Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving a job during maternity leave

• 03-05-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,

I'm currently on unpaid maternity leave and claiming maternity benefit from the state. I've been offered a job with a new company and will start when my leave is over in a few months. I'm wondering if
    1. I have to work the 1 month notice with current employer like as in my contract if I hand in my notice now. as i'm on leave how will this work?
    2. Am I still entitled to maternity benefit when I hand in my notice?

Hope this makes sense!!

Thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Maternity Benefit is paid for 26 weeks. At least 2 weeks and not more than 16 weeks leave must be taken before the end of the week in which your baby is due.

You can take a further 16 weeks unpaid maternity leave. This period is not covered by Maternity Benefit but you will be entitled to a credited social insurance contribution for each week of unpaid leave you take (up to the maximum of 16).

based on the above from citizensinfo I think you are on the first 26 weeks as you are being paid? I presume you could avail of the full 26 weeks and then ask your employer to accept 1 months notice simultaneously with giving you unpaid maternity leave....they may agree to this. I doubt benefit would be payable if the department of social protection knew you are not returning to the job you held.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I disagree with the above info.
    As long as you have more than 1 month of your agreed maternity leave from your current employer, he or she shouldn't have any problem with your notice running concurrently with your maternity leave.
    You're in receipt of a state benefit based on You having paid your prsi contributions so you'll still be entitled to your full 26 weeks payment (edit-as long as you're not working during those 26 weeks).

Congrats on your new arrival and job - busy times!

Advertisement