get mine touched up somewhere else, if I can find an artist willing to work on somebody else's work.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Pinz n Needles?

Strongly recommend against going there.

I got tattooed in their other branch on Talbot Street (which appears to have shut down after only around 6 months). Looked great fresh, is now (4 and a half months on) extremely faded and in need of a serious touch up. Even when I was in there, the two artists I was talking to (Deb and I can't remember the other bloke's name) were slating the branch in Phibsboro.

Considering it was a second branch which was supposedly even better, based on my experience there I would never recommend it. I'm going to have to pay to get mine touched up somewhere else, if I can find an artist willing to work on somebody else's work.

I can't comment on the Talbot St. shop because I've never been but I know a lot people who've been tattooed in the Phibsborough shop and been very pleased with the results and have gone back for second and third tattoos. Maybe the artists in the Phibsborough shop are more professional.

I can't comment on the Talbot St. shop because I've never been but I know a lot people who've been tattooed in the Phibsborough shop and been very pleased with the results and have gone back for second and third tattoos. Maybe the artists in the Phibsborough shop are more professional.

From what comes out of their Facebook page, they don't seem hugely professional. They openly admitted to me (when I asked) that for some piercings, they use a gun.

From what comes out of their Facebook page, they don't seem hugely professional. They openly admitted to me (when I asked) that for some piercings, they use a gun.

Again , I can't comment on piercings as I only have my ears done but would some piercings not be done with a gun ?

They seem to have a new piercer from looking at their facebook page who seems very qualified and I haven't seen any complaints.

Again , I can't comment on piercings as I only have my ears done but would some piercings not be done with a gun ?

They seem to have a new piercer from looking at their facebook page who seems very qualified and I haven't seen any complaints.

No, no piercings should be done with a gun.

Yeah, Charlie seems decent from what I've seen, but no experience with him so can't comment. Pics of the piercings he's done seem okay, though.

• Advertisement

No, no piercings should be done with a gun.

Yeah, Charlie seems decent from what I've seen, but no experience with him so can't comment. Pics of the piercings he's done seem okay, though.

:eek: Strange , for absolutely no reason I presumed Charlie was a girl

Advertisement