Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is involved in building this (effort & cost)

Options
  • 03-05-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for some guidance. I have an idea for an application that would integrate with Facebook in the following way:

1) User signs up via Facebook, app grabs their contacts (usual 'call to API' type app I guess).

2) User is presented with a welcome screen with a list of up to 20 categories. They can select up to 3 of these categories via a checkbox next to each one.

3) Underneath the checkbox appears a free-form field, where they can enter some info.

4) They hit 'submit' and their friends and friends-of-friends (i.e. mutual friends) receive an opt-in notification that this info has been submitted.

I guess I am looking for pointers on whether this is something that is very straightforward to build? I am guessing / hoping that it is fairly simple, and that the main cost / time-requirement would revolve around designing the app.

Anyway, all guidance welcome.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

What exactly is the point of this? Spamming your friends?

You should check out http://developers.facebook.com/, has some good guides on integrating apps with facebook.
    As for effort and cost to build the app, you need to provide more detail of what you really need it to do, what platform you want it to run on(Android/Web/Iphone).....

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ideaburst

Seridisand wrote: »
    What exactly is the point of this? Spamming your friends?

You should check out http://developers.facebook.com/, has some good guides on integrating apps with facebook.
    As for effort and cost to build the app, you need to provide more detail of what you really need it to do, what platform you want it to run on(Android/Web/Iphone).....

Hi Seridisand,

Thanks for the reply. No spam involved whatsoever, this would be 100% opt-in as your friends would have to join first. Even then they will only get notifications that they choose to receive.

In any case I don't think Facebook lets you spam friends in that way anymore (you have to oauth everything now it seems).

Mind if I ask if you are a developer? I'd be happy to share more detail over PM to get your thoughts. It has a specific and useful (imo) function alright.

I am Java/Python/Django would be my main areas. I think (I could be wrong), facebook uses JavaScript/ PHP.

Do you have any development experience?

I am Java/Python/Django would be my main areas. I think (I could be wrong), facebook uses JavaScript/ PHP.

Do you have any development experience?

Yup php is what they use for front-end, but Java is actually what they have down as one area of required expertise: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3690092/what-programming-language-does-facebook-use

I don't at all no, my background is online marketing so I am well up to speed there and can handle that side of things no problem. For this I'd be looking to talk to someone technical such as yourself, to sound it out initially.

Personally, I do Java Desktop Applications, PHP wouldn't be my go to language(I prefer Python).
    What I would recommend is creating a Use Case, essentially a step by step story(ies) of how you would like the app to allow:

a user will install/opt-in/opt-out
    a user will create an account
    a user will go from opening - using - closing
    how you want to manage accounts

Basically a set of "The app needs to do is..."

Once you know exactly you need it to do, then you should probably start looking for prices for development.

After that you still have to deploy it(I hear Heroku is a good service for facebook apps) and maintain it.

• Advertisement

Personally, I do Java Desktop Applications, PHP wouldn't be my go to language(I prefer Python).
    What I would recommend is creating a Use Case, essentially a step by step story(ies) of how you would like the app to allow:

a user will install/opt-in/opt-out
    a user will create an account
    a user will go from opening - using - closing
    how you want to manage accounts

Basically a set of "The app needs to do is..."

Once you know exactly you need it to do, then you should probably start looking for prices for development.

After that you still have to deploy it(I hear Heroku is a good service for facebook apps) and maintain it.

Yep that's what I'd need to do first alright. Have done more than a few of those in my time! Thanks for the replies and if you know any FB app developers or anyone suitable let me know?

Advertisement