Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of trees, elaborate policy no implementation Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 03-05-2013 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/parks/Tree_Strategy_2011/Strategy.pdf

The above is an interesting read. However, much on all as I welcome this, I have yet to see ANY implementation of said policy in Dun Laoghiare. In fact all I have noticed is tons of trees chopped down and NONE replaced, and furthermore the space where they once stood on the paths have been cemented over.

I urge Dun Laoghaire dwellers to write to the CoCo asking what the story is? I have, but have had NO response.

It's such a sham and a shame.

I gladly stand to be corrected if anyone can tell me different

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Trees on Avenues cause extensive damage to underground services and more particularly to footpaths. People are awarded massive personal injury claims for 'tripping' on footpaths that are broken by tree roots. Why would the Council or anyone else replace them to do more damage in the future, its totally uneconomic?

Generally Dun laoghaire is very leafy and the public parks and green spaces are very well kept with plenty of trees, I dont see really what the problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

So, there are to be no more tree lined, avenues, roads in Ireland because we have become such a selfish, litigious nation??

How can all the other countries of the world stroll around their beautiful towns and cities without breaking their arms and legs on exaggerated 'Day of the Triffid' type roots that you are inferring. But I will agree, there are plenty of inconversant citizens in the country.

Dun Laoghiare was a fairly leafy suburb, but there has been little or NO planting in the parks, and roadsides. The little bit of planting that was, was very poorly maintained with little or no aftercare. However, it is not up to me to point out the value of trees in our cities and towns. If you don't know, don't want to know then I guess you are also part of the equation that we have to sadly factor in.

If you read the policy, you would see that it was drawn up because there was an identified and valid reason to do so. My query is the implementation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Trees on Avenues cause extensive damage to underground services and more particularly to footpaths. People are awarded massive personal injury claims for 'tripping' on footpaths that are broken by tree roots. Why would the Council or anyone else replace them to do more damage in the future, its totally uneconomic?

Generally Dun laoghaire is very leafy and the public parks and green spaces are very well kept with plenty of trees, I dont see really what the problem is?

Well, is that the best they can do??? Dublin has been known for it's trees and parks - so they start chopping... :mad::rolleyes::mad:

We're getting like bloody Isengard in this country (the farmers are at it too) :mad: - I don't think we should go back to the time of complete car dominance, but I really miss the nice green verges when new roads were simply carriageways and nice spacious footpaths amid the greenery. We now have more things like bus lanes and cycle tracks which are a good thing, but not at the expense of trees and the environment - what's the point in having all these facilities in a poor environment. More flexibility in property is needed to make space for these facilities and at the same time, maintain the quality of our environment. No trees??? that's not progress! :mad:

Advertisement