Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abusive Phone Call After Bad Trip Advisor Review

Options
  • 03-05-2013 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi there,
    A friend of mine had an abusive phone call after leaving a bad review. The review was not harsh it was an honest reflection on a B&B down the country. It has since been removed after she sent a request to the site.
    However the owner of the B&B rang her, obviously tracked her down by the name of the reviewer and the guest book in the B&B. He said that his wife was now suicidal after the review and she had ruined his business. Make all sorts of accusation about how she would not be happy even if she stayed at the Ritz and how he had been talking to friends of hers who had described her as dangerous.
    Has anyone had any experience of this kind of thing happening or how should it be reported?
    Has been reported to the website but should it be reported to the Gardai as well.

The B&B is beside a well known castle where weddings are held so she was thinking of contacting the castle to explain what happened and request they are taken off the B&B list given out for wedding bookings.

Not looking for legal advice just wanting to know if anyone has ever experienced this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

That's mad. I use Tripadvisor all the time, and have never came across that.

Get your friend to write another bad review explaining the phonecall. Write an email to Tripadvisor too, explaining the phone conversation, they're usually really good at sorting out queries.
    Your friend has a right to give her opinion of the hotel, and the hotel is in the business, so should learn from it's mistakes. The management also have the ability to make amends with bad reviews publicly on Tripadvisor, to clear their name as such. But they obviously didn't choose this more dignified route.

I can't understand how the review was removed though, that's strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This has never happen me but I would not remove the review if it was honest. Put back up and let them reply via the review - as they should have done I the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

An abusive phonecall is always a good way to resolve matters.

Personally I woudln't have requested the review to be removed once is was fair.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its very rare Tripadvisor will remove comments and its generally only if it violates the guidelines / dodgy / the owner can prove the person never stayed.

I'd follow this up with Tripadvisor and see what they have to say about it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Sully wrote: »
    Its very rare Tripadvisor will remove comments and its generally only if it violates the guidelines / dodgy / the owner can prove the person never stayed.

I'd follow this up with Tripadvisor and see what they have to say about it alright.

Tripadvisor removed it because the person that wrote it asked them to remove it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

what was wrong with the hotel?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Soundman wrote: »
    Tripadvisor removed it because the person that wrote it asked them to remove it though.

Oh sorry, I read it wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

which hotel is it what was her complaint

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It was a b&b, the OP mentioned such several times in their post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i always look up trip advisor to make a decision on where i am going to stay,
    but i find that if it is little nitty gritties i take no heed,
    what i look out for is having ensuite, if the place is comfortably warm, i dont care how old the decor, once i have a comfortable room,
    could not care less if it has wifi, tv, tea tray, safe, shampoo or bath soap and such likes,
    i do hope to have comfortable bed, decent bath and hand towels in bathroom and that extra blanket folded somewhere incase i need it along with a pillow extra in press incase i need it,

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    i always look up trip advisor to make a decision on where i am going to stay,
    but i find that if it is little nitty gritties i take no heed,
    what i look out for is having ensuite, if the place is comfortably warm, i dont care how old the decor, once i have a comfortable room,......
    Relevance???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Leave tripadvisor out of it for now, don't bother posting another bad review. (yet...)

I've been in the B&B business a while, we've had one or two bad reviews but never in a million years would we react by phoning the person who left the review. About 5/6 years ago an American couple left a review riddled with lies after they had a falling out with my parents (they were overheard referring to my brother who has special needs as "that loud retarded fool" by my mother who understandably didn't take too kindly to that comment). Tripadvisor refuse to remove it- a bad review we can accept, but lies we can't accept!

Ok, sorry for going off topic. Back on topic; Leave tripadvisor out of it for now, I'd suggest that you e-mail (don't ring, better to have this all in writing) the B&B and tell them that if they don't apologise for their behaviour that you will take this further. By taking it further, I'd repost the original review (in a nice calm matter of fact manner), and more importantly I'd tell them that I am referring the matter to Failte Ireland, (or any such organisation the B&B is affiliated with.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I had an extremely bad experience with the frontline staff at one of the hotels IN heathrow airport - ( not the Hilton, the other one). I complained in the hotel & was told to F off. I write a complaint on their comment form & put in in their box & followed up later - turned out the reception staff or someone had ( surprise surprise) fished it out & it never was processed. long story short the hotel room was fab but the staff, food, service & wake up service a disaster. So I put a review to the effect on TripAdvisor. Next thing got email and then call from the manager -long distance - asking me to remove it. Suffice to say I didn't . This was followed by grovelling letter asking me to remove it with a voucher for a nights free accommodation. Being the adult that I am I posted the voucher back in two halves with an appropriate note & refused to take my review down. The pleasure of the honest & bad review has Long remained a guilty pleasure. Even if it means that the Hilton hotel will gain business on the back of it that will no doubt go into Paris Hiltons pleasure account for diamond collars her toy dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

my wife had a similar experience with a b and b in killkenny no phone call but horrible emails after her and a group of friends had stayed the review she left wasnt even that bad and they had had worse reviews

what was the b&b

what was the b&b

Immaterial to the issue here.

I would like to read other reviews

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

A friend of mine received a load of abusive emails about a guesthouse in Boston. The review she put up wasn't even a bad one, it was just ok, but the owner got seriously annoyed about it and plagued her with emails for a while after.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

what was the b&b

I do not want the B&B named here. Please do not ask for it to be named.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

OP I don't understand why you want to call the Gardai?

Leave the bad review up there, don't stay there again... case closed. You don't need to do anything else but move on and forget about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Your friend taking the review down was silly.

Now it looks like she didnt mean the review. If I were her Id put the review back up, and Id add in the abusive phonecall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

OT but a similar thing happened with me on justeat.ie, got a bollocking from the takeaway owner down the phone after leaving a bad review. Justeat removed the review too.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Can the OP post the review? I'm not asking for names or places just the comments that were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I wouldn't have entertained the phone call tbh.

If they kept calling back I would just tell them I am recording the call to pass onto the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Happened to me after I published a 4* review of a B&B that I stayed in in Lisbon. I got an email from the owner asking me to upgrade it to a 5* one. When I didn't, and told him why, I then got another email basically saying that I was too unsophisticated to appreciate his guesthouse, and never to come back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Unshelved wrote: »
    Happened to me after I published a 4* review of a B&B that I stayed in in Lisbon. I got an email from the owner asking me to upgrade it to a 5* one. When I didn't, and told him why, I then got another email basically saying that I was too unsophisticated to appreciate his guesthouse, and never to come back!

Did you give another review to tell people this? I definitely would have.

Advertisement