Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clew Bay Half Marathon 13.7.13

Options
  • 03-05-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm considering doing this as my first half marathon. I'm fairly new to running, have done a couple of 5k races and plan to do a 10k race before July. Im using a 12 week training plan. My aim is to complete the half and not worry about a time.

How suitable do you think this course is for a first timer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭plodder

I didn't do it last year, but I've run the route. It's a nice course and very scenic. A few little hills in the first half or so, though nothing too serious. It's fairly flat for the last few miles, probably with the wind on your back. I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Agree with Plodder. If you have a Westerly then it'll be great. The coast road has some great scenery and you pass by the foot of Croagh Patrick. Also, Westport makes for a nice finish down by the quay. Good cause too (Mayo Mountain Rescue iirc).

belcarra wrote: »
    Agree with Plodder. If you have a Westerly then it'll be great. The coast road has some great scenery and you pass by the foot of Croagh Patrick. Also, Westport makes for a nice finish down by the quay. Good cause too (Mayo Mountain Rescue iirc).
    You're thinking of the coastal challenge half mar, which starts from the same spot more or less. I've done that one a few times (and it;s a great race), but this one (the clew bay half) is a different event. The course goes west of Louisburgh along the Leenaun rd and back the road from Killeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

plodder wrote: »
    You're thinking of the coastal challenge half mar, which starts from the same spot more or less. I've done that one a few times (and it;s a great race), but this one (the clew bay half) is a different event. The course goes west of Louisburgh along the Leenaun rd and back the road from Killeen.

I did this one last year. It was my first half. I would have liked to have done it again this year but they moved the weekend that its on from last year. It is hilly enough and there was a good wind. Overall I managed it OK even though the training was blighted by injury in the six weeks beforehand. Good event.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BeachMusic

Thanks for replies. Sounds like I will have to include some hill work in my training plan.

Could anyone confirm the correct date for the half?

I just noticed today that runireland.com lists it as July 20th but other websites say July 13th.

• Advertisement

Wasn't planning to do this (tomorrow), but got talked into it yesterday. Won't break any records I think, except for sweat maybe.

I don't suppose anyone has a course map for this year. Can't find much info on the web.

Great race. Very well organised with loads of water stations and "sponge" stations which is something I'd never come across before, but it was very welcome. Most of the water I took was thrown straight over the head to try and keep temperature down. Was completely soaked down to the shoes , but it definitely helped as the heat was cruel. Spectacular course and great food after as well. Nice T-shirt too. Would recommend it, though it was a bit pricey at 40 quid. Numbers were down this year apparently, Possibly, some went to beach instead, were put off by heat, or the cost maybe. Though didn't mind paying it, as it's a local fundraiser.

Advertisement