Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catering for a Crowd

Options
  • 03-05-2013 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I'm looking after the catering for a family occasion next week - approx 50 people.

We're hoping to have one or two dishes that can both be served with rice. What I have been asked for is something that can sit in a pot and be heated as needed throughout the day.

Any ideas? Beef straganoff and chicken curry have been suggested so far

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Chicken and mushroom in a white wine sauce (cheat and use the Schwarz one!) works well with rice.

It's the same sauce that you'd use with vol au vonts.

Otherwise a chop suey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Ooo that sounds nice! and simple to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Meatballs in a tomato sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DG Leixlip

How about 1 or 2 big lasagna's made up in advanced and sliced in the dish they were cooked in. People can re-heat individual slices as they need to (assuming you have a microwave) and a few salads on the side should last quite well left out beside them... ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

ask people to bring stuff cooked

add lasagna you could put 2 or 3 in the oven can be cooked then reheated then curry goes a long way it can be precooked and reheated

you could also do a barbecue as the men will jump in to do the cooking borrow one from friends,it also keeps people out of kitchen

http://www.greatpartyrecipes.com/cooking_for_large_groups.html

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/education/how-to-cater-a-party-for-50/c27504.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

You could make a chilli con carnie and a chicken & mushroom vol vonts with rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

I went to a cooking demo on catering for a crowd and they did a chicken tagine with couscous. The reason why she said couscous was that there's a risk of food poisoning with reheated rice.....which i did not know. She said that if you had a rice cooker that would be perfect to cook rice and keep it warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If cooking for a crowd I'd avoid mushrooms, maybe even cheese. A lot of people don't eat them. Also avoid needing the microwave, you'll build up a q fast.

Tangines and curries are good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Jambalaya is great; it's very tasty and very stable, you can let it go cold and reheat it easily without loss of texture if you make it with easy-cook rice- I have a personalized recipe that I use all the time if you're interested?

• Advertisement
Advertisement