Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maps for hiking Dublin / Wicklow / Leinster?

Options
  • 03-05-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi lads
    Could you please recommend a shop where I can buy some proper maps for hiking the Dublin/Wicklow/Leinster hills?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In before BarryD does ... www.eastwestmapping.ie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

+1 for EastWest maps. They're a better scale (1:30000) and more sensibly laid out. Instead of just using a national grid they cover an entire area of interest. It always rankled with me that for the routes up the highest mountain in Leinster you need two OS maps. You can get them online at the link Alun posted or in Easons, Great Outdoors and Reids on Nassau Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The most accurate contours are on the Ordnance Survey maps, but other than that they offer little for hikers.

The East West maps have great detail, but you'll need the 4 of them for good coverage.

The Harveys Wicklow map offers reasonable detail on one map.

Personally I always carry the Harveys map, and bring along whichever East West map covers the area I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Thanks Alun & Orion, for your kind comment in respect of my humble efforts :o
    Seriously, in respect of these forums, I should thank Alun & others for their interest in various features - I did update the likely position of the 1946 plane crash on Djouce following a thread on the Wicklow forum, I think. Alun indeed went up and lined up old photos of the time to establish the most likely landing/ crash spot - they were most unlucky, as the plane hit almost the crest of the ridge. Makes one wonder how many near misses there have been with aircraft just scraping over high ground.. Anyway, that update appears on the 2nd edition of the Dublin & North Wicklow Mountains map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Hi BarryD, hear you have a new map of the Blackstairs pending, any release date yet?

• Advertisement

See above Loobylou, hot more or less, off the press :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

small world, I ordered the Dublin Mountains Way map this week direct from eastwestmapping...Hi Barry!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

loobylou wrote: »
    Hi BarryD, hear you have a new map of the Blackstairs pending, any release date yet?
    I have mine already !

statss wrote: »
    small world, I ordered the Dublin Mountains Way map this week direct from eastwestmapping...Hi Barry!

Good luck with the run :)

Advertisement