Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Systems

Options
  • 03-05-2013 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

With the way this town is turning its looking inevitable that I have no choice but to get an alarm system on the house.
    Does anyone have any reviews on certain companies or any input on the cheapest way to go ? Seem to be some crazy prices around when looking through google searches !

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I have had Phonewatch for the lasts 6 years and never had a problem with it.
    It's personal preference which alarm company you pick.
    If you do get an alarm you will save around 10% per year on your house insurance as well :)
    www.phonewatch.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Rather than fork out for a monitored alarm, most systems have the option of a phone line or GSM dialler, meaning you get a call or text directly from the alarm if it goes off or is tampered with.

Not quite 100% as secure as a monitored system (e.g. if someone cuts phone line you will not know, whereas a monitored system will - open to correction) but worth considering if you don't want to pay monitoring fees.

The HKC systems are good and used by most installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

If you do get an alarm you will save around 10% per year on your house insurance as well :)
    www.phonewatch.ie[/QUOTE]

Not being funny or anything but if youve not had any problems with it then how do you know its good?:D by that i mean if youve had no call to use it then you cant really rate it other than it hasnt gone mental on you! i suppose im being flippant!

Ive noticed that alot of houses have been pre-wired by electricians who arent really alarm installers and have wired the houses only for beams/ PIR's this in itself has several downsides, if you set your alarm and get up do go downstairs your walking into the beam and have to unset your alram as it will begin to warn you the alarm is about to go off, same for the landing there is a beam on the landing so if you set the alrarm and want to go into your kids room when they are crying or whatever you have to run down the stairs and turn the alarm off before it goes into ringing, there are several different setting though for such instances but i think this compromises your security, I would be much happier having a contact and sensor combination on the doors downstairs and inertia sensors on all other downstairs windows if anybody attempts to break in they will vibrate the panel and the alarm will go off or if the door is opened the alarm will go off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

Hoffmans wrote: »
    would'nt go wasting good money on that system when you could get a better one than that installed for bout €200 extra, it would be money well spent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 thedancingcow

Phonewatch - end of. Never had a problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭garyscargo

Recommend getting 3 quotes minimum from local licensed installers. I've had a couple of HKC alarms with no problems whatsoever so would recommend those systems. Also recommend self monitoring using a GSM dialler. Paying for monitoring over a phone line is useless if the phone line is cut (little white panel at the side of most houses nowadays). No, PhoneWatch or whoever will not know it is cut or there are any problems immediately (until daily/weekly test call) (few people realise this serious weakness of phone line monitoring systems; GSM can be jammed too, but thats less likely). Also look at the Garda response policy to monitored alarms (a few conditions including a keyholder to be present before they attend iirc, which few people realise either). Also get a real external siren; some installers only use dummy/decoy boxes which make no noise. Different people will have different experiences with different alarm providers, but plenty of people with no alarm have never been broken into either, so get a few opinions etc. There's a dedicated home security forum on boards for more expert advice too. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

HD Cameras with offsite backups. Huge obvious camera on all sides of the house.

Motion sensor lights also.

Then worry about an alarm.

garyscargo wrote: »
    Recommend getting 3 quotes minimum from local licensed installers. I've had a couple of HKC alarms with no problems whatsoever so would recommend those systems. Also recommend self monitoring using a GSM dialler. Paying for monitoring over a phone line is useless if the phone line is cut (little white panel at the side of most houses nowadays). No, PhoneWatch or whoever will not know it is cut or there are any problems immediately (until daily/weekly test call) (few people realise this serious weakness of phone line monitoring systems; GSM can be jammed too, but thats less likely). Also look at the Garda response policy to monitored alarms (a few conditions including a keyholder to be present before they attend iirc, which few people realise either). Also get a real external siren; some installers only use dummy/decoy boxes which make no noise. Different people will have different experiences with different alarm providers, but plenty of people with no alarm have never been broken into either, so get a few opinions etc. There's a dedicated home security forum on boards for more expert advice too. Good luck!

