Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how is life in Tara Court, Balbriggan?

Options
  • 03-05-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,
    I am new to the site :)

I was wondering if I could get some help from you as me and my other half are planning to move to Ireland from Italy and therefore we need a house.

I have seen a a few houses that are in our price range in Tara Court. They seem very beautiful and the estate itself seems a very quite place.
    Unfortunately, we are a few thousands kms away and cannot go around in the streets to see how it feels and how life is :confused:

Can you tell me what you know about this estate? Is it a safe estate, considering that we have 3 cats going around in the front and rear garden? What about anti social behaviour episodes?
    Also, do you think that we will have issues related to the fact that we are foreigners?

Many thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Tara court is like most of balbriggan, GRAND.
    You have good and bad everywhere. Its very near the centre of the town which is handy for shops etc.
    Its within walking distance from schools as well and about 6 mins from the beach.
    As for been foreigner's, Here we call THEM blow ins, and everyone is a blow in unless your born in the town.

My husbands Granny is 84 , she's still though of as some as a blow in.
    I'm here 20 years , and I'm a blow in, my daughter is 19 months, she's a Balbrigganer. Funny the way it works.

You will find Balbriggan very open to people that are non Irish, :P
    You wont have any concerns there.
    Place has a great vet up the road, hopefully you wont need it.
    Welcome, pm me with details of the house warming.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mikasa02

Hi, thanks for all the info, specially about the vet ;)
    I will pm you for sure, thank you for your support.

I am happy to hear that Tara Court is a nice place to live. However, any other word of advice will be really appreciated.

Cheers

Hi, it seems I am unable to send PMs :eek:

About the warming, it is not specifically indicated if it is electirc or gas. I suppose it will be electric then :(

The heating.?
    Could be oil or Gas.
    Not many people have electric.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

cathy01 wrote: »
    The heating.?
    Could be oil or Gas.
    Not many people have electric.

You've confused the poor man with your house warming :)

@Mikasa, we use the word house warming to describe a party you have when you move into a new house :)

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    You've confused the poor man with your house warming :)

@Mikasa, we use the word house warming to describe a party you have when you move into a new house :)

OH GOD , I GET IT NOW.
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, like I said Bella blond NO 8 has gone to my head.

Ha ha that is very funny :D I thought that the house warming was the house heating :D

Thanks everybody for the explanations ;)

How are the childhood services in the area? Are there creches, schools, sports and so on?

Thanks

Yes yes and Yes, lots of sports and Clubs and schools .youll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There are almost too many creches and schools to count- Balbriggan isn't lacking in that respect.

OP- I bought a house here two years ago with my fiancée and we both love it. The town is full of young families, it's a 25 minute drive from Dublin city yet it feels cosy and welcoming. The countryside is great, you have a lovely beach with many others close by. There are numerous quiet country lanes which are ideal for walking/cycling.

You have the biggest Tesco (largest supermarket chain in Ireland) in Dublin, a hardware store, LIDL, a library, a fantastic hotel, numerous small shops/cafes etc. It's a great place to be and almost no-one will give a damn that you're Italian. As long as you're a nice/good person that's all anyone will care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

i lived in Tara court for 3years,its among the nicest estates in balbriggan,its well settled.anti social behaviour is something I've never seen there.neighbours were lovely,a nice community spirit.all the houses in my part of the estate all had oil heating.

• Advertisement

Hi,

thank you so much for all your anwers!!! I am so happy to read so many positive things about Balbriggan :D

I was wondering, does it get very crowded during the summer and during the week ends? I was in Balbriggan in April, it was friday I think, and it took a long tome to pass through the village by car. I don't know if this was due to road works somewhere though.

Many thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

Hi,

It depends on the time of day. It is very busy when schools are starting/finishing. But you can bypass the town using the Harry Reynolds Road which is a ring road around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

There are almost too many creches and schools to count- Balbriggan isn't lacking in that respect.

This is true - provided you want your child to have a Christian (mainly Catholic at that) education. If you want a secular school then there are just two schools. Also, despite there being a good few schools, there are still very large lists to enroll, so if that is something you will need, don't delay in getting your child's name down or you could find yourself out of luck.

As for creches - there are a good number, some (much) better than others. So I would recommend asking for specific recommendations from other parents and also this is something you absolutely need to see yourself before deciding.

There are 2 vets in the town - one I would not recommend in a million years, the other one is very nice, but only open limited hours. Both have limited facilities (they are not fully equipped small animal surgery clinics). Both will send you to another branch should your pet need any sort of minor or major surgery. Having said that there are a few good vets in Swords, and if you have your own transport there is a great vet in Santry who I would highly recommend. It is Anicare vets and they have several practices around Dublin. There is also a good vet in Drogheda - All Pets. I would recommend either Anicare or All Pets over either vet in Balbriggan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Grown up in tara court and lived there for over 25 years.
    my parents still live there and i loved balbriggan so much that i moved only 5 minutes walk away.
    Im there every morning and evening at the folks house (free mothers dinners!) and its a beautiful quiet estate.
    There are only 101 houses and most of the people are settled there since the estate was built in the 1970s. It used to be on the edge of the town, now its closer to being in the centre! 5 minutes walk from the main street or tesco the other direction, when you get to know the town, you'll quickly learn the alternative roads to take to avoid traffic.
    Tara courts only failure is the free parking is being abused by people who dont live there, they park their cars in the estate before catching trains or buses and block the entrance area of the estate but its not too bad, just a bit annoying if you live there but there is talk of getting permit only parking in at some stage.
    Lovely gardens and well built homes, nice neighbours, plenty of safe green areas for kids to play, very little anti social behaviour and a very good community committee in the estate (be sure to join it). I love it, its my home even though ive bought my own house, its where i grew up and when i think of home i think of tara court and my parents house and the football pitch etc. As Balbriggan goes, its definitely one of the best estates to live / grow up, in.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

One of my mates lives in Tara Court and his house is gas heating.
    There's a neighbourhood watch in the estate and a lot of the residents look after the grass / flowers in the estate.
    The only problem is traffic in the morning / afternoon. There's two schools right outside the estate and the parents park everywhere. They park up on the path everything. There's a blind man living in Tara Court and I've seen him walk straight into cars parked up on the path a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scotchannie

Hi

you should visit these sites ... http://www.balbriggan.info/ & http://www.balbrigganparish.com/ & if you look at www.daft.ie for rentals...

I've been living here for the last 3 years and it is very quite and a nice place to live.. It's only 40 mins on the train to the city center and there are regular trains...

hope you have a safe move..

Advertisement