Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haunted locations in Waterford. (For a compilation)

Options
  • 03-05-2013 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I realize that there are a whole bunch of threads about the topic, but it fascinates me to no end, even though I'm not sure what I believe. I'm thinking of compiling a collection of haunted sites in and around Waterford City and County, and would love some help!

So, I know about the house at Carrol's Cross (although, if anybody has anything to share, please do), thanks to years of my father telling me that it was haunted everytime we headed for Kerry or Cork.

And the Haunted Well in Tramore is one of my favourites, just because there are some wonderful photos of the location from the late 1800s, early 1900s, which just give it an eery atmosphere.

The Infirmary, whilst the current occupants seem to find it perfectly inhabitable, certainly has the potential to be deemed haunted.

And any locations close to the city walls, if ghosts DO exist, are definitely going to have a spirit presence, down to the fact that during the Waterford-New Ross feuds in Medieval times, and the Power/O'Driscoll attacks at around the same time, many soldiers would have lost their lives at the edges of the medieval city.

Living and growing up around the corner from Gracedieu, I'm also aware of the stories surrounding the house with the slated front (Once the home of a doctor or a bishop or someone important like that.)

AND finally, Butlerstown Castle and the Coach House are reputedly haunted, am I correct? I know the castle was used during the War of Independence and the Civil War, because my very own great-grandfather spent time there whilst fighting, and I've heard stories of rebels haunting the site.

So help me out in my mission, and share anything that might be of interest!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

seafield holiday homes in tramore, myself and several others have had bad experiences whilst renting there

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

Seafield holiday homes? not somewhere i would have imagined as they are fairly recently build. whats going on down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Waterfordborn

Yes, Seafield isn't exactly somewhere I would think of as haunted... What happened?

we lived there for about 2 months, always noticed even when we had a blazing fire goin that the place was always stone cold, the girlfriend at the time had a **** attack one day when i came home from work said she was upstairs and came outta our bedroom to bring stuff into the spare room and when she came out to go into our room again the door slammed in her face, there was no windows open at the time so it defo was'nt the wind blowing it closed,needless to say she would'nt stay in the place after that, a neighbour behind us told us that one night they could hear a bang in the kitchen area and the end of a sliced pan was thrown across the room, they did'nt stay there either after that and there daughter was always saying that "there was a man in the wardrobe that had a tail and feet like a horse" crazy i know but apparently there is a mass grave down that area from the seahorse disaster?

Wow, really? Hadn't heard anything of the likes until now.

Fascinating, thanks!

• Advertisement

Wow, really? Hadn't heard anything of the likes until now.

Fascinating, thanks!
    no bothers at all, i know of a few other people that used live in them after i did and always left them in a sudden but never discussed why they decided to move so suddenly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Carrol's Cross house isn't haunted/suspicious/creepy...
    story as much as I know is that its owned by a family ... stil in the are, all pensioners with no one younger than 70...
    had a bit of money
    the house was built as one of them was about to be married.
    Don't know the details but the house was never moved in to either the bride died or moved to England.
    The only people to be in that house were the owners who don't live there but do take fairly good care of it all the same.
    It was creepy enough until I was around the back and knocked on the door a few times with friends when I was younger.
    There's other places around I wouldn't go near with a hoover and the ghostbusters at my back

no bothers at all, i know of a few other people that used live in them after i did and always left them in a sudden but never discussed why they decided to move so suddenly

I know someone who has a holiday home down there... no issues at all...
    it must be a specific set of houses

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Waterford has exactly the same number of haunted locations as everywhere else.

None.

endacl wrote: »

None.

Damn the widespread use of vacuum cleaners!!!

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »

None.

Aha, thanks for that helpful insight ^.^

MOC88 wrote: »
    Carrol's Cross house isn't haunted/suspicious/creepy...
    story as much as I know is that its owned by a family ... stil in the are, all pensioners with no one younger than 70...
    had a bit of money
    the house was built as one of them was about to be married.
    Don't know the details but the house was never moved in to either the bride died or moved to England.
    The only people to be in that house were the owners who don't live there but do take fairly good care of it all the same.
    It was creepy enough until I was around the back and knocked on the door a few times with friends when I was younger.
    There's other places around I wouldn't go near with a hoover and the ghostbusters at my back
    Oh, thanks c: See, I had always been told that no one would live in it, so i guess that's what gave it its creepy feeling. Now it just appears to be an ordinary house c:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Aha, thanks for that helpful insight ^.^

No bother. Happy to help. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mrkdips

Any stories on the west side of the county. I am always intrigued but scared s**tless at the same time

Stayed in the hotel from the Shining film last summer in Etes Park Colorado. I was there for three nights and guess what - didn't sleep for three nights😄- such a scaredy cat. I wouldn't mind if I was on Tyneside of the hotel where there was activity but we weren't.

