Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord issues

Options
  • 03-05-2013 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Just wondering what people think of our current problem. We are renting an apartment where the entire block is owned by the landlord. 8 apartments in it but just 4 lived in. The landlord does no external or internal maintenance so the place is shabby and messy but our apt is nice inside so we try and overlook the general mess. Sometimes I clean outside, gather rubbish etc cos it's horrible passing it by all the time. The building is in a bit of a mess. Anyway, the car park is on ground floor level building is on stilts so parking places are half inside and half outside with main door to Apts beside cars. What has happened is a sewer has burst a few times in the car park, flooding the car park and basically human waste is everywhere, around the cars etc- disgusting. The first time got onto landlord ASAP and he was fairly nonchalant saying he'd ring the council, that it's there sewer and it happened before. Ok, they came and cleaned it, grand. But now it's happened a few times, I ring the landlord if I see the sewer lid lifting hoping he will do something before it floods but this latest time we rang Sunday- he did nothing, rang wednesday, then Thursday morning place flooded, sh*t everywhere, around our car!!! Rang him thurs morning, no answer so texted him. Heard nothing back, got home last night, partially cleared up but loads of liquid around the door, have to walk through it to get in door. Rang him, gave out, got upset, he says he'll fix it Saturday. We're just goin to have to move out. The landlord seems to think there's no problem and thinks I'm making a big fuss??? Has this happened anyone else with sewage flooding and the landlord not giving a sh*t?! Had to rant!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Move out. Nothing is worth wading around human waste to get into and out of your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/disputes_between_landlords_and_tenants.html
    However, if your landlord refuses to pay for essential repairs or to reimburse you for repairs, you can contact Threshold for advice. They may advise you to take your case to the PRTB. If there are serious problems that could affect the health or safety of tenants, such as vermin, problems with water, sewage or electrical or structural problems, you can contact the Environmental Health Officer at your local authority.

Well I'd move out this LL is never going to be a good LL. I'd also do the above contact the Environmental Health Officer at your local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like somewhere is blocked. Not really your problem, but maybe ring the county council direct and ask why is this an ongoing issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kittywake

Ya it's laughable how bad he is. Excuses for everything, he thinks the place is a palace!
    I'll def look into contacting the Environmental crowd because it seems like its an ongoing problem that he has never dealt with properly.
    I feel sorry for future tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kittywake

the_syco wrote: »
    Sounds like somewhere is blocked. Not really your problem, but maybe ring the county council direct and ask why is this an ongoing issue?

Ya we rang the council ourselves yesterday and logged a complaint. They know of the problem but I can't understand why they won't sort it. Surely its not right that human waste is frequently gushing out of a sewer in a residential area.
    The landlord thinks im a whingebag, So
    frustrating....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kittywake wrote: »
    They know of the problem but I can't understand why they won't sort it.
    Contact the local newspaper and/or TD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Kittywake wrote: »
    Ya we rang the council ourselves yesterday and logged a complaint. They know of the problem but I can't understand why they won't sort it. Surely its not right that human waste is frequently gushing out of a sewer in a residential area.
    The landlord thinks im a whingebag, So
    frustrating....

Most likely the car park is private property so the council are not only not responsible but not able to come on to the site to do the repairs.

Best of luck, it sounds like a terrible situation.

Advertisement