Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Korn back with guitarist Brian "Head" Welch

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    How did he act? Genuinely curious, I've never heard anything negative.

My memory has completely gone...I can't remember, but I know it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Forces of Steel

seachto7 wrote: »
    I disagree. I think bands have to innovate to last the pace. I don't want to hear a band now record an album that sounds like Kill Em All. I'd rather just listen to Kill Em All.
    I do agree that you have to go underground or away from lots of commercial stuff to find the really good stuff. Same as all music...
    Some new ideas in music can be a good thing, but a lot of times they end up becoming unnecessary -- simply fixing what isn't broken. Sticking to winning formulas doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing. Some adjustments will be made here and there, but the feeling is still there. Traditional-style metal can still survive, especially when combined with other genres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Traditional-style metal can still survive, especially when combined with other genres.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

we really have Pantera and Selputura (post-Arise) to thank for helping create these awful mall bands.

Mr. Bungle and Faith No More are more to blame tbh. but i had a similar discussion elswhere, a lot of these "awful mall bands" are actually good bands with unlikable frontmen.

Limp Bizkit are excellent musicians, you just dont get to hear it with fred being fred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Also, Master of Puppets is so mediocre. Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning are Metallica's only good albums.
    Agreed. Master of Puppets is hella overrated (along with Metallica themselves)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Beekay wrote: »
    Sooooooooo.... Back on topic....

Anyone gonna get to see Head play with the band this summer?

Aye, they'll be playing at Graspop (Belgium) in June. Didn't think I'd ever get to see them with Head on board (my first Korn gig was in '08), so it was a pleasant surprise to see him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Will be interesting to see the setlist and how many newer songs they'll play with him.
    Don't think they are gonna come over here this year.
    Got to see the original line up three times in '02(I think) in rds, 04 at download fest and in the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

As a major fan of Korn growing up in the 90's, part of me is insanely ecstatic about this news.

Korn was my absolute favourite band for a large portion of my life, ever since the first moment I head Blind back in the early 90's, it completely altered my view of music and metal. To this day I still listen to Korn on a near daily basis. Hell, I've seen them in concert 13 times and even had the insane pleasure of having a few drinks with Munky in Dublin back in like 2004 (?)

Now, some 20 years on the giddyness is slightly taken away by the fear that it's maybe time for them to let go. Head certainly was shown to be a massive influence on the band after he left, it was obvious by how much the style of music changed after he left. It'll be great to see the impact he'll have on the music.

Sadly though, as much of a dick David turned out to be at times, it still won't be the same without the real lineup and that same passion they once held as a band.

Footage from last night's Korn gig with Head.
    The quality isn't the best, but my god is it good to have Head back in the band. That's the first "proper" rendition of Ball Tongue since he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Footage from last night's Korn gig with Head.
    The quality isn't the best, but my god is it good to have Head back in the band. That's the first "proper" rendition of Ball Tongue since he left.

Jesus, the opening "Blind" performed live still gives me shivers down my whole body.

I'll have to drag the gf to see them next time they're here, shame she hates metal.

• Advertisement

Interview with Munky and Head backstage. They seem really excited about the new album and that Head is back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prl4W4vEadA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks for the link man, it was great to see the interaction and energy between Munky and Head.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Watching this at the moment :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Boardieman

David set up a profile on Korns biggest fan site for his new (since broken up) band Infinika. On the website he attacked Korn members personal lives and stated that he had slept with Jonathan's wife. Korn released no official statement regarding this but David did try at the beginning of this year to push himself back into the band purely for the money he would obtain from the 20th year anniversary and Korn said indirectly he wasnt welcome back. David not only has an attitude problem but he still struggles with addiction problems and the rest of the band don't even drink anymore. Ray Luzier has been a permanent member of Korn since 2008. A lot of people oversee that despite the fact that David Silveria is an asshole.

From what I read in the download fest. Thread they played a great gig. Setlist seems pretty good aswell shame they didn't book a date in Ireland.

They are on a festival tour and unfortunately Irish booking agents follow musical trends and it wouldn't be cool to have a metal festival in Ireland because they need to make room for 10 more versions of electric picnic. Korn were in Ireland a year or two ago and they usually follow a touring pattern. It usually goes American festival tour, European festival tour, America venue tour, South America and rest of World tour, then European studio tour. They have a new album out in September so we might see then here again in mid to late 2014. Their new album has been heard by some VIP fans who got passes onto Jonathan's bus to hear tracks and they are all saying it sounds like a mash-up between Issues an Untouchables with a modern twist. Korn always push the envelope each time round but this will be their most guitar driven album since issues according to the members.

I saw them on Friday night at Graspop. Have to say, I was very impressed; it blew their recent Olympia gig out of the water. We got plenty of old favourites like Twist and Dead Bodies Everywhere and overall the set was a pretty well balanced mix of stuff from their whole discography (although Korn III and Untitled didn't get a look in). Jon was in absolutely flying form and it looked like Head was genuinely enjoying himself. Munky let him take the lead for the most part, and the whole band seemed to gel really naturally. Very excited for the new record now :)

New album The Paradigm Shift out on October
    1st

http://www.kornrow.com/korn11th/

New song out. Never Never is the the name. Only had one listen so not really able to judge yet.

kornkoverage.tumblr.com/post/57646076943/umerloveskorn-never-never-by-korn-better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Not a fan of the new song. I'm really hoping to hear more Untouchables style music on further releases

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've listened to it a few times and it's not grabbing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Here's another track called Love & Meth....much better and rockier than Never Never.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsX_HzBK14Y

It's just a preview not the whole song.

Just read the Metal Hammer Interview. All the KornRow admins were having a go at me because I said 'Never Never' was a JD song. It looks like I was right. According to the intervew JD wanted to write an electronic album and Head was let write some guitar driven tracks too because he's not into the electronic stuff. Thank god for Head.

Second single Love & Meth, much more like it!!

http://youtu.be/c71MeNGMItY

Never Never has grown on me. Liking both songs though. Looking forward to the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Listened to the new album around 4 times, pretty decent imo. I thought they lost the plot when they went all dubstep, but this is a return to more familiar territory. Never Never has really grown on me since I first heard it. Lullaby For A Sadist is another great track - (they used an instrumental version of this for that video promoting Head's return). A lively album with some awesome riffage! \m/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

2 hour show on Scuzz last night with interviews with the band.

The Paradigm Shift is very good album - definitely a step back in the right direction, the reunion with Head is a blessing in disguise because I would say that this was Korn's last chance with most fans.

As a poster said above this album is all about riffage, some great ones too and you can hear that Ray has free reign on the drums now and is a lot more confident in his playing.

Top tracks for me are...
    *Pray For Me - Awesome show opener.
    *Love and Meth - Great vocals in this song.
    *Paranoid and Aroused - Monster of a chorus with a nice circle pit breakdown at the end.
    *Never Never - Yes when I heard it first I was like Jesus this is woeful - feckin song has grown on me big time!

Hopefully will be doing European tour in 2014 - March / April I'd say just like last year so would be looking forward to hearing a few song off this album played live.

Shock of the century, I love the album. Great mix of subtle electronics with Untouchables-era riffs and Jon's inimitable vocals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement