Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment alarm system?

Options
  • 03-05-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭

Hi

Any suggestions for type of system or a provider? We rent an apartment currently and don't have a phone line, though the apartment is pre-wired for an alarm.

Mgt company won't let you fit external box so alarm would only ring out within apartment. Would like not to pay much so eircom phonewatch probably not a runner, plus don't want to pay for phone line.

But perhaps we could get a system that could text us when it goes off? So that plus internal ringing would be enough?

Any advice? I'd say if approached the landlord will be willing to split the cost.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For wireless in an apartment either of these would be good.
    Also for a cheaper monitoring option it might be worth the wait for the GSD i70.
    This system allows you connect for free over IP & get free push notifications to your smart phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

KoolKid wrote: »
    For wireless in an apartment either of these would be good.
    Also for a cheaper monitoring option it might be worth the wait for the GSD i70.
    This system allows you connect for free over IP & get free push notifications to your smart phone.

when you say wireless what do you mean? I'd like a system that doesn't require an eircom phone line but i don't mind a system wired in the apartment as it is pre-wired (as in at every open window there are wires sticking out to install a sensor or something).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For wired then look at these panels.
    They don't need a phone line if you don't want one.
    You can also have self monitoring over GSM.

Something like this perhaps - HKC Secure wave (SW1070)control panel, with GSM dialler:

http://www.gard.ie/apartment.htm

and dialler:

http://www.gard.ie/House-Alarm-Products.htm

seems it guards itself against GSM blockers?

Thats the system I linked to above. No GSM dialler is immune to GSM jammers /blockers. If anyone is making claims like that thread carefully.
    What I would always advise the following...
    Get at least 3 quotes & ensure your comparing like with like.
    Insist on a visual survey of the property prior to agreeing anything. That eliminates any surprise extras later on.
    Make sure all points of entry are covered. And make sure you have at least 1 PiR internally.
    If you are not allowed an external bell make sure you get a proper internal SAB & not just a basic internal. This is improtant as a bog standard internal could be disabled very quickely with a system power down
    If you are having monitoring or maintenance contracts make sure you check whats covered. Some company's limit calls here when in fact all should be covered if its an annual contract.

• Advertisement

Thanks for advice so far. We have UPC wireless broadband am I right in saying we could get a system that uses that to contact me on my phone?

Any voice dialler will work with a UPC line.
    You could also use the new GSD i70 with an app for push notifications to you phone.

Advertisement