Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Korn back with guitarist Brian "Head" Welch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I think it's great news! Take a Look in the Mirror is my favourite Korn album, and that was their last with Head. Hopefully they can recapture some of that magic. That being said, there hasn't been a Korn album I've disliked since Life Is Peachy (so sure me).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Great news,I was sad when he left and didn't like any album after take a look in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Great news from a personal standpoint. Will be seeing them at Donington this year so having another one of the original lineup back on the cards is great, whatever way you look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Links234 wrote: »
    I actually like Korn's later output, but I know a lot weren't a fan.

I liked what they did on SH Downpour. was pissed I missed last years show tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I loved take a look in the mirror, that had a lot going for it tbh and probably the best they did without Welch ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Links234 wrote: »
    I loved take a look in the mirror, that had a lot going for it tbh and probably the best they did without Welch ;)

He was involved in that album wasnt he?left in 05.

He was involved in that album wasnt he?left in 05.

Derp >_<

I meant See you on the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

cant wait to see them live again. saw them at ozzfest in the O2 in london a few years ago and the ambassador a few years ago. they are savage live. hope they plan to play in dublin on their forthcoming tour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I saw them in 2000 with mike "puffy" bordin from faith no more drumming, beat that! :D

....but to be honest i havent really been a fan since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Absolutely fantastic to see Head back with the band. He really contributed massively to Korn's meandering melodies and rhythmic rage.
    sugarman wrote: »
    Now just to work on getting David Silveria back and we're laughing.

Given the way David acted towards the fans...I have no desire to see him return.

• Advertisement

Given the way David acted towards the fans...I have no desire to see him return.

How did he act? Genuinely curious, I've never heard anything negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Forces of Steel

Korn sucks. Always has, always will. Nu metal isn't even metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What a bizarre post....

seachto7 wrote: »
    What a bizarre post....
    I just don't like them. Same goes for Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Disturbed, and many other garbage bands this genre has produced. But we really have Pantera and Selputura (post-Arise) to thank for helping create these awful mall bands.

I would at least think Slipknot evolved. Limp Bizkit, I never cared for or Disturbed for that matter. Deftones evolved too.
    What would you prefer, that heavy metal stayed in 1985? The result would be every band being like Airbourne or the Darkness.
    Never cared much for Korn either, and in general the whole "nu metal" scene was a fad, a fashionable trendy fad in the late 90s/early 00s. But it's the same as any other fad.

Hair metal was a fad, and is as bad as any nu metal band. How many of those hair metal bands are still going? Exactly. None, as they were sh*t the first time around. I put on Master of Puppets the other day. A classic album, but I have heard it so many times, I'm getting bored of it to be honest. Music needs to develop, and progress. Some stuff will work (like Mastodon). Other stuff won't. (like Disturbed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Looking to forward to seeing what affect this will have on the bands output. Was a big fan of Korn when head left about 10 years ago.

In recent years it would seem that it was just Jonathan Davis' band. Fieldy has looked disinterested on and off stage in recent years and the guitar has taken a backseat as they began to add more electronics.

From what I've read they seem very excited about Head rejoining and what they are writing at the moment.

Yawn, heard all the "Nu-Metal isn't TRUE metal" rubbish over 10 years ago, it was silly then, it's silly now.

and whether you like it or not, nu metal introduced a whole new generation of fans to metal

Some of the "nu metal" bands sound REALLY dated. Some don't. Like any other musical genre.

I would at least think Slipknot evolved. Limp Bizkit, I never cared for or Disturbed for that matter. Deftones evolved too.
    What would you prefer, that heavy metal stayed in 1985? The result would be every band being like Airbourne or the Darkness.
    Never cared much for Korn either, and in general the whole "nu metal" scene was a fad, a fashionable trendy fad in the late 90s/early 00s. But it's the same as any other fad.

Hair metal was a fad, and is as bad as any nu metal band. How many of those hair metal bands are still going? Exactly. None, as they were sh*t the first time around. I put on Master of Puppets the other day. A classic album, but I have heard it so many times, I'm getting bored of it to be honest. Music needs to develop, and progress. Some stuff will work (like Mastodon). Other stuff won't. (like Disturbed)
    Honestly, I am convinced you know nothing of the '80s metal scene, but only the bad. Let me explain.