Its also illegal for anybody who is not a registered NSAI registered installer to install an alarm system now! that means Nixers too and sparks who say i can fit your alarm, you need to be registered with NSAI to install an alarm system now, I think its a 3000 euro fine for both you and the installer if found to be using an unregistered installer. HKC is probably the best gear, I would also recommend like the other poster sensor lights outside. and Eircom phone watch is flawed i wont go comprise peoples home security by saying it on here but most installers who know their stuff will tell you how easily compromised it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

park alarms cant go wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

garyscargo wrote: »

Given me loads to think about there ! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Media999 wrote: »
    HD Cameras with offsite backups. Huge obvious camera on all sides of the house.

Motion sensor lights also.

Then worry about an alarm.

I live in an estate with houses to the rear ... I'm presuming there could be a neighbour issue with motion sensor lights? Or am I just being too thoughtful of a neighbour :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Phonewatch - end of. Never had a problem....

The term end of pisses me off so heres my friends phonewatch story. He had phonewatch, 4 years, never a problem. Until one night he was robbed, house completely ransacked, phonwatch knew nothing about this till he rang to ask why they had not called him/gardai. This was around christmas and he had a large sum of money in the house which was also taken. They said it must have been a glitch, that they were totally unaware of any break in and offered him a years free contract.

He is currently sueing them.

No system is perfect.

kryogen wrote: »
    The term end of pisses me off so heres my friends phonewatch story. He had phonewatch, 4 years, never a problem. Until one night he was robbed, house completely ransacked, phonwatch knew nothing about this till he rang to ask why they had not called him/gardai. This was around christmas and he had a large sum of money in the house which was also taken. They said it must have been a glitch, that they were totally unaware of any break in and offered him a years free contract.

No system is perfect.

That was my point exactly to a previous poster, if you havent had any call to use your system then you cant rate it, other than the system doesnt go banana's on you then you can say the system is great no false alarms. If you had a break in and the guards were there in ten mins thanks to phonewatch then you can rate it. Marketing and funny ads on TV or ads attempting to be funny dont make a good system, as i said phonewatch is flawed in so many ways and the system can be by passed very easily, any decent criminal (decent as in good at what he does:D) knows this. keep away from phonewatch is my opinion with alot of experience in this matter.

I dont think theres any laws about sensor lights, If theres no Laws about putting big nasty sattelite dished half way up the front of the house then i cant see why this would be a problem I must start a thread about Sat dishes i thought there was a law on minimum height requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thedancingcow

kryogen wrote: »

No system is perfect.

I can speak from a successful callout with the Police where Phonewatch worked for me and stopped me getting my house ransacked... I understand no system is perfect - I'm just saying for me its perfect. I do apologise you don't like the term 'end of' - its just the way I talk... I'll try and be a little more eloquent in future....

When are people going to learn that when you use something that 10s of 1000s of others use you are not protected. Eircom weaknesses are well known and there systems are laughable at best.

Burglars hate to be seen. They dont care about Alarms. Just like your neighbours dont care when they hear it going off and leave it up to Eircom to sort out.

Highest resolution HD cams with nightvision. 100% visibility of the parameter. Closest thing you can get to a floodlight when anything moves.

Dont mind the neighbours. Look out for number one. If they have any sense they will be happy to have cameras up.

www.phonewatch.ie[/QUOTE]

Not being funny or anything but if youve not had any problems with it then how do you know its good?:D by that i mean if youve had no call to use it then you cant really rate it other than it hasnt gone mental on you! i suppose im being flippant!

Ive noticed that alot of houses have been pre-wired by electricians who arent really alarm installers and have wired the houses only for beams/ PIR's this in itself has several downsides, if you set your alarm and get up do go downstairs your walking into the beam and have to unset your alram as it will begin to warn you the alarm is about to go off, same for the landing there is a beam on the landing so if you set the alrarm and want to go into your kids room when they are crying or whatever you have to run down the stairs and turn the alarm off before it goes into ringing, there are several different setting though for such instances but i think this compromises your security, I would be much happier having a contact and sensor combination on the doors downstairs and inertia sensors on all other downstairs windows if anybody attempts to break in they will vibrate the panel and the alarm will go off or if the door is opened the alarm will go off!

