Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training advice

Options
  • 03-05-2013 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

i am 16 weeks out from my first sprint triathlon and need some advise on trianing. just to let you know where i am distace wise , i can swim upto and beyond 4k , yesterday i cycled 60k (for the first time)_ and i can run about 8 k. none of these are done quickly bar maybe the swimming.
    I have the distances covered individually but have not done a brick yet. im just wondering should i do less mileage on the bike and swimming to concentrate on speed or will the extra miles help.if anyone could reccomend a training plan for about 16 weeks it would help as i think a schedule would be helpful.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Your swimming sounds pretty sorted, but as its sprint distance, you could consider doing some speed work in your swims. Is it an open water or pool tri, and if its ow, have you experience?

How much time have you each week to train?

What kinds of speeds are your run and bike?

You definitely need to get used to running off the bike, even a short run after your cycle will give you a feel for it. More structured brick sessions are good for the change from one to the other.

If you are pretty strong in all disciplines, it might be worth spending time on transition practice. No point being first out of the swim, if you cant get out of a wetsuit or forget to put on your helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I love ow swimming in sea about 7mths of year. Fastest 20 k onb bike is 46 min fairly hilly. Running is weakest. Fastest 5k is 26.5 min.

I love ow swimming in sea about 7mths of year. Fastest 20 k onb bike is 46 min fairly hilly. Running is weakest. Fastest 5k is 26.5 min.
    You know what you need to focus on then.:)

Any good plans for running. What should the maximum run distance be.

Any good plans for running. What should the maximum run distance be.

What are you currently doing?

• Advertisement

Two 5 k runs and 1 longer run all at same pace between 5 and 5:30 per k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Vary the pace. Tempo / interval, easy recovery run between and a longer run for aerobic work.

If that doesn't work, new runners will!! ;)

Vary the pace. Tempo / interval, easy recovery run between and a longer run for aerobic work.

If that doesn't work, new runners will!! ;)
    Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Depending on your targeted race pace and race distance, if you do a tempo run of 10 -15 minutes warm up and 8-10 minutes at 4:45/km with 2 mins recovery @ 5:30/k followed by 10 @4:45/km, recovery and cooldown. Build over a few weeks to 15 mins & 3 mins.

Recovery run 8-10k at 5:30-6:00

Interval sessions of warmup, 4 x 4mins @ 4:20-30/k with 2 mins recovery between and a long 12-15k run at 6:00/km your running will come along in leaps and bounds.

Obviously a plan with recovery weeks needs to be considered. You should also be running off the bike everythime you're on it from here on in. It will be a great help to developing smooth transitions and clearing the legs for the work ahead.
    Thanks for the help

Welcome!

Advertisement