Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which iPad?

• 03-05-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

May seem like a ridiculous question but I've so far avoided Apple products (have Samsung phones and Toshiba hardware) because I've been wary of getting sucked into the whole Apple vacuum and never being free again! :o

However, I live in the UK and all my family/friends in Ireland have iPads and I figure it's about time I get one for using Facetime (and obviously my compulsive web surfing too).....

So the question is, which one? Is the iPad infinitely better than any of the other tablets? I've seen some good deals for "refurbished" ones, what does that mean exactly? What model should I go for, I see there are new versions out? Would it be best to get the brand new model or are older versions just as good?

Sorry for the very basic questions but like I say, I am an Apple virgin!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There is no vacuum to get sucked into. I have an iPhone and an iPad, nothing else apple related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kalamath

Maybe you can get an answer to which to choose on this page:
    http://which-ipad.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

iPod touch best of both worlds and much cheaper 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

fox007 wrote: »
    iPod touch best of both worlds and much cheaper 😀

Really? Do you have facetime etc with that? How big is the screen etc?

kceire wrote: »
    There is no vacuum to get sucked into. I have an iPhone and an iPad, nothing else apple related.

I feel that once I buy one the new version will come out the next day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I highly recommend an Ipad with the exception of a asus, toshiba or samsung tablet. A nexus suppose to be good.

What's facetime is it bit like talk or facebook chat/skype?

Go with one that suits you though what do you want out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've had an iPad for three months and love it. Its the best thing I've ever bought and I genuinely can't remember how I coped without it. I won't be switching to iPhone and Android though. There's no vacuum mate, not unless you want to fall into one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Merkin wrote: »
    Really? Do you have facetime etc with that? How big is the screen etc?

Yep has everything you need full details
    http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch_4thgeneration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I feel that once I buy one the new version will come out the next day!!

That can always happen. Once you buy - stop looking at the "new versions". You buy the device to service a function and to enjoy it. That's the long and the short of it. We have an iPad mini. Wonderful little device which fits snugly in your hand as opposed to the full-size unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

I'm looking for my 1st tablet, and really want the iPad but find it hard to justify the price and can't decide if the iPad mini would suit over the full size one.

I remember buying a HTC with for the missus a few years ago and found it a pig of a phone to learn to use. Once I had my iPhone 4S had the whole thing sussed in days and never looked back!

Tempted to buy cheap tablet but can't help feeling ill be wishing I went the iPad route when I do.

So, as OP stated, can people advise full size or mini iPad, and go for version 2 or 3 or spend the mortgage and buy the 4 with retina display?

Would love to hear some back to back comparisons from real users rather than magazine reviews by techies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Migworks wrote: »
    I'm looking for my 1st tablet, and really want the iPad but find it hard to justify the price and can't decide if the iPad mini would suit over the full size one.

I remember buying a HTC with for the missus a few years ago and found it a pig of a phone to learn to use. Once I had my iPhone 4S had the whole thing sussed in days and never looked back!

Tempted to buy cheap tablet but can't help feeling ill be wishing I went the iPad route when I do.

So, as OP stated, can people advise full size or mini iPad, and go for version 2 or 3 or spend the mortgage and buy the 4 with retina display?

Would love to hear some back to back comparisons from real users rather than magazine reviews by techies.

First things first, check out the refurb store for the best deals, especially if you're looking to save.

I bought by 64GB iPad 2 on there and am delighted I did, especially with the storage size as I'm in need of it now.

The iPad 3 with retina didn't attract me as they (apparently) have a longer charge time and less usage time, although that might be changed with the 4, and that's not great if you're relying on it travelling.

I have used the mini and found it decent but I was already used to the iPad 2 so I'd be biased in that regard

Jev/N wrote: »
    First things first, check out the refurb store for the best deals, especially if you're looking save.

Is this refurb store in Cork or online ? I'd love to go for 32 or 64 as with my current iPhone 5 on 16 it's not enough!
    As always it's down to cost!

I've had my 32GB retina display iPad 4 for two weeks now.Verdict? BEST PURCHASE EVER!!!!:D Am hooked.....do it!!

Don't buy a cheapo tab if you have an iPhone. I've used the Go Clever ones and they are extremely sloooooooowwwwwwwwww.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,894 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Don't waste you money on an iPad 2, retina makes such a difference imo so go 3 at the very least.

