Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday buggy

Options
  • 03-05-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi just wanted tips for best buggy to buy for a 6 month old for our holidays. We use a travel system so its too big to bring on plane. Need one that can recline for naps too. Light but durable and not too expensive. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Most strollers will do the job. I bought a Tippitoes stroller on Amazon for 70€ for travelling. We have been using it since last year when our daughter was 5 months old.
    She's happy in it when we travel and it has stood up to a few flights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

I'm looking at a fairly basic mama & papas one in tesco for €50 or a dimples one in Smyths for about €40

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I've used both of those and they are fine, not much recline, but not an issue after about 20 months.

For €28 more you could get this from Tesco:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/mamas-papas-flare-buggy-black-grey/653-7849.prd

It lies flat and if you take off the windshield and cosy toes, you have the same buggy as hte basic one. Most stores should have the Flare, I think its reduced from €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Thanks for feedback. Anyone use the mamas and papas Ollie? One for €50 on done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

scrgirl wrote: »
    Hi just wanted tips for best buggy to buy for a 6 month old for our holidays. We use a travel system so its too big to bring on plane. Need one that can recline for naps too. Light but durable and not too expensive. Any suggestions?

Not that it's not a good idea to have a smaller buggy for holidays, I think you'll find most airlines will take your buggy free of charge, as long as it folds. I think we have one of the largest prams/systems on the market and we've brought it on several trips (aer lingus, Ryanair, Air France/CityJet) and never got charged. Even had the carrycot with it. We did pack it in a special buggy travel bag to protect it during the trip (bag so big I could easily fit in it myself). Checked it in or left it at bottom of stairs at boarding gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

You could bring your travel system and check in your car seat s part of it.

flyguy wrote: »
    Not that it's not a good idea to have a smaller buggy for holidays, I think you'll find most airlines will take your buggy free of charge, as long as it folds. I think we have one of the largest prams/systems on the market and we've brought it on several trips (aer lingus, Ryanair, Air France/CityJet) and never got charged. Even had the carrycot with it. We did pack it in a special buggy travel bag to protect it during the trip (bag so big I could easily fit in it myself). Checked it in or left it at bottom of stairs at boarding gate.

The wheels fold but the seat part is seperate its a firstwheels city, similar to bugaboo... not sure if they would take two parts. Also they charge for a babyseat (ryan air)

You could bring your travel system and check in your car seat s part of it.

Do you mean check it in as luggage? pretty steep charges for this on ryanair unfortunatly, almost cheaper to buy a new buggy!

You can check 1 buggy per paying adult free of charge with Ryanair. The online menu is very tricky and makes you pay if you don't read it properly. If you select to check in a buggy it will give you a price and then under it it says in small print that you can actually bring it for free (I bet a lot of people don't read it and pay). I've been on a few Ryanair flights (with the huge travel system) and never paid for checking it in...

You can check 1 buggy per paying adult free of charge with Ryanair. The online menu is very tricky and makes you pay if you don't read it properly. If you select to check in a buggy it will give you a price and then under it it says in small print that you can actually bring it for free (I bet a lot of people don't read it and pay). I've been on a few Ryanair flights (with the huge travel system) and never paid for checking it in...

hmmm interesting, thanks for that info, do you know if we can check it in late 9flights already booked) also does that include car seat if its part of ts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you select to check in a buggy it will give you a price and then under it it says in small print that you can actually bring it for free (I bet a lot of people don't read it and pay).

You don't need to declare you have a buggy in advance, you can just turn up with one.

There's no need to check it in either, just go to the gate and they'll tag it there for you, although I've been through a couple of times without having it tagged. You can then bring it right to the steps of the plane, leave it at the bottom and they'll stick it in the hold.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You don't need to declare you have a buggy in advance, you can just turn up with one.

There's no need to check it in either, just go to the gate and they'll tag it there for you, although I've been through a couple of times without having it tagged. You can then bring it right to the steps of the plane, leave it at the bottom and they'll stick it in the hold.

Yes I meant to say that, but was just explaining the reason a lot of people think you have to pay for it.
    Like thisregard said, you don't need to do/book anything, just bring it to the airport. It's probably a good idea to get it tagged just in case they're being difficult at the gate.
    You have the option of checking it in or bringing it to the gate. Both have their dis-/advantages.
    If you leave it at checkin you have to drop it at outsize luggage and it never gets weighed;-) So if you happen to accidentally "drop" some of your heavier times in it... Or some >100ml liquids...
    The advantage of bringing it to the gate is you have somewhere for you child to sit/sleep while going through the airport.
    I've never brought more than 1 item (pram/bag) to checkin with Ryanair since the compete system fits in one bag.
    Have brought a separate carseat with aer lingus without problem...

Advertisement