Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expected cost for a small bit of text

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

Karen23 wrote: »
    Again , I can't comment on piercings as I only have my ears done but would some piercings not be done with a gun ?

They seem to have a new piercer from looking at their facebook page who seems very qualified and I haven't seen any complaints.

Will second what Esoteric_ said. No piercings should be done with a gun. Even lobe piercings are borderline with a gun, and there's simply no need to.

I don't care about the quality of his work, but if they use guns in that shop for anything then it's a serious red flag about the level of knowledge people in that studio have. Even a tattoo artist should know that piercing guns are bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't even have a single piercing and I know guns are bad. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Even lobe piercings are borderline with a gun, and there's simply no need to..

I've never seen ear lobe piercings done with anything other than a gun :confused:

I've never seen ear lobe piercings done with anything other than a gun :confused:

Where have you been going that you've only seen them done with guns?

Guns can destroy the tissue in the body part being pierced. Mine were pierced with a gun (back when I was a kid, that was the norm) and they've got so much scar tissue that three places have turned me away since I hit adulthood, saying that they couldn't re-pierce them. I'm sure I'll find a studio that will, but yeah, guns are bad.

Then you've not been in professional studios.

Piercing guns can't be sterilised properly, and they work by shoving a blunt object through your ear at force, which creates extra trauma. Moreover, placement is limited by the physical shape of the gun, so you can't hit the ideal spots on lobes.

Needles are single-use, come sterile and are discarded. They pierce causing the least amount of trauma and can be manoeuvred any way the piercer or piercee likes.

The difference? One can be operated by an assistant at Claire's, whereas one takes a proper apprenticeship to wield. It comes down to cost and education, ultimately. Any establishment that uses guns is not a professional piercing studio.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Also, from what I remember the guns are considerably less sanitary than needles, which have been the norm for where I've gone.

edit: yup, Rho got it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Nine Lives in Bray has a €40 minimum charge. I got a simba tattoo in colour a few months ago and it cost me €45 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I have 4 in each ear , all done with guns. My daughter had hers done in a salon with a gun and I've regularly seen girls in Claire's getting them done with a gun so I'd never have thought they were bad.

Obviously I'd have known most other piercings can't be done this way but ear lobes I'd have presumed were fine.

Claire's is not a good place to go for piercings.

Any salon doing them with guns isn't a very professional salon.

It's like getting a piercing done in George's Street Arcade. Sure you'll get it done, but you're going to a bad place to get it done, and leave yourself open for loads of problems.

I have 4 in each ear , all done with guns. My daughter had hers done in a salon with a gun and I've regularly seen girls in Claire's getting them done with a gun so I'd never have thought they were bad.

Obviously I'd have known most other piercings can't be done this way but ear lobes I'd have presumed were fine.

They're borderline, to be completely honest. They have a much higher risk of screwing up. Not high enough that they're illegal, but a lot of places are starting to ban them now (several states in the US, for example).

You're not guaranteed a bad piercing, but it won't be as good as a needle, and high-end studios just won't want to pierce you using inferior techniques.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Claire's is not a good place to go for piercings.

Any salon doing them with guns isn't a very professional salon.

It's like getting a piercing done in George's Street Arcade. Sure you'll get it done, but you're going to a bad place to get it done, and leave yourself open for loads of problems.
    Shh, we do not speak of that place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I find needles are much better to pierce with than guns (having been pierced with both).

There's much more pain thanks to the force of the impact from the gun, remember good old F=MA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Once you switch from guns in jewelers to needles in good studios you realise how bad guns are!

Whenever I got pierced with a gun it would be sore and tender for hours after, because of the blunt force. Needle only pinches for that few seconds it goes through.

All of my gun piercings have gotten infected or irritated. I put this down a little to the bad piercing method but more than likely its down to the cheap, unsuitable jewellery they use and the terrible aftercare recommendations. They always sold me some harsh chemical solution to clean it with that did more bad than good. Now I won't let anything but a mild sea salt solution near a piercing.

Another thing to remember is the training people get for guns. My friend worked in Claire's. Was shown how the gun was worked, used it on a co-worker under supervision and was then let off to pierce any age of person that came into the shop. Makes me vomit when I see the sign in the window saying "The Piercing Experts"

All of my ear piercings (had my lobes done 5 times and the cartilage done twice) were done with guns when I was young and all of them also got infected. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

I had my 6 lobe piercings done as a kid with a gun and they still get red/sore if I have earrings in for more than a day. I don’t have any space for more piercings there either as they spaced them so far apart.

Also had 2 cartilage piercings done and redone with a gun when I was younger and it got infected every time. In contrast, I had a daith piercing done with a needle a few years ago and have never had any bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

TheBellJar wrote: »
    I had my 6 lobe piercings done as a kid with a gun and they still get red/sore if I have earrings in for more than a day. I don’t have any space for more piercings there either as they spaced them so far apart.

Also had 2 cartilage piercings done and redone with a gun when I was younger and it got infected every time. In contrast, I had a daith piercing done with a needle a few years ago and have never had any bother with it.

Mine too! They get kinda gunky. Although I put that down to the fact that I wear cheap earrings.

I'd rather have my hundred pair of cheap ones than a few nice pairs of good quality though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Mine too! They get kinda gunky. Although I put that down to the fact that I wear cheap earrings.

I'd rather have my hundred pair of cheap ones than a few nice pairs of good quality though :pac:

These were well worth the sacrifice :cool:

c12d60e8864a11e19e4a123.jpg

Advertisement