Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Brooks B66 for Dutch bike?

Options
  • 03-05-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

A niche query, perhaps...

I have a Brooks B66 on my Dutch bike, but recently I snapped the backplate so now the rear right corner droops and the leather has begun to sag a little. The rest of the saddle is fine, but will presumably deteriorate if I don't fix the broken part.

Replacement backplates are available, but my plight set me thinking- are there any similar non-Brooks saddles out there? I've checked Gilles Berthoud and Velo Orange, but neither has a town bike saddle of similar dimensions, and all their saddles seem to be single rail, whereas the B66 is double rail (needed for my seatpost type).

I've also looked at other Brooks saddles in the 'City & Heavy Duty' range (B33, B73, B135 and B190), but none of them really grabs me like the B66.

If anyone is aware of other options for a leather, double-rail, sprung saddle, I'd appreciate a few pointers.

Separately-

Has anyone ever replaced a Brooks B66 backplate or had one replaced by an LBS? Or had any other Brooks repairs done by an LBS? Their website says that the job should 'only be attempted by a trained professional' and recommends consulting one of their *ahem* Dealers of Excellence. Are there any Dealers of Excellence in Ireland? The website doesn't list any.

I suspect most good cobblers would have the tools and know-how, so I might go that route...

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Advertisement