If you're talking about the saturated pop garbage on MTV, I would agree with you completely. On the other hand, you are clearly wrong on the underground-status bands being in the same boat (most of them). Do you really think bands such as Attacker, Cirith Ungol, Savage Grace, Cloven Hoof, Slauter Xstroyes, or Running Wild can be so easily lumped in with the likes of Poison or Bon Jovi? If you've never heard any of the aforementioned six bands, then I think I've made my point here. Listen to them, then tell me if you really think they are "hair metal".

The '80s was bursting with many fresh bands playing HUGE roles in innovating new styles (e.g. power, death, thrash, speed, doom, progressive).

Also, Master of Puppets is so mediocre. Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning are Metallica's only good albums. Actually, just listen to the first album. That will convince you right there their influences derived from the NWOBHM movement. Iron Maiden, Diamond Head, Saxon, Angel Witch, and Blitzkrieg. You can't possibly tell me that these bands really fit the "hair metal" criteria (except for Diamond Head and Saxon by 1982 -- they abandoned their harder-edged sound to experiment with making commercialized pop rock a la Def Leppard, although both quickly returned to playing heavy metal).

In case you haven't noticed, many '70s and '80s metal bands have risen from the ashes. Lots of younger bands (mostly outside the United States) today are playing an older style of metal. Ever heard of Skull Fist, Striker (CA), Enforcer (SE), Helvetets Port, or Portrait (SE)? If you want proof that traditional metal is still being played by younger bands today, those are the bands for you to check out first. By the way, Airbourne was a pretty bad example. They are a hard rock band, not a heavy metal band.

So, "hair metal" is still alive and kicking. Nu metal kicked the bucket some nine years ago. I don't think that drivel is ever returning. I'll bet my entire record collection on that.

I used hair metal as an example. It's the same as nu metal. A fad. Some bands who came out of both had to evolve (Deftones for example). But I don't want to hear RTL or KEA over and over. It was done in the 80s, it doesn't need to be done again.

You'd swear I didn't grow up in the 80s ;)

• Advertisement

Away with you!

haters-gonna-hate-QWOP.gif

Why isn't "nu metal" metal? There's thrash metal, hair metal, etc. Nu metal is just another strand of metal?

Why isn't "nu metal" metal? There's thrash metal, hair metal, etc. Nu metal is just another strand of metal?

'cos it's not trve kvlt \m/ :mad: \m/

I used hair metal as an example. It's the same as nu metal. A fad. Some bands who came out of both had to evolve (Deftones for example). But I don't want to hear RTL or KEA over and over. It was done in the 80s, it doesn't need to be done again.

You'd swear I didn't grow up in the 80s ;)
    I don't disagree that it was a fad. What I'm calling you out on is your ignorance of the underground scene that was thriving at the time. It doesn't matter if you were born in 1983 or 1993; age is just a number. Many people are happy with the select few bands they know, while others keep digging further over the years.

To say that it was done in the '80s and it doesn't need to be done again is just rubbish. A lot of modern "metal" bands are running out of ideas. Better to stick to an older formula that works, or go underground for much of the quality stuff that ever gets released. You don't have to innovate to be good.

Too many alternative and rap elements to classify it as a predominant metal genre. Heavy, thrash, speed, death, doom, black, power, and progressive metal are all predominant genres.

Anyway, I think I'm done with this thread. I'd rather not waste another second of my knowledge trying to educate those who are totally clueless and subscribe to the sheep mentality of what the labels try to control.

Oh yes oh great one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Sooooooooo.... Back on topic....

Anyone gonna get to see Head play with the band this summer?

To say that it was done in the '80s and it doesn't need to be done again is just rubbish. A lot of modern "metal" bands are running out of ideas. Better to stick to an older formula that works, or go underground for much of the quality stuff that ever gets released. You don't have to innovate to be good.

I disagree. I think bands have to innovate to last the pace. I don't want to hear a band now record an album that sounds like Kill Em All. I'd rather just listen to Kill Em All.
    I do agree that you have to go underground or away from lots of commercial stuff to find the really good stuff. Same as all music...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Anyway, I think I'm done with this thread. I'd rather not waste another second of my knowledge trying to educate those who are totally clueless and subscribe to the sheep mentality of what the labels try to control.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Korn's recent stuff has been God-awful imo. Haven't enjoyed anything from them since Untouchables. I seen them back in Punchestown I think it was when they played, and I'd still love to see them again. Head is a bit of a fool though, I read his book, it's complete horse****. Will be interested to see what they come up with now that's he's back for another while.

Advertisement