So any stories so about anywhere in west Waterford. Must put my thinking cap on too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Th holy well on the slip road down to the pier in Tramore is supposed to be haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

There is a house known as Mrs. Clem's, out near the Saleens. You can see it over the field to the right, if you are driving down the narrow lane to the car park there. I think it used to be a care home, though I could have that wrong. My daughter went out there with friends one evening, and took photos of the house. Some very weird stuff showed up in them, and her camera never worked properly again after. They legged it out of there after seeing a white, child like figure, that followed them down to hedge they got out through. It freaked them out completely:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

73Cat wrote: »
    There is a house known as Mrs. Clem's, out near the Saleens. You can see it over the field to the right, if you are driving down the narrow lane to the car park there. I think it used to be a care home, though I could have that wrong. My daughter went out there with friends one evening, and took photos of the house. Some very weird stuff showed up in them, and her camera never worked properly again after. They legged it out of there after seeing a white, child like figure, that followed them down to hedge they got out through. It freaked them out completely:(

Are you sure her and her friends weren't on acid?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Are you sure her and her friends weren't on acid?

Very sure, yes :rolleyes:. I'm the first to be sceptical, as is my daughter. Her word is good enough for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i hear the wit campus on college street is haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

how can the college st campus not be haunted? the college st campus was a magdalene laundry with an attached orphanage, it is not long closed down, woman and children were held there against their will and who will ever know what realy happend in that building....... and now they expect people to learn in that place! how people manage to go to college and manage to finish their course amazes me. talk to anyone who has attended college in that place and each one will have a story. i didnt attend there myself but spent time in the building for one reason or another, one day we went up to the very top floor where your not suppost to be going and the door was open. i stepped in to the room and couldnt go any further, it was the sadest, horriblist most terrifying place and the cots, warerobes, beds and other things were still in the room. i later heard that this room was completly cleared out and now just lies empty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

blankAs wrote: »
    how can the college st campus not be haunted? the college st campus was a magdalene laundry with an attached orphanage, it is not long closed down, woman and children were held there against their will and who will ever know what realy happend in that building....... and now they expect people to learn in that place! how people manage to go to college and manage to finish their course amazes me. talk to anyone who has attended college in that place and each one will have a story. i didnt attend there myself but spent time in the building for one reason or another, one day we went up to the very top floor where your not suppost to be going and the door was open. i stepped in to the room and couldnt go any further, it was the sadest, horriblist most terrifying place and the cots, warerobes, beds and other things were still in the room. i later heard that this room was completly cleared out and now just lies empty.
    In fairness ghosts are not real and bad things have happened anywhere you are at some stage in history so it's not a big deal. I have lived in a " haunted house" for the past five years and guess what its just a old house that creeks but people who previously lived here must have not been very logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭buttonteaser

73Cat wrote: »

i think this place is an airsoft site now, check it out http://www.whiskeydelta.net/Team.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FrodoNaggins

Im not one for believing in ghosts, but the old famine workhouse in lismore, co.waterford is pretty terrifying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Not wishing to but in to the thread, however when you actually see a ghost, you will know they exist, not necessarily scary either.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mrkdips

Im not one for believing in ghosts, but the old famine workhouse in lismore, co.waterford is pretty terrifying

Where's the famine house in lismore

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Was in Kilmeaden with a friend this weekend and we checked out the whitfield court house. we didnt go in as it was scarry enough from the outside and everything was blocked off. when we were close to the house to have a look inside we would hear baning from upstairs and at some point we even heard/felt someone standing behind us. we left after a while, no place i wanna check out again..

celica00 wrote: »
    Was in Kilmeaden with a friend this weekend and we checked out the whitfield court house. we didnt go in as it was scarry enough from the outside and everything was blocked off. when we were close to the house to have a look inside we would hear baning from upstairs and at some point we even heard/felt someone standing behind us. we left after a while, no place i wanna check out again..

i hear ya. its just such an eerie place. the feeling of dread once you hop over the wall

did anyone see the picture on the news and star 2 weeks ago i think it was. a guy was trying to take a picture of birds in a graveyard but when he looked at the pic there was a little girl in it. pretty freaky actually.has anyone seen the pic. i lost my copy . does anyone know if the article is online anywhere?

i think this place is an airsoft site now, check it out http://www.whiskeydelta.net/Team.htm

That's the house alright. Jesus they look to be camping there in some photos. Feck that for a game of soldiers ha ha...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i used to do airsoft there was never in the house though., lovely spot

Advertisement