I phrased it wrong. I should have said I never had a problem with it not activating :). It has happened numerous times where I go downstairs and forget to disarm the alarm, thus it goes off. When I don't enter the code quick enough it triggers the monitoring & phone watch called. Its a good thing that they are fast in their calling :)

When are people going to learn that when you use something that 10s of 1000s of others use you are not protected. Eircom weaknesses are well known and there systems are laughable at best.

Burglars hate to be seen. They dont care about Alarms. Just like your neighbours dont care when they hear it going off and leave it up to Eircom to sort out.

Highest resolution HD cams with nightvision. 100% visibility of the parameter. Closest thing you can get to a floodlight when anything moves.

Dont mind the neighbours. Look out for number one. If they have any sense they will be happy to have cameras up.

Thinking about getting CCTV.
    Do you recommend any local suppliers ?
    Is it better to buy the kits on-line & just pay someone to install ?
    With CCTV coming down in price its pretty affordable for people to get it now. Its a small investment for the possible prevention of a break in.

Thinking about getting CCTV.
    Do you recommend any local suppliers ?
    Is it better to buy the kits on-line & just pay someone to install ?
    With CCTV coming down in price its pretty affordable for people to get it now. Its a small investment for the possible prevention of a break in.

Dont forget now the new rules and regulations about supplying and fitting any alarm or CCTV systems, Im sure if you buy the stuff yourself for your house and install it yourself then maybe your okay, i mean they are selling it in argos as DIY, But if you pay someone a sparks or handy man to do it your laible to be prosecuted if they are not registered with the NSAI and registered to install CCTV and or Alarm Systems, I think its a 3k fine for both you and the installer.

This is all to protect their trade and i suppose its a good thing for their trade that they arent having people taking work away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I think this outfit is the best going.

I'd say it cost a fortune though.

http://netwatchsystem.com/

• Advertisement

I may aswell say this to yee all here with Telecom phone watch, this system is useless as criminals are using GSM blockers on the system which deactivates the system, Im pretty sure the sensors are wireless and this blocks the signals, so thieves are using these blockers that can be got online thats why Eircom is useless, there are other ways too to block the system you dont even need to do that, I knew this about 10 years ago its nothing new its just more common place now, eircom wireless alarms are complete tosh

There are so many ways to interfere with Eircom Wireless systems its unreal thieves are actually looking for Eircom homes cos they use the wireless systems

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Swinng

Here is a good article you should read before you purchase any alarm

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/ireland-its-a-great-country-for-a-criminal-29260026.html

Swinng wrote: »
    Here is a good article you should read before you purchase any alarm

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/ireland-its-a-great-country-for-a-criminal-29260026.html[/QUOTE]

Basicly proving my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

all jokes aside, have u got room in your house? a few clucking geese should do it! they are as agressive as fcuk when someone calls around, make a right racket. business i am in we use some top security companies to secure our site and have one particular hatch of geese and they go apesihte if anyone goes near their patch they dont know or recognise like to the point of attacking but will make enough of a racket...

dogs can be drugged or killed with meat these boyos dont at all... simple cheap and crazy enough to deter any would be burglers

Alarm companies also prioritise wireless as they can be installed in minutes and much cheaper as well. More profit for them at your families expense. If you are getting an alarm do not get wireless.

Alarm companies also prioritise wireless as they can be installed in minutes and much cheaper as well. More profit for them at your families expense. If you are getting an alarm do not get wireless.

Thats true, although not all alarm companies will do this, They will read a customer over their phone by what they want and if they give a sh'te whats getting installed, some people just think an alarm is an alarm and they get what they asked for an alarm, Wireless alarms are useless, I could go on and say how many more ways the system can be undermined but that would be silly of me.

Landlords tend to go for the cheapest option. Thats always the wireless option.

Advertisement