Yeah think I'm going to hold off getting a cheapo tab and try for either the iPad 3 or iPad mini. Don't see many selling the 3 anymore, can I ask those that have used the mini v normal iPad, is it the Same device only smaller (as in iPad 4)?
    Don't think the smaller screen would bother me, I'd be improving on my iPhone 5 screen anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Sorry for jumping into your thread OP. Is it true that ipad battery(Apple) can last for 9 hours. ? I am interested in buying one, cos the laptop only last up to 2 hours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Sorry for jumping into your thread OP. Is it true that ipad battery(Apple) can last for 9 hours. ? I am interested in buying one, cos the laptop only last up to 2 hours.

Yes

Yeah think I'm going to hold off getting a cheapo tab and try for either the iPad 3 or iPad mini. Don't see many selling the 3 anymore, can I ask those that have used the mini v normal iPad, is it the Same device only smaller (as in iPad 4)?
    Don't think the smaller screen would bother me, I'd be improving on my iPhone 5 screen anyway!

iPad mini doesn't have the retina display but if you've never used it you're not going to miss it. EDIT - I potted you have an iPhone 5 so you probably will notice the non-retina display for a short while, can't say that I notice it anymore.

Apart from that, the same device in a smaller package.

I did a lot of research before buying and it seems like the 3rd Gen was a blot of Apple's copybook. If you're going ahead get either the 2nd Gen or if pushing the boat out the 4th Gen. I'll have a dig for a very interesting article I found on the reasons behind it...

• Advertisement

I did a lot of research before buying and it seems like the 3rd Gen was a blot of Apple's copybook. If you're going ahead get either the 2nd Gen or if pushing the boat out the 4th Gen. I'll have a dig for a very interesting article I found on the reasons behind it...

I'd be interested to hear what you think the blot is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The iPad mini is the same spec (except the size) as the iPad 2. Which suggests the iPad 2 will be supported as long as the iPad Mini is. I like the size of the mini myself its more portable. Theres a big jump in price for the retina model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

beauf wrote: »
    The iPad mini is the same spec (except the size) as the iPad 2. Which suggests the iPad 2 will be supported as long as the iPad Mini is. I like the size of the mini myself its more portable. Theres a big jump in price for the retina model.

I'm going to get the next ipad Min, even though I'll probably be waiting until close to Christmas if not after. Having got used to retina it's a deal breaker for me. The mrs has a mini and the text just doesn't look as sharp to me as my full size iPad 3 and iPhone 4, which are both retina. But like you say, if you've never had it, you won't notice the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Graham wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear what you think the blot is?

So would I. :D

I have checked mine, back and front, don't see any.

jakdublin wrote: »
    I'm going to get the next ipad Min, even though I'll probably be waiting until close to Christmas if not after. Having got used to retina it's a deal breaker for me. The mrs has a mini and the text just doesn't look as sharp to me as my full size iPad 3 and iPhone 4, which are both retina. But like you say, if you've never had it, you won't notice the difference.

I'm constantly swapping between an iPhone5, iPad (3rd Gen) and iPad mini. To start with I found the lower resolution on the iPad mini quite jarring, can't say I notice it at all now. Just a case of initial pixel shock. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I still have my iPad 2 16GB which I use daily for leisure and work. I have used an iPad 3, and honestly can't see what the fuss is about with the retina display. I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to get one because of it. My only gripe was getting the 16GB as I ran out of space, but I bought a 32GB WiFi Drive which streams movies, etc to the iPad giving me 48GB which I can use with phone as well.

Refurbs are as good as brand new. In fact they put new casing and screen on them, and test it before they ship them out. Only available online from the Apple Store. If you are not happy with it for any reason you can return it to Apple within 14 days, at their expense. Any refurb I have bought from Apple has always been A1.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I still have my iPad 2 16GB which I use daily for leisure and work. I have used an iPad 3, and honestly can't see what the fuss is about with the retina display. I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to get one because of it. My only gripe was getting the 16GB as I ran out of space, but I bought a 32GB WiFi Drive which streams movies, etc to the iPad giving me 48GB which I can use with phone as well.

Refurbs are as good as brand new. In fact they put new casing and screen on them, and test it before they ship them out. Only available online from the Apple Store. If you are not happy with it for any reason you can return it to Apple within 14 days, at their expense. Any refurb I have bought from Apple has always been A1.

Hmm might look at that option, however having run my potential Father's Day present past the missus I was reminded that both O2 and Bord Gais are looking for €350 ASAP so I think that's done it for now 😞

Graham wrote: »
    I'm constantly swapping between an iPhone5, iPad (3rd Gen) and iPad mini. To start with I found the lower resolution on the iPad mini quite jarring, can't say I notice it at all now. Just a case of initial pixel shock. :pac:

I have an iPhone 4. There is very little difference in the resolution really.

The battery on the mini can last for hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement